Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

A reliable source for market commentary

Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending
elephanthunt11
Lemon Pip

A reliable source for market commentary

Postby elephanthunt11 » February 21st, 2024, 3:59 am

Hi all,

I recently signed up to receive the daily ‘download’ on markets from Louis Navellier after I saw him recommended in an old citywire post.

I have enjoyed his 5-8 minute daily voice notes and found them informative but as a Brit I would a) prefer to have someone that provides global market commentary from a British perspective and b) after looking into his professional history he has had some questionable dealings with the law. While this doesn’t preclude him from giving sound financial commentary, it does raise a credibility question.

I’m less concerned about the latter point but can anyone recommend an alternative?

digitaria
Lemon Pip

Re: A reliable source for market commentary

Postby digitaria » February 21st, 2024, 11:05 am

Possibly not what you're looking for, but I like Bloomberg Radio, which provides around the clock market commentary. Available on DAB or streamed online. The content and the presenters change according to which markets are open. There is also a range of podcasts.

clissold345
2 Lemon pips

Postby clissold345 » February 21st, 2024, 1:02 pm

Paul Scott does a weekly UK small-caps podcast. He mainly goes through UK small-cap results for that week but he does give some macro data and news. He's colourful and honest and inconsistent. Some of his ideas are certainly worth further research.

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » March 8th, 2024, 12:25 am

'We analyze the advice contained in a sample of 237 investment newsletter strategies over 1980-1992. '
'Our analysis of individual newsletter performance does not reveal any systematic evidence that their long-term returns exceed those of a passive benchmark.'
https://people.duke.edu/~charvey/Resear ... bility.pdf
Not to say such newsletters lack adult entertainment value (no child would be remotely interested) but if these results are generalisable in time and place then their investing value is doubtful.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 14th, 2024, 9:09 am

clissold345 wrote:Paul Scott does a weekly UK small-caps podcast. He mainly goes through UK small-cap results for that week but he does give some macro data and news. He's colourful and honest and inconsistent. Some of his ideas are certainly worth further research.

Those of us who were actve on the Motley Fool remember him as Paulypilot. Always insightful, sometimes combative. If I ever got a rec from Paulypilot (and it happened now and then 8-) ), it felt like a badge of pride!

BJ

Return to “Other Investing”