Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

DIY Onshore Investment Bond

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Shaker

DIY Onshore Investment Bond

Postby Shaker » July 5th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Looking to set up an onshore investment bond but not through an adviser. Does anybody have an idea who could do this as D2C? Prudential? Aviva?

telemark15

Re: DIY Onshore Investment Bond

Postby telemark15 » July 6th, 2020, 8:57 am

Just wondering what is the reason for choosing an onshore investment bond compared to other investment products?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 6th, 2020, 11:55 am

I too wonder why, as investment bonds tend to be expensive (charges wise), although I appreciate that the tax situation may be beneficial for some.

But to (non-)answer your question ... it's been quite some yonks (over a decade) since I last looked into these but when I did I didn't find any that didn't require going through an IFA, although I guess that may have changed since.

However, if you can't find any that do let you go direct, there are execution-only IFAs that will rubber stamp and pass on your application for a relatively small fee. One I'm aware of (but have never used myself) is https://www.moneyworld.com/investment-bonds/ which charges a one-off 0.5%.

You might also contact https://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/ which I have used for structured products and I know used to also do investment bonds for a flat £35 (and with all commission reinvested), although I don't see them on their website now, but I would recommend contacting them and asking.

I expect searching around will find some others.

Mememe

Postby Mememe » July 7th, 2020, 8:57 am

They are still used occasionally for care home fees and for trusts they definitely make sense. Although most go down the offshore route these days

Can’t answer the question on D2C. Utmost, Canada life, old mtutual and standard life are probably the main ones. I would just give them a call and ask the question.

thedukewood

Postby thedukewood » November 7th, 2020, 9:54 am

I am also start to look at this as part of planning options so will check back here to see what OP has found and post anything I find out back here is due course.

Thanks all

Shaker

Postby Shaker » November 7th, 2020, 11:13 am

thedukewood wrote:I am also start to look at this as part of planning options so will check back here to see what OP has found and post anything I find out back here is due course.

Thanks all

I found no DIY options unfortunately. Please let me know if you find a provider who allows this.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 7th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Shaker wrote:
thedukewood wrote:I am also start to look at this as part of planning options so will check back here to see what OP has found and post anything I find out back here is due course.

Thanks all

I found no DIY options unfortunately. Please let me know if you find a provider who allows this.

But did you check out execution-only IFAs, as per my post above (2nd reply to the thread)? Via one of those it is in effect DIY and you just pay them to rubber stamp it (and hence get it through the providers' must-come-via-an-IFA requirements).

Obviously you're going to have to shop around for the ones that offer the best deal for your circumstances (%age vs flat fee, etc), but it does look like in the end you'll have the choice of paying an IFA something or not having an investment bond at all....

Return to “Investment Strategies”