Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Why are markets up?

The Big Picture Place
vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Re: Why are markets up?

Postby vagrantbrain » November 6th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Mike88 wrote:What amazes me is how a country the size of the USA, with presumably many talented people, ends up with such unsuitable candidates for President. Having said that we probably could have done a lot better when Boris and Corbyn competed for the top job. What is it about politics?

I think these days the really talented people prefer to keep a lower profile and call the shots from behind the scenes. Better to be a backer/contributor who is owed favours than be the politician who owes them IMHO.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 6th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Mike88 wrote:When Biden called his granddaughter by his deceased son's name and made a few other such gaffs, voters must now realise that the game is nearly up for Sleepy Joe. He will be a transitional President meaning Kamala Harris will sooner than later be the President in all but name only and within the next four years probably President.

What amazes me is how a country the size of the USA, with presumably many talented people, ends up with such unsuitable candidates for President. Having said that we probably could have done a lot better when Boris and Corbyn competed for the top job. What is it about politics?

=========================

i dont care if biden falls over .

i just want rid of the appalling trump.

my blood boils whenever i hear him .

:x :x

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 6th, 2020, 5:22 pm

jackdaww wrote:
Mike88 wrote:When Biden called his granddaughter by his deceased son's name and made a few other such gaffs, voters must now realise that the game is nearly up for Sleepy Joe. He will be a transitional President meaning Kamala Harris will sooner than later be the President in all but name only and within the next four years probably President.

What amazes me is how a country the size of the USA, with presumably many talented people, ends up with such unsuitable candidates for President. Having said that we probably could have done a lot better when Boris and Corbyn competed for the top job. What is it about politics?

Yes this is the issue for me too. It says a lot that a 78 year old "nice" grandad won this race. But I shall sleep much better once Trump's finger is not on the button.

John

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » November 6th, 2020, 5:49 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

Yes this is the issue for me too. It says a lot that a 78 year old "nice" grandad won this race. But I shall sleep much better once Trump's finger is not on the button.

John

I agree except for the fact Trump has another couple of months in the White House to cause mayhem.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 6th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Mike88 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

John

I agree except for the fact Trump has another couple of months in the White House to cause mayhem.

Unfortunately I realise I have to wait until January to get my good nights sleep :(

John

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 6th, 2020, 11:45 pm

I find it fascinating how politicians are able to polarise emotions and especially how investors become focused on personalities rather than business.

One gets very few people or investors who are neutral on Thatcher, Reagan or Trump.

I imagine the big celebrations will be in Beijing, board rooms who want to ship manufacturing to China and big tech who no longer have to worry about potential breakup via anti-trust.

I imagine the biggest worries are in Hong Kong, Taiwan, UK cabinet with loss of easy US trade negotiations, Britbox who have lost their best spiting image puppet.

Regards,

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » November 7th, 2020, 11:02 am

odysseus2000 wrote:I find it fascinating how politicians are able to polarise emotions and especially how investors become focused on personalities rather than business.

One gets very few people or investors who are neutral on Thatcher, Reagan or Trump.

I imagine the big celebrations will be in Beijing, board rooms who want to ship manufacturing to China and big tech who no longer have to worry about potential breakup via anti-trust.

I imagine the biggest worries are in Hong Kong, Taiwan, UK cabinet with loss of easy US trade negotiations, Britbox who have lost their best spiting image puppet.

Regards,

I'm sure Spitting Image will be OK. If they want to go with the idea that Biden is really too old and not up to the job and are really stuck for ideas they could even recycle some of the original Spitting Image ideas : Reagan and the President's brain is missing : or recast the Liberal SDP alliance with Biden in Harris' pocket instead of David Steel in David Owen's pocket.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 7th, 2020, 11:40 am

Ursaminortaur
I'm sure Spitting Image will be OK. If they want to go with the idea that Biden is really too old and not up to the job and are really stuck for ideas they could even recycle some of the original Spitting Image ideas : Reagan and the President's brain is missing : or recast the Liberal SDP alliance with Biden in Harris' pocket instead of David Steel in David Owen's pocket.

Just not sure Biden is polarising enough to be a good replacement for Trump. Spitting image first series ended in 1996 due to falling viewing figures, only restarting in 2020 when polarisation for Trump was intense:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitting_Image

Regards,

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 8th, 2020, 8:00 am

I think that people are right to dismiss the appalling Trump and his antics in the White House but because of that forget his politics which in many ways have been good for business and international politics. He tells it like it is and people do not on the whole like that. Biden looks the calm grandpa but what matters is his politics behind that façade and we might not like that very much. Watch this space.

At his age he will be a one term president at best and I at least know little of his VP.

Dod

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » November 8th, 2020, 8:17 am

For people who value their liberty I believe we are in a very dangerous place right now. There is a US president being ousted on the basis of a rigged election and a lockdown in England based on false statistics, both events pushed by the globalist media and accepted as fact by at least half the population. If these things are not challenged and exposed for the frauds they are then this is the way it will always be. We are sleepwalking into tyranny and at least half the population seem ok with that.

What that means for markets, to return to the question posed, is a big unknown. I would guess a further period of choppiness as the legal challenges to the US election are worked through and the covid lockdowns ebb and flow. Longer term it does not look good for the businesses and sectors that the globalists have decided must not survive and no doubt a continuation of the dominance of the big technology companies which are used to control us.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 8th, 2020, 8:41 am

There is absolutely no evidence yet presented that the elections were 'rigged' and if any irregularities were found it seems very unlikely they have been large enough to alter the outcome.

Trump really has been his own worst enemy, particularly the silly way he behaved in the first debate.

But I think it quite possible he gets back in in 4 years

In the meantime the probability of the GOP controlling the senate, will enable Biden to hold off the Corbyn wing of his party.

On balance probably good for markets

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » November 8th, 2020, 9:23 am

scrumpyjack wrote:There is absolutely no evidence yet presented that the elections were 'rigged'

I expect this to be presented in court rather than to CNN or the BBC.

Anecdotally and circumstantially there is plenty of evidence. If you sat through the night and into the next day watching the coverage of the election closely as I did you couldn't help but notice that something irregular was happening. Trump was leading in most of the outstanding states and then unexpectedly it was announced that counting was being halted until the next day. Then in the dead of the night large blocks of votes were released into the numbers with a disproportinate bias towards Biden, Wisconsin being the one I remember in particular.

Anyhow lets wait and see how it plays out.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 8th, 2020, 9:46 am

Mike88 wrote:

Time for him to grant himself a pardon for all the charges the Democrats have lined up?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 8th, 2020, 11:11 am

scrumpyjack wrote:
Mike88 wrote:

Time for him to grant himself a pardon for all the charges the Democrats have lined up?

As far as I know a US president can issue pardons to anyone he wants, except him or her self.

Nixon was pardoned by Ford, not by himself.

We could see a situation where Trump is taking legal action for what he believes are rigged elections while he is being prosecuted for the things the Democrats believe he has wrongly done.

I doubt the markets will care unless Trump brings in good evidence that folk have conspired against him in large numbers. When all voting had to be done in person it was possible for determined individuals to impersonate perhaps 10 people. With postal voting a small number of people could interfere with the votes cast in a much more significant way that would be impossible with personal votes.

I would not be surprised if Trump's agents are wafting big wodges of cash around anyone they think might have conspired against him hoping to get a witness who will support his case. At the time of Watergate, there were many who dismissed the allegations as ridiculous, but Nixon was brought down.

Regards,

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » November 8th, 2020, 11:26 am

langley59 wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:There is absolutely no evidence yet presented that the elections were 'rigged'

I expect this to be presented in court rather than to CNN or the BBC.

Anecdotally and circumstantially there is plenty of evidence. If you sat through the night and into the next day watching the coverage of the election closely as I did you couldn't help but notice that something irregular was happening. Trump was leading in most of the outstanding states and then unexpectedly it was announced that counting was being halted until the next day. Then in the dead of the night large blocks of votes were released into the numbers with a disproportinate bias towards Biden, Wisconsin being the one I remember in particular.

Anyhow lets wait and see how it plays out.

If you mean the halt in voting in Pennsylvania that was because of a row over how closely Trump's observers could get to counters which he took to court - the minimum distance having been increased because of worries over coronavirus. And the fact that most mail in ballots, which would appear later in the counting process, would support the democrats was very much expected.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » November 8th, 2020, 12:24 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:And the fact that most mail in ballots, which would appear later in the counting process, would support the democrats was very much expected.

...unless that is you happen to be one of the handful of individuals* who've lifted the veil from their eyes and realised that Earth is ruled by a sinister reptilian overlord elite, effectively "farming" humanity and controlling every aspect of our (your!) future to their own nefarious ends. :o :shock: :(

PS pass me another mouse - a white one this time please.

*Luckily for us lizardfolk the enlightened ones remain few in number - although the internet is proving our enemy in this regard - and thankfully most other humans still just mock them for their "ludicrous" views. Long may it continue... ;)

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 8th, 2020, 12:55 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
Mike88 wrote:

As far as I know a US president can issue pardons to anyone he wants, except him or her self.

Nixon was pardoned by Ford, not by himself.

We could see a situation where Trump is taking legal action for what he believes are rigged elections while he is being prosecuted for the things the Democrats believe he has wrongly done.

I doubt the markets will care unless Trump brings in good evidence that folk have conspired against him in large numbers. When all voting had to be done in person it was possible for determined individuals to impersonate perhaps 10 people. With postal voting a small number of people could interfere with the votes cast in a much more significant way that would be impossible with personal votes.

I would not be surprised if Trump's agents are wafting big wodges of cash around anyone they think might have conspired against him hoping to get a witness who will support his case. At the time of Watergate, there were many who dismissed the allegations as ridiculous, but Nixon was brought down.

Regards,

Bloomberg says
"And the president could even look to pardon himself preemptively, blocking a Biden administration from prosecuting him over possible criminal acts, although the legality of that is untested."

so it may be legally possible

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 8th, 2020, 1:34 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
Trump really has been his own worst enemy, particularly the silly way he behaved in the first debate.

It's funny how quickly people get used to such behaviour...

The biggest shock in the coming months is going to be listening to a US President that unites rather than divides -

The Biden rhetoric was actually fairly standard for presidents, who traditionally try to heal the country and bring everyone together in a time of crisis.

But it felt completely radical after four years of Trump.

Biden never mentioned Trump, aside from telling his supporters he knew they weren’t feeling great Saturday night. He never called to lock him up. He didn’t gloat about the size of his win, even though he received more votes than any other presidential candidate in history. Instead, he said he was “humbled by the trust and confidence” voters placed in him and promised to be a president “who seeks not to divide, but to unify.”

He didn’t make fun of anyone, instead saying the nation needed to make the “promise of the country real for everybody — no matter their race, their ethnicity, their faith, their identity, or their disability.”

He didn’t lie. He didn’t encourage conspiracy theories or white supremacists.

He promised to “marshal the forces of science and the forces of hope” to fight the coronavirus, instead of dismissing every piece of scientific advice he’s received.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/joe-biden-speech-normal_n_5fa75323c5b623bfac509654

This man is going to be a massive, much-needed breath of fresh air for the United States of America...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » November 8th, 2020, 1:58 pm

tikunetih wrote:PS pass me another mouse - a white one this time please. Luckily for us lizard folk...

You also watching V (1984) repeats on now on Forces TV? I am. Very entertaining series!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 8th, 2020, 3:38 pm

The question was 'Why are markets up?' I am not sure that a new president elect acting as one would expect anyone in his position to act answers that. As long as old Biden does not get to enact too many of his social(ist) policies the US and the world should be OK.

Dod

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”