Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby BobbyD » November 4th, 2021, 9:24 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
Elon Musk, Missy Cummings To Testify In Fatal Tesla Autopilot Crash Trial

The victim's family hired Cummings. Musk's attorneys may argue that he shouldn't be called as a witness.

- https://insideevs.com/news/545233/musk- ... lot-trial/

Cummings for those who haven't been enjoying the ire of the Teslarati in recent weeks is a Senior advisor to the NHTSA appointed on the tenuous grounds that she is a Professor of Engineering at Duke whose research interests cover such unrelated subjects as

Human-unmanned vehicle interaction, human-autonomous system collaboration, human-systems engineering, public policy implications of unmanned vehicles, and the ethical and social impact of technology.

- https://pratt.duke.edu/faculty/missy-cummings

No, this is a misunderstanding of how the US legal system works.

Musk's attorney is merely lighting up Cummings as a vested interest. Assuming this is a jury trial, the jurors will be selected on not having heard the comments of Musk's attorney. However, in the media, should the trial go against, Musk then the attorney has already set up in the media that at least one of the witnesses was biased as clearly shown in Cummings tweets, now deleted, being strongly against Tesla and autopilot.

Regards,

You are right, that isn't how the legal system works. Jurors are presented with evidence, jurors weigh evidence, jurors come to decision. Cummings stated belief based oh her professional expertise that Teslas are dangerous is no more disqualifying than Musk's 20% stake in Tesla and unlike Musk's 20% stake in Tesla isn't a vested interest from which she stands to benefit.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 4th, 2021, 12:14 pm

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
- https://insideevs.com/news/545233/musk- ... lot-trial/

Cummings for those who haven't been enjoying the ire of the Teslarati in recent weeks is a Senior advisor to the NHTSA appointed on the tenuous grounds that she is a Professor of Engineering at Duke whose research interests cover such unrelated subjects as

- https://pratt.duke.edu/faculty/missy-cummings

No, this is a misunderstanding of how the US legal system works.

Musk's attorney is merely lighting up Cummings as a vested interest. Assuming this is a jury trial, the jurors will be selected on not having heard the comments of Musk's attorney. However, in the media, should the trial go against, Musk then the attorney has already set up in the media that at least one of the witnesses was biased as clearly shown in Cummings tweets, now deleted, being strongly against Tesla and autopilot.

Regards,

You are right, that isn't how the legal system works. Jurors are presented with evidence, jurors weigh evidence, jurors come to decision. Cummings stated belief based oh her professional expertise that Teslas are dangerous is no more disqualifying than Musk's 20% stake in Tesla and unlike Musk's 20% stake in Tesla isn't a vested interest from which she stands to benefit.

No Cummings is working for President Biden and is following his lead to cripple Tesla to give union auto a chance to catch up.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 4th, 2021, 12:22 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
No Cummings is working for President Biden and is following his lead to cripple Tesla to give union auto a chance to catch up.

Regards,

Ah, that'll be why Motional and Waymo are facing the same criticsm...

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 4th, 2021, 2:25 pm

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

Smoke screen!

Biden is after Tesla to appease his union friends.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 4th, 2021, 3:14 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

Smoke screen!

Biden is after Tesla to appease his union friends.

Regards,

..or possibly because Waymo and Motional test their experimental software using a suitable license and where necessary trained safety drivers rather than just putting it in to the hands of cutomers.

Biden is vehemently pro-UAW, but this is not that. Your tin foil hat is showing.

On the subject of companies which have actual driverless cars on the road unlike Tesla:

Cruise, the autonomous driving subsidiary of General Motors, has started offering driverless rides in its Chevrolet Bolt EV-based vehicle around San Francisco.

- https://insideevs.com/news/545411/cruis ... less-ride/

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 4th, 2021, 8:49 pm

In a recent conversation with a petrol head I was putting forward the advantages of electric traction over ICE and before long he argued about what happens when the sun doesn't shine and the wind does not blow. It is not the first time someone has asked this question, it is becoming a little boring, but rather than go on about storage I thought it better to talk about taking solar and wind from a distant place that has a lot of both in a reliable manner and so I spoke of the Morocco to UK power line which caused draw dropping disbelief and then laughter, but it is a serious idea and was covered in this 14 min 50 seconds video:

https://youtu.be/iJunxkln578

Maybe other readers of this board will find some interest and use for debates in this.

The wire (that is a gross over simplification) is designed to power 7 million UK homes and is planned to be build in Scotland near a nuclear plant that will close shortly, providing potentially more jobs than will be lost at the nuke.

Should this or other similar ideas happen then the need to store this and local power will continue to increase and should funnel a lot of business to the folks who are good at making batteries and Tesla are the current leaders. Currently the valuation of Tesla has very little for storage and is potentially in need of a re-rating upwards should Tesla manage to produce the 4680 at scale.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 4th, 2021, 10:02 pm

BobbyD
..or possibly because Waymo and Motional test their experimental software using a suitable license and where necessary trained safety drivers rather than just putting it in to the hands of cutomers.

Biden is vehemently pro-UAW, but this is not that. Your tin foil hat is showing.

On the subject of companies which have actual driverless cars on the road unlike Tesla:

Cruise, the autonomous driving subsidiary of General Motors, has started offering driverless rides in its Chevrolet Bolt EV-based vehicle around San Francisco.

- https://insideevs.com/news/545411/cruis ... less-ride/

I have no idea why you think a trained safety driver is of any use. Anyone trained and skilled in driving will have a better safety record that a non trained person and most drivers are the latter. Doing tests with someone of exceptional skill tells you nothing about the way in which most drivers will use a product.

Yes, there are several driver-less schemes in restricted areas, but the need is for robotic systems that can drive anywhere not just in a specific geographic region.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 4th, 2021, 10:39 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:I have no idea why you think a trained safety driver is of any use. Anyone trained and skilled in driving will have a better safety record that a non trained person and most drivers are the latter. Doing tests with someone of exceptional skill tells you nothing about the way in which most drivers will use a product.

Yes, there are several driver-less schemes in restricted areas, but the need is for robotic systems that can drive anywhere not just in a specific geographic region.

Regards,

Because a driver trained to oversee developmental systems is more likely to be able to intervene in a timely manner if something goes wrong, and prevent innocent bystanders being harmed.

If the software is autonomous it doesn't need to interact with the driver, because it is the driver... Tesla aren't tweaking the UI, they are using public roads to run developmental software which is supposed eventually to become autonomous, or have we dropped that pretence?

Your need may be for a system which can drive anywhere, but that is plainly not a requirement for a taxi service or as somebody once called them 'robotaxis'. For that you need to be able to operate in a relatively compact but densely occupied area known to experts as a 'city'. A London cab doesn't need to be able to operate in Manchester let alone in Mumbai or Murmansk or Miami. Hell it might even refuse to go to Merton after midnight.

...and a car which is autonomous in a geofenced area is not only better than a car which isn't autonomous at all (Tesla), but it is likely to be a lot easier to expand or even eliminate the geofence than it is to make a non-autonomous system like Tesla's autonomous.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 4th, 2021, 11:32 pm

BobbyD
Because a driver trained to oversee developmental systems is more likely to be able to intervene in a timely manner if something goes wrong, and prevent innocent bystanders being harmed.

But didn't a waymo car kill a cyclist with a safety driver on board?

The goal off Tesla is robotic cars that can operate anywhere, not some geofenced system that is put out by the most modest of road works.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 5th, 2021, 7:46 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

But didn't a waymo car kill a cyclist with a safety driver on board?

The goal off Tesla is robotic cars that can operate anywhere, not some geofenced system that is put out by the most modest of road works.

Regards,

No Waymo didn't, and that's the second time you've made that error. No car using more than onelidar has been involved in a fatal accident.

An Uber AD using a single lidar killed a pedestrian some years back. Records show that the drivers phone was streaming the voice, and the driver has been charged with negligent homicide. If anything a death resulting from a safety driver not doing their job properly on a corner cutting project like the one Uber was forced to abandon argues strongly in favour of the proper implementation of safety drivers in AD development projects, especially in systems which rely heavily on vision and make elementary mistakes like confusing the sun for a traffic light.

Musk's stated aim was for '1 million robotaxis' to be on the road by the end of last year. He missed it by a little over 999,999.

Tesla's autonomous system can't be confounded by the most modest ofvroadworks because Tesla don't have an Autonomous system. Meanwhile actual driverless systems have for some time now been dealing effortlessly with roadworks, passing unloading lorries, and overcoming their innate desire to crash in to emergency response vehicles.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » November 5th, 2021, 9:12 am

odysseus2000 wrote:But didn't a waymo car kill a cyclist with a safety driver on board?

No.

I believe you're probably mistaking the Uber incident. It definitely wasn't Waymo.

All along Waymo have taken a very safety first view of developing self driving technology, and I'm not aware of any serious accident caused by one of their vehicles yet, and they seem to be very open with the regulators and the public detailing all incidents. And most incidents that have occurred with Waymo vehicles have been the fault of other parties and Waymo have been open about all the details in all cases.

And bear in mind, their vehicles are operating without any safety driver at all in some (geofenced) areas!

I really can't stress how significantly different and safety conscious Waymo are compared to Tesla and Uber in my view (In my view, it's no bad thing that Uber have given up on their FSD efforts.. they've apparently sold it to Aurora AI, who are likely to handle it better... one of the guys in Aurora AI moved there from the google / waymo self driving car project and he was one of the ones really promoting the waymo safety first approach.)

I know Tesla owners get a little sarcastic about Waymo being geofenced, but let's get real... Waymo might be limited to a geofenced area for self driving without a safety driver, but that's still more than Tesla, whose vehicles can't operate anywhere without a safety driver anywhere yet! Let alone everywhere!

Let's just repeat that because some Tesla fans don't seem to recognise this ... Tesla can't operate ANYwhere without a safety driver. But some Tesla fans seem to think they can operate EVERYwhere. Not without a safety driver they can't! Waymo's geofenced self driving without safety driver, is more that Tesla can do!

And watching even more Tesla FSD beta owner videos, Tesla still have a long way to go. And to be honest it feels (not unexpectedly to me as you might already be well aware from my previous posts) that the pace of Tesla progress is slowing down.

The videos still talk of 'disengagements per journey'... and a video I watched last night of someone testing their Tesla specifically for their commute - albeit on unbelievably quiet roads for a commute! - the disengagements per journey doesn't even seem to have particularly come down with recent versions... in fact the owner in the video said it's now getting somethings wrong that it didn't before.

In fact he said that a (difficult for humans) corner he had to take over on in the video, the Tesla had always managed to take well on all his previous journeys.

But there-in lies a big problem with Tesla and why I believe they still have a very long way to way ... specifically that it still feels very 'fragile'.

By fragile, I mean that I don't get the feeling that it has a settled, stable model or interpretation of the world around it and the task in hand.

Just small differences, imperceptible to humans seem to make a difference of whether the Tesla handles a situation well, or whether an intervention is needed.

Sometimes the differences are leading the Tesla owner to wonder just what on earth is going on. I recall one video I watched, and the Tesla was at a totally unobstructed junction, totally clear views, no obstructions, and the driver had to intervene. The driver was puzzled because he said the car had handled that junction fine previously, and couldn't see why it should now have any issue. In this case it wasn't even a tricky junction for humans - probably one of the easiest around.

It always feels like Tesla FSD is on a knife edge... and that, at least in some situations, is echoed by the Tesla owners themselves... the video I watched last night the narrator said that he always feels nervous when the car is going to cut across fast traffic.

And I don't blame them! At other points in the video, and other videos that I've seen, it seems that the latest FSD version has become a bit more assertive, and has a number of times pulled out when joining a road, right in front of vehicles already on the road, forcing those vehicles to have to brake.

Contrast with the Waymo, where people who have driven in the Waymos quickly feel at ease and reassured. They don't feel out of control even though there's no-one in the driving seat. They don't feel concerned as to 'will it, or won't it' each time it does something.

Which is quite a feat that really can't be overstated, and something that Tesla seems to be quite a way from achieving yet.

Yep, my view is still that Tesla have quite a way to go yet before FSD can really be released (though whether Musk will feel the pressure and release before it's really ready... I must admit, I could easily see that happening).

But anyway, Tesla aren't the only ones around. Waymo already have FSD working without safety drivers.

And the unknown (at least to me), there are plenty of other companies developing full self driving as well, but a bit more secretively in terms of what they are letting known.

A few of the Tesla videos the drivers have commented that they've got other companies self driving cars in front of them at times, and not just Waymo. Though I forget the names of the others they've mentioned.

I'll admit, I would be surprised if some of these others suddenly sprang an announcement that they had finished, and their FSD is now suddenly available for release, because you'd expect that anyone thinking they are getting near to releasing a self driving car, must surely need to test them on actual real roads extensively before any release, and that would be hard to do at the scale required, in secret.

But it could happen in theory.

Though my money would still be on Waymo as getting there properly first... I mean with a serious product that works and can be trusted.

Though like I say, I wouldn't be surprised if Musk's ego pushes him to release Tesla FSD before it's really ready if he gets the whiff that Waymo might be about to beat him to it.

Let's not forget, most of the big car manufacturers also seem to have self driving efforts, albeit, they are being a bit more secretive about their technology and their progress. But they do have the funds to do proper R&D and they realise self driving is the future. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see some self driving surprises from some of them in the near future.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 5th, 2021, 10:37 am

onthemove wrote:Let's not forget, most of the big car manufacturers also seem to have self driving efforts, albeit, they are being a bit more secretive about their technology and their progress. But they do have the funds to do proper R&D and they realise self driving is the future. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see some self driving surprises from some of them in the near future.

GM have Cruise and it would be difficult to describe the video of their first driverless ride posted above as being below the radar, Hyundai have hooked up with APTIV (nee Delphi) whose Coast to Coast in 2015 prompted Musk's ill feted boast that Tesla would Coast to Coast in 2017, Ford and VW who both own 40% of Argo AI are both rolling out programmes using integrated Argo tech... The real lesser knowns from our point of view are Chinese developments.

Pretty picture:

- https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/05/volks ... acEttc0G-k

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » November 5th, 2021, 11:13 am

BobbyD wrote:GM have Cruise and it would be difficult to describe the video of their first driverless ride posted above as being below the radar,

By secrecy, I was meaning more in terms of technical discussions of how they're doing, though clearly if they've put out a first driverless ride, that would seem pretty far advanced - I'll have to have a detailed look at that video you linked to later (I should be working at the moment). It'll be interesting to see if people start putting out regular videos on their rides like JJ Ricks did for the Waymo taxis.

But yes, it's more the under the covers technical capabilities that I'm interested in. To some extent you can get a good feel from watching the user experience on youtube and closely watching what the vehicle seems to respond to, etc, but a few technical videos from the developers help a lot.

Both Tesla and Waymo do seem to be putting out more technical videos detailing their computational architecture, I've not yet seen details from others, though I think some might be partnering with nVidia who do put out a lot of technical stuff as a general platform, but it's not always clear which companies might be using that in actual cars, as opposed to it just being an nVidia offering to anyone who might want it.

BobbyD wrote:The real lesser knowns from our point of view are Chinese developments.

It's funny, but I actually have a better feel for chinese efforts than other non-Tesla / non-Waymo US efforts... YouTube has recommended a few videos of chinese efforts to me, including their version of a self driving taxi without safety driver - already available to the public - and that coincidentally is using the same vehicle type as Waymo.

Some might wonder whether this is a sign the self driving tech is stolen, or is it just a case that that particular vehicle is particularly well suited to adaption for self driving and Chrysler were happy to sell them.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » November 5th, 2021, 11:21 am

BobbyD wrote:GM have Cruise and it would be difficult to describe the video of their first driverless ride posted above as being below the radar,

Not had time to watch the vids in detail but skim reading the article, it's a little disappointing...

"the California DMV’s “driverless deployment permit” granted to Cruise in early October stipulates that AVs can only operate driverless between 10 pm and 6 am and at a max speed of 30 mph (50 km/h)."

Might not be a limitation of the vehicle, but 30mph isn't much of a test. The Waymo driverless taxis in Phoenix regularly go faster than that. (See JJ Ricks videos)

Also a bit disappointing how they seem to be bigging it up as such a first, when Waymo already have a similar service - without such time and speed restrictions - running elsewhere, and have had for a while now.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 5th, 2021, 12:18 pm

onthemove wrote:

Not had time to watch the vids in detail but skim reading the article, it's a little disappointing...

"the California DMV’s “driverless deployment permit” granted to Cruise in early October stipulates that AVs can only operate driverless between 10 pm and 6 am and at a max speed of 30 mph (50 km/h)."

Might not be a limitation of the vehicle, but 30mph isn't much of a test. The Waymo driverless taxis in Phoenix regularly go faster than that. (See JJ Ricks videos)

Also a bit disappointing how they seem to be bigging it up as such a first, when Waymo already have a similar service - without such time and speed restrictions - running elsewhere, and have had for a while now.

They aren't my horse but I think you might be being slightly over-critical. The license is conservative, but then we are lauding safety first approaches and as far as I'm aware they've only claimed it is a first for them. Still it's one more than Tesla, and the more strings Autonomous has to its bow the better!

ETA: Speed wouldn't be my major disappointment in that, it would be the absence of congested roads which provide a harder test. 2am in the morning on a clear well lit street the difference between 30 and an appropriate 40 isn't nearly as big as a seething mass of angry commuters and school run tanks, but we don't know what they are doing during the day with a safety driver present. It's important not to take an absence of evidence as evidence of absence, as was shown by the electrification debate further back in the thread.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 6th, 2021, 9:58 pm

Nov 6 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Elon Musk on Saturday asked his 62.5 million followers on Twitter in a poll if he should sell 10% of his Tesla stock.

"Much is made lately of unrealized gains being a means of tax avoidance, so I propose selling 10% of my Tesla stock," Musk wrote in a tweet referring to a "billionaires' tax" proposed by Democrats in the U.S. Senate.

Musk tweeted that he will abide by the results of the poll, whichever way it goes.

The poll received over 700,000 responses in one hour since he posted it, with nearly 56% of respondents approving the proposal to sell the shares.

Musk's shareholding in Tesla comes to about 170.5 million shares as of June 30 and selling 10% of his stock would amount close to $21 billion based on Friday's closing, according to Reuters calculations.

Analysts say he may have to offload a significant number of shares anyway to pay taxes since a large number of options will expire next year.

- https://www.reuters.com/technology/musk ... 021-11-06/

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 6th, 2021, 10:29 pm

BobbyD wrote:
Nov 6 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Elon Musk on Saturday asked his 62.5 million followers on Twitter in a poll if he should sell 10% of his Tesla stock.

"Much is made lately of unrealized gains being a means of tax avoidance, so I propose selling 10% of my Tesla stock," Musk wrote in a tweet referring to a "billionaires' tax" proposed by Democrats in the U.S. Senate.

Musk tweeted that he will abide by the results of the poll, whichever way it goes.

The poll received over 700,000 responses in one hour since he posted it, with nearly 56% of respondents approving the proposal to sell the shares.

Musk's shareholding in Tesla comes to about 170.5 million shares as of June 30 and selling 10% of his stock would amount close to $21 billion based on Friday's closing, according to Reuters calculations.

Analysts say he may have to offload a significant number of shares anyway to pay taxes since a large number of options will expire next year.

- https://www.reuters.com/technology/musk ... 021-11-06/

Can't quite decide what to think of this. It is very like his "funding secured" tweet that gave an excellent entry for buyers as the equity dived, paused for a while and then blasted through his proposed buy back price and hasn't stopped much since.

Things that went through my mind:

He wants to make friends with the President

He wants to signal that he thinks the stock price is too high.

He wants to be seen as someone who helps the USA.

A wealthy counter party wants 10% of Tesla and this is how Musk gets it to them.

etc

I could go on and on and I am sure some will ask what is he smoking while other will applaud him for paying tax.

How will the market react? My guess is gap down, but then I have no idea. Almost every one who bought Tesla equity is now sitting on a huge profit which is always nice to realise save for the taxes, but there are also a lot of folk who desperately want in.

All very interesting!

Regards,

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 7th, 2021, 10:29 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Can't quite decide what to think of this.

My understanding of the regulation of the US market is very limited. However in the UK this is almost certainly a breach of market information legislation, using social media and not the official channels to signal potential information on trades, and potential price information, of a significant investor.

Why would anyone take such an approach?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 7th, 2021, 12:40 pm

dealtn wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Can't quite decide what to think of this.

My understanding of the regulation of the US market is very limited. However in the UK this is almost certainly a breach of market information legislation, using social media and not the official channels to signal potential information on trades, and potential price information, of a significant investor.

Why would anyone take such an approach?

One of the major problems Musk has run in to with his twitter account is that it is recognised as a method of disseminating price sensitive information, after Tesla notified the SEC that it could be used as such.

Doesn't clear things up much that this is a 'poll. I'm sure he has opened himself up one front or another, and what if he doesn't follow through?

After taxes it would leave him 2ith enough to pay this bill:

Investors argue Musk should repay $9.4 bln to Tesla for SolarCity deal

https://www.reuters.com/business/invest ... 021-10-04/

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 7th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Twitter tells Musk to sell.

Will be super interesting to see what the equity does once US markets open.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”