Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

The Value of Forecasts

Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

The Value of Forecasts

Postby bruncher » December 21st, 2023, 7:50 pm

Does anyone trust forecasts regarding the value of share prices? I must admit I do look at the forecasts provided in the FT, perhaps at their most useful and credible when there are several analysts so one can see an average expectation.

The most optimistic forecast I've seen recently is for Molecular Energies (MEN):
The one analyst offering a 12 month price target expects Molecular Energies PLC share price to rise to 820.47 in the next year from the last price of 77.50.

https://markets.ft.com/data/equities/te ... ?s=MEN:LSE

This would be a rise of 958.7% !

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: The Value of Forecasts

Postby monabri » December 21st, 2023, 7:55 pm

No...because (1) they'd be commenting from some sunny clime or their own island and (2) why would they tell you what is going to be a good punt?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 21st, 2023, 8:08 pm

Cheaper by the dozen!

Well that was a statement by an economist about children!

However he did also say that the purpose of economic forecasting was to make astrologers look good!

John Kenneth Galbraith said, "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable."

Ps, he did have a dozen children. There was a book and a film about the family.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 21st, 2023, 9:00 pm

bruncher wrote:Does anyone trust forecasts regarding the value of share prices? I must admit I do look at the forecasts provided in the FT, perhaps at their most useful and credible when there are several analysts so one can see an average expectation.

The most optimistic forecast I've seen recently is for Molecular Energies (MEN):
The one analyst offering a 12 month price target expects Molecular Energies PLC share price to rise to 820.47 in the next year from the last price of 77.50.

https://markets.ft.com/data/equities/te ... ?s=MEN:LSE

This would be a rise of 958.7% !

Forecasts are a trailing indicator. If you treat them that way you will not go far wrong.

GS

Return to “Other Investing”