Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Gold half and full sovereigns - sell?

Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Gold half and full sovereigns - sell?

Postby Clariman » October 8th, 2020, 3:40 pm

I have a gold half sovereign from 1899 which I inherited, which has been in an envelope in a cardboard box for over 20 years. It has no special significance to me so I am considering selling because it is in danger of getting lost one day.

It appears that it would be worth about £170 as gold. Is there any value in its age and form, as opposed to just its weight in gold? Would now be a half decent time to sell? Where are the best places to sell? I think Mrs C may have also recently inherited some full or half sovereigns too.

C

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Gold half and full sovereigns - sell?

Postby swill453 » October 8th, 2020, 3:47 pm

This place seems to sell them at a bit of a premium (£252) but I guess you'd be lucky to get half of the difference between that and the basic price: https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/half-so ... sovereign/

I sold gold through Hatton Garden Metals before and they gave a better price than anyone else I could find at the time, might be worth asking for a quote: https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/

Scott.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » October 8th, 2020, 4:32 pm

I'd second Hatton Garden Metals, having used them. However the sovereigns I bought and sold were not collectors items, and if yours is in very good condition it might be worth more than the basic "sovereign as a convenient way of buying and selling gold without tax" value.

And whilst I've not checked for a few weeks, last time I looked, the gold price was higher than it's been for a long time. No guarantee it won't go higher, but if I still had some I'd be tempted to sell.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 8th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Do you have a favourite grandchild, niece, nephew etc? I always think that gold coins should be passed down and kept for the future. Combined with a few silver coins, it would make an amazing special present for someone.

Steve

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » October 8th, 2020, 5:57 pm

Local jeweller might give you more than just the bullion price for vintage coins. Worth an ask.

Gryff

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » October 11th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Clariman wrote:I have a gold half sovereign from 1899 which I inherited, which has been in an envelope in a cardboard box for over 20 years. It has no special significance to me so I am considering selling because it is in danger of getting lost one day.

It appears that it would be worth about £170 as gold. Is there any value in its age and form, as opposed to just its weight in gold? Would now be a half decent time to sell? Where are the best places to sell? I think Mrs C may have also recently inherited some full or half sovereigns too.

C

The only place you are likely to get more than bullion value is eBay. Full and half sovereigns tend to go for a reasonable premium. However you will need a decent sellers record to get this and you also need to be aware of fees. I think there are days when these are lower but still significant. You'd need to check their website for details of their charges. Remember Paypal charge as well.

Sorry but there's nothing special about an 1899 half sovereign from a numismatic pov. If it's in uncirculated, or close to uncirculated, condition it could fetch a bit more.

Check eBay half sovereign sales to get a feel for the price you would likely get.

BoE

Return to “Other Investing”