Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Brexit: HMRC to take 'sympathetic' customs approach from 1 January

The Big Picture Place
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Brexit: HMRC to take 'sympathetic' customs approach from 1 January

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 2nd, 2020, 1:36 pm

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has told businesses trading across the Irish Sea it will take a "sympathetic" approach to new customs rules in January
Alternatively give HMRC, I'm assuming the VAT Department the additional resources to move forward? I know we have to leave and I accept it's well overdue but this seems to smack a little of leaving the fox to run the henhouse even though we've known for 4 years it was to change.

Anyway I feel a few booze trips coming on :lol:

AiY

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: Brexit: HMRC to take 'sympathetic' customs approach from 1 January

Postby JohnB » December 2nd, 2020, 2:43 pm

Duty free allowances for alcohol rising. 42 litres of beer (and of course I'll be buying Belgian beer duty-paid, not the tinned rubbish that will be available in Duty Free itself)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/duty ... nuary-2021

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2020, 4:02 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has told businesses trading across the Irish Sea it will take a "sympathetic" approach to new customs rules in January
Alternatively give HMRC, I'm assuming the VAT Department the additional resources to move forward? I know we have to leave and I accept it's well overdue but this seems to smack a little of leaving the fox to run the henhouse even though we've known for 4 years it was to change.

AiY

So what happens to the pubs and hospitality industry if they have to pay duty while others bring in lots of duty free booze?

Regards,

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » December 2nd, 2020, 4:05 pm

So "Global Britain welcomes smugglers"? I can see it on the side of a bus.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 2nd, 2020, 4:08 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has told businesses trading across the Irish Sea it will take a "sympathetic" approach to new customs rules in January

AiY

So what happens to the pubs and hospitality industry if they have to pay duty while others bring in lots of duty free booze?

Regards,

I wonder if they will fall prey to some new extremely wealthy tycoons who made a fortune shipping booze to and from NI :roll: . If I recall wasn't that how Richard Branson got started - shipping booze to France and back to make a margin on vat? I know he got into a little hot water in his early days on something like this and I believe his Dad bailed him out?

AiY

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2020, 4:17 pm

I wonder if they will fall prey to some new extremely wealthy tycoons who made a fortune shipping booze to and from NI :roll: . If I recall wasn't that how Richard Branson got started - shipping booze to France and back to make a margin on vat? I know he got into a little hot water in his early days on something like this and I believe his Dad bailed him out?

AiY

Thought it was pre-recored music, but yes.

According to his biography customs just wanted their money back and after he paid them the case was dropped.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”