Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Transition to Electric Car Endeavours

The Big Picture Place
odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Transition to Electric Car Endeavours

Postby odysseus2000 » April 20th, 2024, 1:09 am

Adamski wrote:A lot of people who have an EV have a petrol second car on the drive. Yes I do think they'll be the future eventually, if we have the charging network, the journey range, and the prices come down. However there's no guarantee it'll be in place for 2035 or 2030. Guess we'll see in the Q1 figures but Tesla is worst performer in the S&P YTD down 40% so the market is anticipating bad results, or correcting to a lower growth rare.

Tesla is one of the best movers on the US stock market & has made a lot of money for bulls & bears. Over the last few months fast money has been shorting Tesla & going long into the AI plays, especially Nvidia.

We are now seeing Nvidia correct along with arm & other AI plays. Where that money now goes is unclear, but some has gone in to treasuries with the 10 year well off its lows for the year. Tesla have already told us that sales are down. On Tuesday we will get to know about margins, whether buying Nvidia chips has hurt Tesla’s cash balance or whether dojo has been useful saving them from buying as much Nvidia chips as say X has. We may also get some steer on what they are planning regarding the model 2 & maybe some stuff on robo taxi. Possibly some information on how good FSD is in terms of accidents per mile & how close or better they are to being super human in driving. There will be additional stuff on storage sales, possibly more steer on cyber truck, Optimus & semi. There is a lot of potential information not all related to the car part of their business that may come out & likely more info from Nvidia in the by & by as to, for example, if Jensen will split Nvidia stock.

This high beta tech space is a complex convolution of businesses, interest rates & money rotations.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 23rd, 2024, 12:22 am

It is interesting how Germany has removed the subsidies for electric cars causing take up to decline.

As is Germany seems intent on protecting its legacy car fuels for as long as possible. Munro did a tear down of the ID4 & noted it was not competitive in performance & price. Some VW engineers anonymously noted that they were deliberately ordered to dumb down the ID4 to make it less attractive than ice cars.

Sabine Hossenfelder (German YouTube physicist) did a video where she feels hybrids are the short term future (7:34):

https://youtu.be/zX2n2-acksw?si=E8c0TG7ERmGqRlgJ

She also says the EU believes it will have to spend 584billion per year till 2030 to upgrade the grid. If we round this up to 600billion that is (6x600) = 3600 billion by 2030. If we take European population as 360 million, that is 10,000 Euro per European which seems crazy large to me. She also makes the point that there are many renewable energy projects that can’t get bureaucratic permission to connect to the grid. Tesla had similar long delays forced on them while building Giga Berlin.

A cynic might argue that European politicians are happy for their voters to breathe in pollution so long as legacy auto keeps coming to them with bribes.

Meanwhile the new electric vehicle & renewable industries that could give their voters well paid jobs are being delayed by rules, regulations & encouraged sloth while China runs ahead at full speed. Kind of reminds me how UK legacy auto was run prior to it being destroyed by Japanese imports.

Regards,

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 23rd, 2024, 12:11 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:It is interesting how Germany has removed the subsidies for electric cars causing take up to decline....
A cynic might argue that European politicians are happy for their voters to breathe in pollution so long as legacy auto keeps coming to them with bribes.

Grid limitations will slow the takeup of EVs.
And reduce the immediate pain for the voters who will have to pay for the grid to be upgraded.
Politicians never want to be the bearers of bad news.
So they find a way to avoid it.

V8

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » April 23rd, 2024, 12:24 pm

88V8 wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:It is interesting how Germany has removed the subsidies for electric cars causing take up to decline....

Grid limitations will slow the takeup of EVs.
And reduce the immediate pain for the voters who will have to pay for the grid to be upgraded.

V8

I understand that in desperation, some EV charging infrastructure is being run off diesel generators while the operators wait patiently for local grid connections :roll:

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 23rd, 2024, 12:40 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
I think you're letting perfection be the enemy of the good. We're already pretty much there for many people.
[...]
Not that it's not getting better with every month that goes by, but exactly how good does the charging network need to be, if most people can charge from home and most people don't do more than their car's range in one day?

For many people, especially the slow adopters, the answer is "Good enough to cope with my very occasional unusually long journeys. I agree, it is getting better all the time, but it is not as ideal as the converts claim, nor as bad as the naysayers claim. I'm off to Cadwell Park for the weekend, 150 miles each way so don't usually stop en route, plus a bit of running about whilst there. I would need to recharge. A quick look online says there are points at the Morissons next door to the B&B, so providing they work and I have an account with the relevant supplier and am prepared to pay their tariff and I'm happy to leave the car in a supermarket car park overnight assuming they don't lock it then I should be fine. It is doable, just slightly inconvient.

If you have a car with a range of 250 miles and can charge 80% in 30 minutes as is becoming the standard for that kind of level - you can (just!) do Southampton to Stirling with one charging stop of 30 minutes.

Theoretically yes, practically, probably not. You would need a guarantee that the charger required will be available in the location you desire and working at the output you need. The neighbour of a friend bought a rather expensive long range BEV and says that a good 50% of the time the high output chargers are delivering 50% or less of the speed advertised, even when he has been the only vehicle there. And this is someone who doesn't object to paying 80p/kWh at a services top up. Again, at the moment down to the acceptable level of expense/inconvenience, but for them it was defninitely the wrong choice. At least they leased rather than bought, unlike my old school friend who often bemoans how little his VW ID5 is worth, although he was very happy with how much he'd made on it 3 years ago ;)

So in what way, exactly, do you think there is a problem with journey range?

Personally speaking 400 miles would be my comfort zone, as I'm in the Midlands. Were I still in Devon then 600 miles would be enough to get me to my sister's and back at Xmas. And yes, I know I would need to refuel an ICE for that distance, but I also know there are 3 filling stations including a large Tesco between her place and the M60. I'd also be travelling with MrsF so any stops were 5 min for a wee and driver swap.

And while there's been a lot of talk of high depreciation lately, that's mostly been driven by Tesla and seems to be overdone - what I'm hearing is that decent secondhand cars are selling quickly, those £13k offers for scotview's ID.3 sound like they're taking the mick in the current market unless there's something badly wrong with it.

Typical offers are under 50% after 2 years compared with 3 years for an ICE. However that's been skewed by the Boom a few years ago, when I looked a while back thy BEV equivalents of ICE 2019/20 cars were cheaper, compared to a 10-20% premium when new. Range at that age was typically 150-200 miles, or less as it was more basic tech. Will the newer generation suffer as badly?

And running costs have come down whilst fossil fuels get ever more expensive.

Again, only when you have access to cheap charging. MrsF's niece paid more to top up their Cupra on the motorway than the diesel cost for the round trip when they came from Chorleywood the other weekend, mainly as the charger they used in town when we went for a meal was charging at about 200W (yup, 200W) although they didn't realise this until they got back to it.

Just to give an example, here's a 70-plate Hyundai Kona for £15k with 29,800 miles on the clock, 150kW charging (ie 32 minutes for 80%), 64kWh for 279 official range, [...]
It's not sexy but I'd say that looks a pretty good package for £15k, it's hard to say it looks expensive against similar ICE cars - and then you save money on running costs.

So exactly how much more do prices need to come down?

Another £5k at the bottom of the market.

Prices are getting there - on autotrader at the moment there are 7280 cars under £10k and 2019 or newer, only 44 of which are electric with a 200+ mile range, although 258 available with a 150+ mile range. £10k is more than we've ever spent on our 'runaround' car, £6-8k was more normal. I'll ignore the fact MrsF would rather drive a hearse than an SUV which always limits our options :)

That's not to say the current state of the art works for everyone, it doesn't - but I'd suggest the technology is already at the stage where it is good enough for a majority of people, affordability is getting better, and the comparison with the internet of 2000 - quite expensive and not quite there technology-wise, but getting there on both counts - is not a bad one. At the very least, the onus falls on sceptics to state their case more specifically than "I don't believe this".

I agree - I think we are a couple of years away from there being enough cars with enough range at the correct prices for mass market runabouts, but I think the issue will be the higher depreciation we've seen on early models compared to ICEs and the rapid evolution of tech until circa 2020 has skewed perceptions. The early cars with short range are undesirable, hence they're cheap. Tax benefits and grants are disappearing so new ones become less cost effective, and lease deals seem to be increasing slightly. I do think a lot of people bought in Covid and thought the massive residuals were going to be the norm, not realising that the 50% over 3 years WAS going to happen, just condensed into the last 2 years. And that is another issue - if BEVs are dropping at 25% pa (which lies, damn lies, and statistics shows to be true) then that puts people off them and is self supporting until the new market dries up.

Paul

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 23rd, 2024, 12:53 pm

DrFfybes wrote:For many people, especially the slow adopters, the answer is "Good enough to cope with my very occasional unusually long journeys. I agree, it is getting better all the time, but it is not as ideal as the converts claim, nor as bad as the naysayers claim. I'm off to Cadwell Park for the weekend, 150 miles each way so don't usually stop en route, plus a bit of running about whilst there. I would need to recharge. A quick look online says there are points at the Morissons next door to the B&B, so providing they work and I have an account with the relevant supplier and am prepared to pay their tariff and I'm happy to leave the car in a supermarket car park overnight assuming they don't lock it then I should be fine. It is doable, just slightly inconvient.

You missed off "And provided 200 other EV-driving visitors to the event at Cadwell Park aren't also planning to use the same Morrisons charging point."

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » April 23rd, 2024, 1:26 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:It is interesting how Germany has removed the subsidies for electric cars causing take up to decline.

As is Germany seems intent on protecting its legacy car fuels for as long as possible.

Nice conspiracy theory which rather falls down on the fact that the UK has removed almost all of its subsidies for electric cars as well. There's a limited pot of subsidies, and now that EVs make sense without subsidy, that limited budget is better targeted at decarbonising less mature markets like home heating.

odysseus2000 wrote:Munro did a tear down of the ID4 & noted it was not competitive in performance & price. Some VW engineers anonymously noted that they were deliberately ordered to dumb down the ID4 to make it less attractive than ice cars.

And yet VW are managing to grow sales at over 15%, with higher gross margins than Tesla. Maybe they know what they're doing?

odysseus2000 wrote:She also says the EU believes it will have to spend 584billion per year till 2030 to upgrade the grid. If we round this up to 600billion that is (6x600) = 3600 billion by 2030. If we take European population as 360 million, that is 10,000 Euro per European which seems crazy large to me.

Which is why you don't rely on Youtube randoms for factual information, when a quick Google allows you to go to the original source, which is €584bn between 2023 and a "target" (which is going to be missed, let's face it) of 2030 :
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... ip_23_6044

Sometimes a figure just feels all wrong, especially when one knows that the British grid's at a fairly detailed planning stage and has come up with a figure of £58bn to adapt to a renewable future, or £866 per capita. I recommend you read it rather than relying on random Youtubes :
https://www.nationalgrideso.com/future- ... eyond-2030

odysseus2000 wrote:She also makes the point that there are many renewable energy projects that can’t get bureaucratic permission to connect to the grid. Tesla had similar long delays forced on them while building Giga Berlin.

That's just bureaucracy and the fact that this kind of transformation of the grid is not easy - British and US renewables have the same problem, although Germany has its own problems with infrastructure as demonstrated by the decades they took over the new Berlin airport. Reconfiguring the entire basis of electricity generation is a massive project, but we have had similar challenges before like building out the 400kV grid, and the transition from town gas to methane. These things just take time - and floating accusations of conspiracies just distracts from the process.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 23rd, 2024, 2:26 pm

BullDog wrote:
88V8 wrote:Grid limitations will slow the takeup of EVs.

V8

I understand that in desperation, some EV charging infrastructure is being run off diesel generators while the operators wait patiently for local grid connections :roll:

A quick Google on the topic suggests that is not quite correct.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... generators

They are used on occasion, but then again a lot of places use diesel gennys on occasion. For a start it would be massively uneconomical. Fuel oil contains about 10kWh/L, but the generators aren' very efficient, typically 40%, so you're looking at 40p/kWh generation costs as a starting point.

Paul

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 23rd, 2024, 6:29 pm

DrFfybes wrote:....I'll ignore the fact MrsF would rather drive a hearse than an SUV which always limits our options :)

Well, now you can both be happy.

And it's British.

V8

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 26th, 2024, 10:53 am

Harry, of Harry’s garage, who is not a fan of electric cars did this review of the new model 3 (24:32) that may be of interest:

https://youtu.be/eFc0BtfsIX8?si=Oo-ahbsjn-z7Mp7A

According to his tests he achieved around 4 miles per kWh & he found good & bad points.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”