Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Why are markets up?

The Big Picture Place
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Why are markets up?

Postby Adamski » November 4th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Does anyone know. I thought the markets didn't like uncertainty. Was convinced footsie would drop on Monday cause of the lockdown, and US drop all week with uncertainty and today no winner yet as too close to call, but have three days of gains. Up across the board today??

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Why are markets up?

Postby odysseus2000 » November 4th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Adamski wrote:Does anyone know. I thought the markets didn't like uncertainty. Was convinced footsie would drop on Monday cause of the lockdown, and US drop all week with uncertainty and today no winner yet as too close to call, but have three days of gains. Up across the board today??

Yes, but pre-history is important and we had about 13 down days in the S&P before the up moves.

Probably the short position got too crowded and folk were forced to cover with riots and civil war still not seen despite the very tight race.

My guess would be that if Trump wins the market will rally hard, if Biden wins the markets will sell off in the short term.

However, I only trade what ever happens and I would not let any guess dictate how I trade.

The market will show its hand when its ready and I am patient enough to wait and not bother if I miss a move through being cautious.

Regards,

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » November 4th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Adamski wrote:Does anyone know. I thought the markets didn't like uncertainty. Was convinced footsie would drop on Monday cause of the lockdown, and US drop all week with uncertainty and today no winner yet as too close to call, but have three days of gains. Up across the board today??

Market reckons Biden's gonna take it outright.

GS

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 4th, 2020, 4:37 pm

GoSeigen wrote:

GS

=====================

certainly doesnt sound like that to me .

:?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 4th, 2020, 4:42 pm

It may be that the market is happy to have Biden as president but the Republicans still holding the senate.

Everyone will have to make reasonable compromises, the US will have a more moderate president and he will not be able to push through the more left wing democrat policies. Sounds like quite a good outcome?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 4th, 2020, 5:30 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:It may be that the market is happy to have Biden as president but the Republicans still holding the senate.

Everyone will have to make reasonable compromises, the US will have a more moderate president and he will not be able to push through the more left wing democrat policies. Sounds like quite a good outcome?

reasonable compromises!!!!

I am not sure that fits into the US politicians mind set.

If it is Biden Prez and a GOP Senate, likely nothing much gets done and the markets might like that.

Regards,

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 4th, 2020, 5:53 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Yes, but pre-history is important and we had about 13 down days in the S&P before the up moves.
Probably the short position got too crowded and folk were forced to cover with riots and civil war still not seen despite the very tight race.
My guess would be that if Trump wins the market will rally hard, if Biden wins the markets will sell off in the short term.

Yes the 3 weeks of falling markets has been partly offset by gains the last 3 days. Not that I'm complaining! always good to see markets going up. Guess there's going to be volatility next few days.

I suppose until we have a new president and the release of the stimulus package, then should settle down (or up).

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » November 4th, 2020, 5:53 pm

jackdaww wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:

GS

=====================

How so?

GS

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 4th, 2020, 6:00 pm

What amazed me is how many silent Trump voters came out and voted. The so called "silent majority" (although not a majority in this case).

Like over here, the right wing voters keep their own counsel. Which means that every election the pollsters massively under-estimate the right wing vote. And the guardianistas on social media have a freak-out/ meltdown cause in their bubbles they do not know of anyone who could vote Tory/Brexit/etc.

Which explains why in American cities they have to board up shops and offices in case it goes in a unexpected direction.

mao44
Lemon Pip

Postby mao44 » November 5th, 2020, 2:21 pm

US markets rising as the Democrats expected to push through the £3 trillion stimulus fairly quickly

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 5th, 2020, 2:38 pm

mao44 wrote:

US markets rising as the Democrats expected to push through the £3 trillion stimulus fairly quickly

Can they get such a bill through the Senate?

Regards,

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 5th, 2020, 3:30 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

Yes, the Senate being held Rep will block tax rises, but pass the stimulus, hence Nasdaq up again.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 5th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Adamski wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

Yes, the Senate being held Rep will block tax rises, but pass the stimulus, hence Nasdaq up again.

Whilst the senate will agree to a stimulus bill it will be a lot less than the democrats wanted because the GOP won't allow it to be used to bail out the cities that have got themselves into huge debt that was nothing to do with Covid.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 5th, 2020, 3:48 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
Adamski wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

Whilst the senate will agree to a stimulus bill it will be a lot less than the democrats wanted because the GOP won't allow it to be used to bail out the cities that have got themselves into huge debt that was nothing to do with Covid.

We should also remember that if there is a smooth transition to a Biden administration, there will be no stimulus bill by him till January and then lots of trouble and negotiations before anything gets passed.

Regards,

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » November 5th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Perhaps the markets have concluded Biden will win and the trade war with China will end thus stimulating trade.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » November 5th, 2020, 6:59 pm

jackdaww wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:

GS

=====================

So has President Goodluck Banana won yet?

GS

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 6th, 2020, 10:31 am

GS: so has President Goodluck Banana won yet?

Think Biden's closing in. Leads in Georgia, with 99% counted, so very close to securing it now. Going to be disputed by Trump, cause that's what he like. Still makes a change from discussing Covid and Brexit!

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 6th, 2020, 11:24 am

Just read that Sleepy Joe's wife is an English Professor. That plus Kamala Harris is a high powered attorney in law. These will be the real Potus. Joe hasn't a clue what's going on.

My theory is that Kamala will be caretaker for a bit then take over before long. The left want a black woman as president. And this is one way they can do it.

Besides the power is temptered sonewhat by Rep Senate and supreme court.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » November 6th, 2020, 12:21 pm

When Biden called his granddaughter by his deceased son's name and made a few other such gaffs, voters must now realise that the game is nearly up for Sleepy Joe. He will be a transitional President meaning Kamala Harris will sooner than later be the President in all but name only and within the next four years probably President.

What amazes me is how a country the size of the USA, with presumably many talented people, ends up with such unsuitable candidates for President. Having said that we probably could have done a lot better when Boris and Corbyn competed for the top job. What is it about politics?

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » November 6th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Mike88 wrote:we probably could have done a lot better when Boris and Corbyn competed for the top job.

You reckon?
/s

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”