Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Leaving UK to avoid a Corbyn government!?

Financial discussion for any financial queries for Expats
TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Re: Leaving UK to avoid a Corbyn government!?

Postby TahiPanasDua » December 30th, 2019, 8:55 am

Dod101 wrote:
TahiPanasDua wrote:I've finally gone and done it. I just sold the remaining utilities less my 2 dogs SSE and CNA which are no longer worth the effort.

I sold half my utes a year ago to help with buying a new house.

On past performance, I won't regret it if Corby fails to get elected or fails to nationalise anything. The cash will go towards MYI or similar as I will eventually convert all shares to ITs and ETFs for my wife's sake. I am in the process of opening an account with OCBC in Singapore.

At 74, I am now unlikely to bolt back to Hong Kong, where I have permanent residence, or Malaysia which I love. Any Corby taxes avoided in Hong Kong would be more than swallowed by the massive cost of living.

Unless, of course, we take a course turn for Hades in a Handcart, unlikely as that now seems.

As you will know it is not the cost of living in HK, but the cost quite specifically of housing. As far as I know HK now withdraws the right to land or whatever they now call it after five years absence. I still have my old ID card going back many years. I would not mind living in Penang though.

Dod

Hi Dod,

how's this for a LMF record late response?

I just recently remembered the expatistan.com website which compares the cost of living of a big selection of home and overseas locations based on "all" costs. It pretty much corroborates my earlier stated calculation that where I live now in the Scottish boondocks is about 40% cheaper than Hong Kong.

The site confirms that London and Hong Kong costs are "about the same" whereas , for example, the following are cheaper by: Reading 29%, Manchester 30%, Perth (!) 32%, Edinburgh 29%, Dundee 40%, Lisbon 47% and Madrid 41%.

TP2.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 30th, 2019, 9:15 am

That's very interesting I must say. Of course if you are going to try to live as in the UK buying European imported food and so on, I can well believe the numbers, but I have a couple of European friends who have retired in HK. One with money coming out his ears, lives in a serviced apartment in Central. I think we can discount him.

The other couple bought in Discovery Bay when they were new flats and have lived there ever since. They reckon that living largely on locally produced food and taking public transport (and no car because it is more trouble and expense than it is worth) their cost of living is about the same as it would be in the UK, and they return to the UK at least twice a year to see family and so on. Their BA fares, they equate to the taxes they are not paying in HK. These surveys, whilst no doubt have some truth to them, are subject to so many ifs and buts that they need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Next month, I am going to WA (glad it is not the east coast) and to Penang again.

Dod

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » December 30th, 2019, 11:09 am

Dod101 wrote:That's very interesting I must say. Of course if you are going to try to live as in the UK buying European imported food and so on, I can well believe the numbers, but I have a couple of European friends who have retired in HK. One with money coming out his ears, lives in a serviced apartment in Central. I think we can discount him.

The other couple bought in Discovery Bay when they were new flats and have lived there ever since. They reckon that living largely on locally produced food and taking public transport (and no car because it is more trouble and expense than it is worth) their cost of living is about the same as it would be in the UK, and they return to the UK at least twice a year to see family and so on. Their BA fares, they equate to the taxes they are not paying in HK. These surveys, whilst no doubt have some truth to them, are subject to so many ifs and buts that they need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Next month, I am going to WA (glad it is not the east coast) and to Penang again.

Dod

Yes, I think you are right. You should only take these figures as ballpark approximations.

And just for interest's sake, Penang is a massive 64% cheaper and Perth WA 31%. I'll now never do it but you can see why so many UK expats choose Penang.

By the way, a friend, retired in Penang, says UK expats there are mostly a different type from the usual itinerant professional types you and I may have been be used to in the past. (maybe they are normal folk for heaven's sake!) .

Return to “International & Expat Investors”