Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pension liabilities - COVID-19

The Big Picture Place
TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Pension liabilities - COVID-19

Postby TUK020 » April 15th, 2020, 10:30 am

I wonder if COVID 19 will have a material effect on life expectancy in the UK, and thus the actuarial liabilities of pension funds.
Anyone more numerate than me in a position to comment?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Pension liabilities - COVID-19

Postby dealtn » April 15th, 2020, 12:18 pm

TUK020 wrote:I wonder if COVID 19 will have a material effect on life expectancy in the UK, and thus the actuarial liabilities of pension funds.

It's too early to say at the moment I would suggest. It's also not just about this wave, but the likelihood both of a return, or the pricing in of future pandemics which would I think I have had a very small probability on pre-Covid19 mortality risk tables.

The bigger move on the liability side of a pension funds balance sheet will likely be from interest, and inflation rates. That is also too early to predict unfortunately. Deflationary forces currently keeping both low, but the inflationary impact of the policy "medicine" might blow both much higher in the forward space.

Companies with historic pension issues are also often those that carry large debt on their balance sheets, and it will be important to know what proportion of that is fixed rate, and how much an inflationary episode might assist in reducing the real burden of that debt, and how much pricing power they have for their own products.

Interesting times indeed.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pension liabilities - COVID-19

Postby supremetwo » April 15th, 2020, 2:00 pm

TUK020 wrote:I wonder if COVID 19 will have a material effect on life expectancy in the UK, and thus the actuarial liabilities of pension funds.

Not Corvid as yet, but such as obesity and diabetes are said to have added £1bn from longevity not rising as expected in these 2014 and 2018 articles:-

https://www.nhs.uk/news/obesity/obesity ... of-health/

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/ ... cy-pension

In March (2018), the UK’s biggest life insurer Aviva said the changes had allowed it to reduce longevity reserves by £290m, while Standard Life Aberdeen reported a £79m boost in February. As more insurers release reserves, the total gain is likely to far exceed £1bn.

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”