Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby BobbyD » January 10th, 2020, 11:07 am

Howard wrote:Tesla do have an advantage here, as the Model 3 is the most obvious car to benefit from this legislation. We might expect additional M3 sales of 20,000 or more this year. And this will test the charging infrastructure. I'm still not sure that it will cope with high concentrations of high mileage business users charging in close proximity. Is the Guildford bus situation an indicator of issues to be solved?

Probably a bad example unless all these high mileage business users are going to be meeting up on a deserted business park without an HV supply in the small hours whilst they charge their cars, in which case possibly the less we look in to it the better for all concerned!

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 10th, 2020, 2:41 pm

If this is correct then Tesla are like Carnegie on steroids, more like Rockerfeller who got the railroads to kick back the premium to him they charged competitors, but having your competitor fund your next factory is something amazing:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... baird-says

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 10th, 2020, 2:51 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:If this is correct then Tesla are like Carnegie on steroids, more like Rockerfeller who got the railroads to kick back the premium to him they charged competitors, but having your competitor fund your next factory is something amazing:

Regards,

It's just this:

BobbyD wrote:Not to mention the fact that they sell on their clean air credits, enabling other people to build dirtier cars more cheaply. Now I'm all in favour of a market solution, and adding value to clean emissions as an incentive is right up my street, but if your declared mission is to kill gas guzzlers and replace them with zero emission vehicles your true action is to pile all those credits on to a boat, sail them out in tot he middle of the sea and throw them overboard (burning them would obviously be verbotten).

restated...

Tesla sell clean air to legacy auto so they can pollute more without paying a fine.

I wonder who gets hurt worst if Tesla don't generate enough credits?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 10th, 2020, 3:12 pm

BobbyD
restated...

Tesla sell clean air to legacy auto so they can pollute more without paying a fine.

Yes, but it is the magnitude of the payment that is significant.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 10th, 2020, 4:09 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD
restated...

Yes, but it is the magnitude of the payment that is significant.

Regards,

Again, not new...

Tesla generates significant revenues by selling zero emission vehicle credits in the US. Last year, it earned $103.4m in this way, versus $279.7m the year before. The revenues can fluctuate widely depending on when contracts are executed, the company explained in a regulatory filing in February.

- https://www.ft.com/content/7a3c8d9a-57b ... e89bedc16e

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 10th, 2020, 7:02 pm

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:If this is correct then Tesla are like Carnegie on steroids, more like Rockerfeller who got the railroads to kick back the premium to him they charged competitors, but having your competitor fund your next factory is something amazing:

Regards,

It's just this:

BobbyD wrote:Not to mention the fact that they sell on their clean air credits, enabling other people to build dirtier cars more cheaply. Now I'm all in favour of a market solution, and adding value to clean emissions as an incentive is right up my street, but if your declared mission is to kill gas guzzlers and replace them with zero emission vehicles your true action is to pile all those credits on to a boat, sail them out in tot he middle of the sea and throw them overboard (burning them would obviously be verbotten).

restated...

From what I have read the Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) payment to Tesla to buy out the credits is sufficiently large that FCA are essentially paying for the construction of the Tesla Berlin factory. Imagine that ! So FCA's reluctance to get serious about making cleaner greener cars, and preference for short-term profit-maximisation, is causing them to have to pony up an entire new factory to their new-entrant competitor Tesla. FCA debt increases, Tesla debt decreases.

regards, dspp

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 10th, 2020, 8:31 pm

From what I have read the Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) payment to Tesla to buy out the credits is sufficiently large that FCA are essentially paying for the construction of the Tesla Berlin factory. Imagine that ! So FCA's reluctance to get serious about making cleaner greener cars, and preference for short-term profit-maximisation, is causing them to have to pony up an entire new factory to their new-entrant competitor Tesla. FCA debt increases, Tesla debt decreases.

regards, dspp

This is exactly the sort of thing that Rockerfeller did when he built Standard oil, but in his case the deals were illegal and eventually led to the break-up of Standard Oil.

Any investor in FCA will be fuming at this. It is a payment that should have gone into FCA building their own BEV facility, not building one for a competitor. This is the sort of stupidity that leads to bankruptcy. FCA have had a long time, over a decade, to evaluate BEV and realise they are the future, but they are following the play book of dinosaurs in the age of mammals.

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 11th, 2020, 12:38 am

dspp wrote:A quick clarification for those of you who are non-technical.

The smaller the battery the slower the charging rate. Many of you seem to think the reverse. Yes the small battery may become full faster than a large battery, but it will accept fewer 'miles-worth' of charge from the electrical supply in a given time slot. So if you are popping into Tescos in your 30kWh shopping trolley you might only get (say) 5 miles worth of charge in your 30-minutes visit. If on the other hand you were popping into Tescos in your 100kWh toad-mobile then you might get (say) 10-15 miles worth of charge in the same time.

It is a complicated subject. Just like Ody I used to design battery etc systems professionally so I am perhaps too aware of the many misconceptions that are out there.

Thank you all for your various comments which I will mentally process as I am working on this topic.

regards, dspp

I don't know much about charging batteries, but I read that rapid charging of a Mini from 10%-80% can be done in around 30 minutes, giving 75 miles of range. Of course, if one has parking or garaging at home, 3-4 hours slower charging overnight should replenish the battery unless it has been run down completely.

quoting from https://ev-database.uk/car/1163/Mini-Electric

"Rapid charging is possible through a CCS connection. The maximum rapid charge power is 50 kW. The battery can't be charged continuously at this power. In an average rapid charge session the average charge power will be around 45 kW. This charges the battery from 10% to 80% in around 30 minutes. A rapid charge like this will add about 75 miles of range.

Charging at home: In most cases the maximum charging power will be 7.4 kW, allowing for a charge time of 4 hours 45 minutes and a charge rate of 24 mph."

Would this be optimistic?

regards

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 11th, 2020, 2:53 am

dspp wrote:From what I have read the Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) payment to Tesla to buy out the credits is sufficiently large that FCA are essentially paying for the construction of the Tesla Berlin factory. Imagine that !

This is a 'news' story based on an unconfirmed third party comment about Tesla selling something we knew they sell, for prices we knew they sold them for, under an agreement we knew they had signed created by bundling up 3 years worth of payments and pretending that they are hypothecated...

Frankly I'm shocked if this possibility is news to anybody who has kept half an eye on the area, let alone invested their own money in Tesla.

Essentially South Durham tax payers between 2017 and 2020 may have paid for the F35's for the Queen Elizabeth. Essentially small business owners in Eerie, Indiana may pay for all White House Coffee consumption. Essentially purchasers of the new Porsche Taycan Wooden toy are paying Bobby's VW dividends...

odysseus2000 wrote:Any investor in FCA will be fuming at this. It is a payment that should have gone into FCA building their own BEV facility, not building one for a competitor. This is the sort of stupidity that leads to bankruptcy. FCA have had a long time, over a decade, to evaluate BEV and realise they are the future, but they are following the play book of dinosaurs in the age of mammals.

We'll know the truth if this in 5 or 10 years time, but I do wish you'd make your mind up about whether it is building new factories or failing to build new factories which is going to kill off legacy auto...

odysseus2000 wrote:Legacy car makers are in a very bad position now and have not, save for the Japanese, realised the scale of contraction coming to this industry with corresponding heavy job losses and political and labour troubles.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 11th, 2020, 5:13 am

Interesting that this comment from the same analyst wasn't picked up around here...

“After several years at an outperform rating, which included contentious arguments with (evidently) high-conviction bears, we recommend profit taking,” Kallo wrote in a note to clients, adding that he was “battle-worn” after a tough two years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... amid-surge

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 11th, 2020, 9:14 am

BobbyD wrote:
dspp wrote:From what I have read the Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) payment to Tesla to buy out the credits is sufficiently large that FCA are essentially paying for the construction of the Tesla Berlin factory. Imagine that !

This is a 'news' story based on an unconfirmed third party comment about Tesla selling something we knew they sell, for prices we knew they sold them for, under an agreement we knew they had signed created by bundling up 3 years worth of payments and pretending that they are hypothecated...

Frankly I'm shocked if this possibility is news to anybody who has kept half an eye on the area, let alone invested their own money in Tesla.

It isn't news to me BD, neither the fact nor the approximate quantum. We are unsure about the exact quantum, and of the phasing of the release and so it is easier to just report it the way I did .......

BobbyD wrote:Interesting that this comment from the same analyst wasn't picked up around here...

“After several years at an outperform rating, which included contentious arguments with (evidently) high-conviction bears, we recommend profit taking,” Kallo wrote in a note to clients, adding that he was “battle-worn” after a tough two years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... amid-surge

I had indeed seen that, and many others. That same item came up here as well https://seekingalpha.com/news/3530656-n ... ke-profits .

I can construct fair value for the car business alone from $50 - $500/share. The $500 number assumes perfect execution by Tesla for several years and so is stretching up into nosebleed territory if this was just a standalone business. What is more difficult is assessing what is the central point in the rainbow chart of the probabilistic outcome, and how much extra to add in for the charging network, for autonomy, and for storage, and whether anything should be added in for solar. If I do that I come up with numbers that are anywhere from $300 to $1500. Add in wild cards such as any relationship with SpaceX-Starlink if one wishes to make the valuation debate more difficult. Plus I am having a real issue with modelling Tesla growth rates as there are some paths that have an accelerating growth rate, which makes my modelling go 'eek'.

My hand hovered over the sell button for the last week as I expect prices to fall back in the next few months thereby allowing a rebuy opportunity. However after assessing the amount I have in compared with my overall portfolio, and the many upside value factors I decided to hold in my portfolio. However there are three other portfolios I manage which have different risk appetites where I am trying to position for small purchases at any lower prices that may come in the next few moths on a pullback. If such a pullback doesn't happen then never mind. So I fully appreciate Kallo's point-of-view as I have been holding over the same period, I just happen not to reach precisely the same conclusion, but one very close to it as I too have a balanced "not sell yet in one portfolio" and "not buy yet in three others", leading to no movement in any.

As relevant in all this is trying to figure out when, and at what trigger, I would choose to sell my long term RDSB holding that is overweight. That is the flipside of the same analysis. That is why I am trying to build sectoral 20-30 year S-curves. It also is important in my day job trying for to understand global electricity network build rates. And it is very clear that many people in the strategic thinking community are now doing the same analysis for real. Which in turn means one has to not only do the dry adoption analysis, but also the more emotional future market pricing of sentiment type analysis that Ody seems to be better at than me.

Good luck all.

regards, dspp

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 11th, 2020, 9:54 am

Howard
I don't know much about charging batteries, but I read that rapid charging of a Mini from 10%-80% can be done in around 30 minutes, giving 75 miles of range. Of course, if one has parking or garaging at home, 3-4 hours slower charging overnight should replenish the battery unless it has been run down completely.

A lot of what you see in the media is often referred to as marketing masturbation, usually in more basic anglo saxon, by engineers.

If you want to have some understanding of BEV then you need to know a little about Dr. Goodenoughs invention.

A lithium ion battery typical range is 3 volts to 4.2 volts. Charge above 4.2 volts, or let it discharge below 3 volts and it can be damaged. A fully charged battery will slowly lose its voltage as its discharged, so often calculations are done at a mid point of 3.7 volts.

Each cell has a capacity, which for the best is currently around 3 amps available for 1 hour.

Power is measured as current x voltage, so the watts available of 3.7x3 = 11.1 Watts.

To get 1 kilowatt you need 1000/11.1 = 90 batteries.

To get higher voltages you connect cells in series, + to -, one above the other and so for 50 volts you would need 50/3.7 = 13.5 = 14 as one can’t have part cells.

To get more current you connect in parallel, + to +, - to -

That is the basics of batteries, now to some more practical points.

Storage of batteries at 4.2 volts tends to lead to shorter life, so manufacturers restrict the charging voltage to less, say 4 volts. If, as in the case of a hurricane when folk need to leg it, Tesla allow, via over the air software download, batteries to charge to 4.2 volts to give extra range.

Now to charging speeds.

To charge a 4.2 volt battery, the charger looks at the battery and provides a large charge current when the battery is near 3 volts. e.g. on my MacBook the charge current when it is nearly discharged is 3 amps. As it get towards fully charged, the current falls off rapidly, down to say 0.6 amps, then down to 0.030 amps when fully charged. The charging is always faster when the battery is low, and always slower when the battery has more charge. The practical consequence of this is that BEV car makers always tell you the charge rate in the fast part of the cycle. If you have a small battery then, as dspp noted, the charge rate is often low as the battery is soon charged and you can’t add much range. If you have a bigger battery then there is often more space and you can add more range.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 11th, 2020, 10:08 am

Yesterday I was talking with the owner of a new Toyota hybrid who lives in London.

This is an electric/battery car but it can not be charged from the mains.

It is currently considered very low emissions by the London authorities and allows the owner to drive it where ever wanted in London which was a important buying point. However, the owner didn’t bother with it much in London as it is easier and more convenient to use public transport

On a long run to the south coast the owner was very pleased with the mpg at over 80, but when started in the morning and used for small journeys the mpg is only 32 and the engine was described as running like it was on full choke.

The owner liked the warranty which was 15 years for the batteries and I think 7-10 years for the engine/body work etc.

The car suited in all respects and was liked.

Readers can draw their own conclusions as to whether this tech is good for the environment. imho a full BEV would be much better for the environment.

Regards,

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 11th, 2020, 10:25 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Yesterday I was talking with the owner of a new Toyota hybrid who lives in London.

This is an electric/battery car but it can not be charged from the mains.

It is currently considered very low emissions by the London authorities and allows the owner to drive it where ever wanted in London which was a important buying point. However, the owner didn’t bother with it much in London as it is easier and more convenient to use public transport

On a long run to the south coast the owner was very pleased with the mpg at over 80, but when started in the morning and used for small journeys the mpg is only 32 and the engine was described as running like it was on full choke.

The owner liked the warranty which was 15 years for the batteries and I think 7-10 years for the engine/body work etc.

The car suited in all respects and was liked.

Readers can draw their own conclusions as to whether this tech is good for the environment. imho a full BEV would be much better for the environment.

Regards,

I have to agree with you on this. We had a Lexus Hybrid which ran on the same system, it would do about 2 miles on pure electric if forced but otherwise it was essentially a petrol motor with electrical assistance. In all other respects it was a brilliant car and never missed a beat in 80,000 miles I would have a Lexus again if they produced a BEV or maybe a PHEV.

I guess one needs to look at the official emissions rating to judge how good or bad they are for the environment and a Prius is now actually rated at 78g/km and as such is no longer exempt from congestion charges in London. For comparison my BMW PHEV is rated at 42g/kg.

John

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » January 11th, 2020, 10:30 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
Howard

A lot of what you see in the media is often referred to as marketing masturbation, usually in more basic anglo saxon, by engineers.

If you want to have some understanding of BEV then you need to know a little about Dr. Goodenoughs invention.

A lithium ion battery typical range is 3 volts to 4.2 volts. Charge above 4.2 volts, or let it discharge below 3 volts and it can be damaged. A fully charged battery will slowly lose its voltage as its discharged, so often calculations are done at a mid point of 3.7 volts.

Each cell has a capacity, which for the best is currently around 3 amps available for 1 hour.

Power is measured as current x voltage, so the watts available of 3.7x3 = 11.1 Watts.

To get 1 kilowatt you need 1000/11.1 = 90 batteries.

To get higher voltages you connect cells in series, + to -, one above the other and so for 50 volts you would need 50/3.7 = 13.5 = 14 as one can’t have part cells.

To get more current you connect in parallel, + to +, - to -

That is the basics of batteries, now to some more practical points.

Storage of batteries at 4.2 volts tends to lead to shorter life, so manufacturers restrict the charging voltage to less, say 4 volts. If, as in the case of a hurricane when folk need to leg it, Tesla allow, via over the air software download, batteries to charge to 4.2 volts to give extra range.

Now to charging speeds.

To charge a 4.2 volt battery, the charger looks at the battery and provides a large charge current when the battery is near 3 volts. e.g. on my MacBook the charge current when it is nearly discharged is 3 amps. As it get towards fully charged, the current falls off rapidly, down to say 0.6 amps, then down to 0.030 amps when fully charged. The charging is always faster when the battery is low, and always slower when the battery has more charge. The practical consequence of this is that BEV car makers always tell you the charge rate in the fast part of the cycle. If you have a small battery then, as dspp noted, the charge rate is often low as the battery is soon charged and you can’t add much range. If you have a bigger battery then there is often more space and you can add more range.

Regards,

Yes, I did some Physics at University too. But rather than all this stuff, why not just agree that the Mini can be charged safely to 80% fairly quickly if necessary. The art of marketing is to understand consumers' needs and meet them profitably.

The average person buying a second car isn't bothered by theories. If they are offered a Skoda, VW or Mini with a battery guarantee for eight years for around 20k they may well be convinced.

You have railed against legacy manufacturers for over 10 years now but have not explained why they, generally have continued to make significant profits meeting consumer needs completely negating your forecasts. Your support for one BEV manufacturer may blind you to the realities of the marketplace.

Most of us want BEVs to succeed. But we face reality. I've driven a PHEV with a small battery and it charged in my garage from a 13 amp plug going from an electric only range of 3 miles to 18 miles in around 4 hours. And I've driven two BEVs with smaller batteries, a Nissan Leaf and BMW i3. Have you ever driven a BEV or charged one?

A lot of waffle is talked about battery supremacy. Most consumers aren't bothered. They decide whether or not they will trust a brand from its reputation.

The main factor which will assist BEVs gain market share is the increase in government incentives. Support for overweight cars with ridiculous acceleration may not be helpful. In the end it may be desirable to have a mix of smaller and larger BEVs with batteries that are appropriate for their uses.

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 11th, 2020, 11:54 am

Yes, I did some Physics at University too. But rather than all this stuff, why not just agree that the Mini can be charged safely to 80% fairly quickly if necessary. The art of marketing is to understand consumers' needs and meet them profitably.

The average person buying a second car isn't bothered by theories. If they are offered a Skoda, VW or Mini with a battery guarantee for eight years for around 20k they may well be convinced.

You have railed against legacy manufacturers for over 10 years now but have not explained why they, generally have continued to make significant profits meeting consumer needs completely negating your forecasts. Your support for one BEV manufacturer may blind you to the realities of the marketplace.

Most of us want BEVs to succeed. But we face reality. I've driven a PHEV with a small battery and it charged in my garage from a 13 amp plug going from an electric only range of 3 miles to 18 miles in around 4 hours. And I've driven two BEVs with smaller batteries, a Nissan Leaf and BMW i3. Have you ever driven a BEV or charged one?

A lot of waffle is talked about battery supremacy. Most consumers aren't bothered. They decide whether or not they will trust a brand from its reputation.

The main factor which will assist BEVs gain market share is the increase in government incentives. Support for overweight cars with ridiculous acceleration may not be helpful. In the end it may be desirable to have a mix of smaller and larger BEVs with batteries that are appropriate for their uses.

regards

Howard

All I am doing is putting some of the realities behind the hype.

Sure most punters haven't a clue about the tech, they will buy on reputation and guarantee, but no matter how good the reputation or the guarantee punters don't like buying things that are second rate and which are yesterdays technology.

As things now are the offerings from legacy are mostly attempts to keep ICE as the major part of the car with all the associated costs and declining relevance.

As just pointed out a Prius is no longer clean enough for London, how long before a non-plug in hybrid also falls foul of new emission standards?

Anyone leasing a car doesn't care, only the leasing companies worry about the depreciation but say someone moving into retirement hoping to have a car for a decade or more likely does worry about whether it will become uneconomic as is the Prius, not because the guarantee has failed but because the law regarding emissions has tightened.

The best cars currently available to be future proof against new emission laws are BEV and the marketing spin of legacy that you only need a BEV with a small battery is all about legacy not having enough batteries. As noted a small battery has disadvantages and when its a small battery with an ICE its an evolutionary dead end. Will punters buy such dead ends. Yes, for a little while but word will get round and sales of these cars will decline.

Additionally anyone buying the weaker legacy such as BMW has the fear that the business could fail as cleaner BEV become more common.

It takes a while to get different mind sets in folk but in the by and by the the reality of the tech sinks in.

Of course if you believe I am wrong you can go long BMW, Ford, GM, VW... The appetite for investors to buy and hold these kinds of legacy autos will tell you long before the reality of sales declines hits what folk think about legacy.

By contrast the recent strength of the Tesla share price tells you what investors are prepared to pay for growth.

Regards,

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 12th, 2020, 10:49 am

Howard wrote:dspp

In your haste to decry all legacy car manufacturers :) you have neglected to answer my question about the 9 Guildford buses overloading the local grid. You may not know much about marketing cars ;) but, having read your posts on other threads, I do respect your views as an expert on power distribution. Is this indicative of a problem in supplying a concentration of BEVs? Or is it just a one-off issue affecting the local situation in Guildford.

regards

Howard

I've done some sums to understand generic bus fleets. I won't bore you with all the URL references. Your Guildford video https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business- ... o-electric .

I've used a typical Volvo B7 such as the Volvo B7RLE and the 7 is because these use 7-litre diesel engines. These are very typical of the single decker city buses you see around the world.

41 litre per 100 km is the average fuel consumption in city traffic (33% idle and average speed of 19 km/h) of all Volvo B7R and Volvo B7RLE chassis delivered since the introduction of Euro IV in 2006.

Using TfL data a typical bus does 97 miles per day, or 156 km/d. That fits well with the ranges stated in the video.

So a typical bus uses 64 litres of diesel per day.

If this was being burnt in a diesel engine that would mean that you have to insert 10kWh of chemical energy in, to get 3.3kWh of kinetic energy out, with the rest being wasted as exhaust heat & acoustics.

For approximating purposes lets use 90% conversion efficiency for a BEV. For the time being I will ignore charging efficiency as I think there is another factor that is more important.

That means that a typical bus will consume (i.e. discharge from its battery) 234kWh of electrical energy each day in doing 97 miles of work. That energy needs recharging overnight.

There were 9 buses in the Guildford fleet per your post.

So 9 x 234 = 2106 kWh to be recharged overnight. Let's assume 10pm until 6am for recharging, so an 8hr recharge period. The 10pm start is usefully well into the low load period, and the 6am is before it starts rising, so this is the lowest point in the typical UK load cycle.

2106/8 = 263 kWh/h will be the AVERAGE recharge rate, and I'll return to the average bit in a moment.

Recall that a typical house single phase 100A supply of 240V can supply 100 x 240 / 1000 = 24 kW maximum continuous

So a 415V three phase supply of 400A will give a max of 415 x 400 x rt3 (1.732) / 1000 = 287 kW maximum continuous (this is about the equivalent of 10 house supplies, but no diversity factor)

So if the bus depot had a dedicated 400A three phase supply of 415V then it could deliver 287 kW continuous, i.e. 287 kWh every hour, or 287 kWh/h. Compare that with the 263 kWh/h required on AVERAGE and you would think that would be OK. In fact there is probably just about enough spare capacity to cope for 10% of charging efficiency losses, but probably not for other losses in the system, but I don't think losses are the real issue here.

But that ignores the tapered charging issues. If you look at a battery charge curve the starting charge rate is typically twice the average, so one would really need an 800A supply if one were to plug in all the buses simultaneously at 10pm. It is a fairly typical 'stupid' use case to assume a small fleet would start charging essentially simultaneously. Even a little bit of staggering would help greatly.

Frankly providing a 800-1000 A additional supply to a local bus depot is doable, but a little forethought would suggest putting in a new 11kV supply to this area, as the depot will not be the only bit of this area of Guildford that is running hot. You need to recall that most of these areas of England had their electrical system origins back in the days of DC cabling, and are horrendous antiques that are well overdue replacement - just like most of the UK's electrical infrastructure. My guess is that this set of buses would have pushed them over the edge and precipitated a need to reinforce the local area. By way of comparison my little factory has about 600A of 415V 3ph as its supply, and we don't have an 11kV dedicated feed.

That is why in this instance there is a Tesla storage solution going in to avoid the local upgrade - one sees the same thing going on in inner city USA where they are putting in storage rather than building/renewing their inner city power stations. [edit:] As a fagpacket approximation the Tesla storage will reduce the approx 800A peak additional 10pm load to a 131A average additional daytime load. Add in a bit of dual-supply into the overnight charge (i.e. from both the storage battery and the regular supply) and that could easily bring the avge daytime increase below 100A. Start to do these numbers and you can see how a little bit of localised storage can avoid the need for expensive grid cabling upgrades etc.

Of course the fact that the UK's electrical infrastructure is 50-years old on average and so needs replacement in any case (in fact it is long overdue) will not be a reason for the anti-BEV luddites to desist. Instead they will wail & moan & gnash their teeth and (probably) insist that it is all the nasty EU's fault.

Meanwhile my customers around the world are getting on with it at a goodly pace.

By the way the more global data that I am playing with suggests that on average about a 1.5x increase in the electrical network is required. In some hotspots (such as this Guildford bus depot) that will be more like 2x, but in very large sections it is 1x (i.e. no upgrade required). That 1x includes a lot of UK housing. Whether it is cheaper to put in localised storage in the 2x areas to avoid the need to do grid reinforcement is a localised cost-benefit-analysis. My guess is that this was as much a technology demonstrator project in this particular instance, though there may also be technical issues associated with the legacy cabling as in so much of the UK.

There is a lot of value in the Tesla storage play.

regards, dspp

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » January 12th, 2020, 11:55 am

China not cutting ev subsidies in July:

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/11/mo ... s-in-july/

Regards,

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 12th, 2020, 3:22 pm

@dspp

I understand that very few, if any, of the Battery electric buses currently operating in the UK are able to complete a full day's work on a single charge. I've been on a London single deck electric which had a planned change onto another vehicle, in order that the original bus could go back to base for recharging.

Back in the 1950s the Dennis Lancet III buses on which I worked could be refuelled every other day, having a 40 gallon tank (I think). They would do at the most 8 round trips from Rye to Hastings, approximately 30 miles each time, or 240 miles in a day. I think that they did between 12 to 15 mpg.

London's daily mileage figures look low to me, bearing in mind that many routes are now 24 hour operation. I would be very surprised if Guildford's P&R buses can do a full day without being recharged. I suspect that the requirement is for a number of buses in service while some are being recharged, Allowance has to be made for maintenance time as well, although this would usually be done overnight or at weekends.

TJH

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 12th, 2020, 3:28 pm

tjh290633 wrote:@dspp

I understand that very few, if any, of the Battery electric buses currently operating in the UK are able to complete a full day's work on a single charge. I've been on a London single deck electric which had a planned change onto another vehicle, in order that the original bus could go back to base for recharging.

Back in the 1950s the Dennis Lancet III buses on which I worked could be refuelled every other day, having a 40 gallon tank (I think). They would do at the most 8 round trips from Rye to Hastings, approximately 30 miles each time, or 240 miles in a day. I think that they did between 12 to 15 mpg.

London's daily mileage figures look low to me, bearing in mind that many routes are now 24 hour operation. I would be very surprised if Guildford's P&R buses can do a full day without being recharged. I suspect that the requirement is for a number of buses in service while some are being recharged, Allowance has to be made for maintenance time as well, although this would usually be done overnight or at weekends.

TJH

Do you have any recent hard data ?

regards, dspp

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”