Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

USA - China

The Big Picture Place
dspp
Lemon Half

USA - China

Postby dspp » March 19th, 2021, 11:44 am

Reuters article summarising a most unusal USA-China meeting
https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN2BA2A7

"What is typically a few minutes of opening remarks in front of journalists for such high-level meetings lasted more than an hour, and the two delegations tussled about when media would be ushered out of the room. Afterwards, the United States accused China of “grandstanding” while Chinese state media blamed U.S. officials for speaking too long and being “inhospitable”. Both sides accused the other of violating diplomatic protocol "

and a full transcript
https://www.state.gov/secretary-antony- ... -yi-at-th/

"Well, it was my bad. When I entered this room, I should have reminded the U.S. side of paying attention to its tone in our respective opening remarks, but I didn’t."

!!

- dspp

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: USA - China

Postby odysseus2000 » March 19th, 2021, 2:03 pm

and shortly after all Tesla cars are banned from Chinese military establishments.

So the world slowly slides in to cold war 3. It would be nice if it never gets hot.

Regards,

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 19th, 2021, 2:08 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:and shortly after all Tesla cars are banned from Chinese military establishments.

So the world slowly slides in to cold war 3. It would be nice if it never gets hot.

Regards,

Indeed. It seems to me this is the Chinese trying to thin-end their wedge to force FSD code & servers to relocate to China, where the goodies can be more easily acquired. Generalised FSD is not just a minor civil matter on highways.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 19th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Snorvey wrote:Taiwan and the South China Sea. That's where it's at.

How far will China get to push it's luck?

A lot further than this I am afraid. Provided they leave KR and JP alone pretty much no-one else in the vicinity can withstand salami slicing. Fancy trading London for Laos to draw a line ?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 19th, 2021, 2:29 pm

I think this is a media slide show for the moment.

China is not yet strong enough to have a good chance of winning a hot war with the US and should they move on Taiwan they would likely face hostiles from many nations.

For the moment China's game seems to be a relentless build of its economic and military capability and making itself indispensable to many US allies while stealing as much tech as it can get and developing its cyber, drone, space capabilities etc.

The usual and least troubling consequence of this is an arms race as we saw in Cold war 1, but there are serious dangers when such views of the world kick-in and both sides get at loggerheads.

Regards,

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 19th, 2021, 2:38 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:

I think this is a media slide show for the moment.

China is not yet strong enough to have a good chance of winning a hot war with the US and should they move on Taiwan they would likely face hostiles from many nations.

For the moment China's game seems to be a relentless build of its economic and military capability and making itself indispensable to many US allies while stealing as much tech as it can get and developing its cyber, drone, space capabilities etc.

The usual and least troubling consequence of this is an arms race as we saw in Cold war 1, but there are serious dangers when such views of the world kick-in and both sides get at loggerheads.

Regards,

I really can't see any other nation going to war with China to stop them taking over Taiwan, an area (I won't say country ATM!) which is generally agreed to be part of 'China'. It is important for the US to get TSMC to move their intellectual property to the US and to have full manufacturing capability in the West. As I understand it ATM the most advanced chips are all made in Taiwan and Intel can't keep up.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 20th, 2021, 6:17 am

dspp wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:and shortly after all Tesla cars are banned from Chinese military establishments.

Regards,

Indeed. It seems to me this is the Chinese trying to thin-end their wedge to force FSD code & servers to relocate to China, where the goodies can be more easily acquired. Generalised FSD is not just a minor civil matter on highways.

Oh please!

China have prevented mobile surveillance units, which continually monitor their surroundings whilst unattended and upload data to and receive OTA updates from, a company resident in a hostile country from being driven on to their military bases.

They haven't even stopped forces personnel from driving them, just from parking them in secure areas.

Meanwhile the US continues to ensure that Chinese goods are excluded from other nation's communication systems, and classes car production as a matter of national security!

The real question is how many people have been removed from the chain of command for failing to address this glaring security hole sooner, and why nobody else has announced a similar policy.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 20th, 2021, 1:05 pm

BobbyD wrote:The real question is how many people have been removed from the chain of command for failing to address this glaring security hole sooner.

and perhaps which concentration camps they have been sent to for being so remiss?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 31st, 2021, 12:37 pm

China PMI expands faster than expected:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/31/china-s ... Pasteboard

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 28th, 2021, 11:53 am

Snorvey wrote:Interesting opinion piece on the likelyhood of a US-China conflict over Taiwan and beyond

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... alia-india

Interestingly, he didn't mention the effectiveness of the US nuclear attack submarine fleet in controlling the SCS or controlling the Straights on Malacca in a wider conflict. I guess there are only so many angles you can cover in a short article.

(article maybe free, but maybe not)

Its an article designed to get more funding out of Washington, so best not to mention existing assets of significant capability and at the same time the author is trying to flog a novel about a US-China conflict.

Rarely does one see such overt selling in an article.

Thanks for sharing!

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » April 28th, 2021, 12:14 pm

Given that the US has already accepted that Taiwan is part of China, it is hard to see any sane US president getting involved militarily on this. Unfortunately US presidents are not always sane! The important thing for the US is not to become totally dependent on TSMC in Taiwan for advanced semiconductor manufacture. They are dangerously close to that.

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”