Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

What's in your portfolio and why?

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Re: What's in your portfolio and why?

Postby YeeWo » October 22nd, 2021, 8:17 pm

vagrantbrain wrote:No individual shareholdings for me after a few years realising i'm not Peter Lynch........Cheap global trackers make up about 60% and rising which i'm intending to hold for the long term........NASDAQ tracker (EQQQ), 1.3% - Recent purchase - cheaper and less volatile then ATT
My investing journey has gone the other way. I started buying Unit Trusts from Virgin Direct in the 90s, realised HSBC AM could offer the same thing at less cost and moved my monthly DD to HSBC. Then in 2011 I started to notice a flurry of listings in London of seriously dodgy mining companies etc and decided I didn't want exposure to this stuff so went to individual shares. I'm not Peter Lynch either! Is there any point in holding anything at a level of 1.3% of your portfolio : NASDAQ tracker? It ain't gonna make a meaningful difference even if it doubles!!?

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » October 22nd, 2021, 8:43 pm

Stock           | % Portfolio | XIRR   | Held Since | Prime Reason    | Comment                                           
AstraZeneca | 3.70% | 21.82% | 31-Jul-17 | Covid | Too small % of portfolio will have to add or sell.
Aviva | 24.22% | 4.5% | 16-Apr-20 | Recovery | Will trim Aviva back when the investment matures.
Coca Cola HBC | 5.07% | 6.0% | 09-Jun-17 | ROCE | EM Exposure. Coke is great brand globally.
Diageo | 3.74% | 11.5% | 12-Jan-11 | Brands, ROCE | Will top this up substantially if SP falls back.
Inchcape | 3.32% | 12.5% | 24-Feb-09 | ROCE, Buybacks | Becoming a subscale holding, lacks growth.
Int. Hotels | 4.81% | 6.7% | 09-Jun-17 | ROCE, Brands | A brilliant asset lite business model.
RELX | 9.23% | 19.1% | 01-Aug-10 | Moat, ROCE | A unique data business impossible to replicate.
Rio Tinto | 3.84% | 24.1% | 03-Oct-18 | Yield, Moat | The best of the mining companies.
Rothschild IT | 7.10% | 10.2% | 17-Mar-21 | Diversification | Will continue to add over time.
Rolls Royce | 5.55% | 6.4% | 22-Oct-14 | Recovery | Top of my list for disposal when SP recovers.
SFOR Capital | 5.07% | 27.1% | 14-Jun-21 | Speculation | Sir Martin Sorrell is worth a bet.
Smith & Nephew | 3.72% | 3.0% | 06-Oct-16 | Takeover target | Becoming a subscale holding.
Unilever | 9.98% | 10.1% | 12-Jan-11 | Brands, ROCE | Topped up recently, is far too cheap.
JD Weatherspoon | 10.64% | -3.1% | 16-Apr-20 | Recovery | Property assets not valued since 99, too cheap.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 22nd, 2021, 8:59 pm

YeeWo wrote:
vagrantbrain wrote:No individual shareholdings for me after a few years realising i'm not Peter Lynch........Cheap global trackers make up about 60% and rising which i'm intending to hold for the long term........NASDAQ tracker (EQQQ), 1.3% - Recent purchase - cheaper and less volatile then ATT
My investing journey has gone the other way. I started buying Unit Trusts from Virgin Direct in the 90s, realised HSBC AM could offer the same thing at less cost and moved my monthly DD to HSBC. Then in 2011 I started to notice a flurry of listings in London of seriously dodgy mining companies etc and decided I didn't want exposure to this stuff so went to individual shares. I'm not Peter Lynch either! Is there any point in holding anything at a level of 1.3% of your portfolio : NASDAQ tracker? It ain't gonna make a meaningful difference even if it doubles!!?

I started with unit trusts in 1958. Inherited a few shares in 1970. Started adding shares of interest in the 1970s and later privatisation issues. PEPS stimulated a deeper interest in individual equities. I still have 3 OEICs and MrsTJH has 4 in an ISA. Also have Trust accounts for grandchildren in individual ITs.

In my now ISA I have 36 holdings, with a median weight of 2.8%. The heaviest is 3.8% at 33% above median. The lightest is 1.8% at 62% of median value. I set an upper limit of 1.5 times median value and trim any holding which exceeds that limit by 25%. I have a topping up method embodied in the HYPTUSS available elsewhere on this site. This tends to keep the portfolio nominally equal-weighted.

If I were concentrating on OEICs or ITs my inclination would be to limit them to no more than 10 holdings. I don't like ETFs for various reasons, but again would limit the number held.

Charges do matter, of course, but if a security with higher charges outperforms it's peers with lower charges, the level of charges is not a reason to reject it. Fundsmith is the classic example.

TJH

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » October 24th, 2021, 10:30 pm

YeeWo wrote:

I like the idea of holding a couple of dozen really good companies but just haven't got the time to do it justice, maybe when I retire!

It's only such a small level as i've only recently started purchasing it instead of ATT so it'll grow over time but it's a valid point.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 25th, 2021, 2:47 pm

YeeWo wrote:
Stock           | % Portfolio | XIRR   | Held Since | Prime Reason    | Comment                                           
AstraZeneca | 3.70% | 21.82% | 31-Jul-17 | Covid | Too small % of portfolio will have to add or sell.
Aviva | 24.22% | 4.5% | 16-Apr-20 | Recovery | Will trim Aviva back when the investment matures.
Coca Cola HBC | 5.07% | 6.0% | 09-Jun-17 | ROCE | EM Exposure. Coke is great brand globally.
Diageo | 3.74% | 11.5% | 12-Jan-11 | Brands, ROCE | Will top this up substantially if SP falls back.
Inchcape | 3.32% | 12.5% | 24-Feb-09 | ROCE, Buybacks | Becoming a subscale holding, lacks growth.
Int. Hotels | 4.81% | 6.7% | 09-Jun-17 | ROCE, Brands | A brilliant asset lite business model.
RELX | 9.23% | 19.1% | 01-Aug-10 | Moat, ROCE | A unique data business impossible to replicate.
Rio Tinto | 3.84% | 24.1% | 03-Oct-18 | Yield, Moat | The best of the mining companies.
Rothschild IT | 7.10% | 10.2% | 17-Mar-21 | Diversification | Will continue to add over time.
Rolls Royce | 5.55% | 6.4% | 22-Oct-14 | Recovery | Top of my list for disposal when SP recovers.
SFOR Capital | 5.07% | 27.1% | 14-Jun-21 | Speculation | Sir Martin Sorrell is worth a bet.
Smith & Nephew | 3.72% | 3.0% | 06-Oct-16 | Takeover target | Becoming a subscale holding.
Unilever | 9.98% | 10.1% | 12-Jan-11 | Brands, ROCE | Topped up recently, is far too cheap.
JD Weatherspoon | 10.64% | -3.1% | 16-Apr-20 | Recovery | Property assets not valued since 99, too cheap.

I see your huge Aviva holding.
What is this and why does it mature?
Otherwise, I like!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 25th, 2021, 4:25 pm

I very much like the idea of having (and knowing you have!) good reasons for buying and holding any individual share. I too wonder why YeeWo would have such a dominating holding in Aviva and what will signal to him that it has 'matured'? It is what I might call a brave investment but frankly I cannot see any real justification for being so overweight in it, given its very chequered history. Placing a lot of faith in Ms Blanc. She has done the easy bit; now comes the actual running of the business.

Dod

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » October 25th, 2021, 10:06 pm

Dod101 wrote:I too wonder why YeeWo would have such a dominating holding in Aviva and what will signal to him that it has 'matured'?

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/act ... 39307.html

The Cevian Investment Thesis in Aviva makes sense to me. Buybacks and Chunky Dividend payouts in 2022 should hopefully move the SP upwards. Aviva will be such a clean business by the time Amanda Blanc has finished it will either be throwing off cash from the core markets GB/IE/CA OR it will make a decent acquisition bolt-on for many existing global operators. In the meantime, I'll bank the dividends and try and keep well read on progress........

"Matured" will be 500p+ and a good couple of years of dividends. At that point i will cut........

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 26th, 2021, 7:29 am

YeeWo wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I too wonder why YeeWo would have such a dominating holding in Aviva and what will signal to him that it has 'matured'?

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/act ... 39307.html

The Cevian Investment Thesis in Aviva makes sense to me. Buybacks and Chunky Dividend payouts in 2022 should hopefully move the SP upwards. Aviva will be such a clean business by the time Amanda Blanc has finished it will either be throwing off cash from the core markets GB/IE/CA OR it will make a decent acquisition bolt-on for many existing global operators. In the meantime, I'll bank the dividends and try and keep well read on progress........

"Matured" will be 500p+ and a good couple of years of dividends. At that point i will cut........

Thanks. I do not follow Aviva very closely and did not know of the involvement of Cevian. You may of course be right.........

Dod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 26th, 2021, 8:34 am

I note that Fidelity Special Values trust (FSV) has Aviva and Legal & General CFD's and Phoenix Group Holdings in its top ten net long positions and top ten overweight positions.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rdinary-5p

https://www.fundslibrary.co.uk/FundsLib ... NM%2fq&r=1

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 28th, 2021, 9:58 am

dealtn wrote:Top 10 holdings

LLOY Macro play on UK economy, combined with view that margin "jaws" widen on interest rate rise.
TET High ROCE and growth plans to expand capacity (coming on stream soon).
BVXP High ROCE and Operating Margin
BLND Macro play on UK economy, combined with interest rate and inflation view (and contrarian nature suggesting oversold).
WJG UK Property Play, model of pre-selling assets and securing ongoing management income.
CTO Niche company in busy industry with record order book.
GYM Self funding roll out story in Covid recovering sector of the economy.
MKS UK High Street turnaround story boosted by Ocado deal and Pension contrarian play.
LGEN Well run company with portfolio inflation hedge. Pension "problem solving demand" unlikely to fade and perhaps accelerate in overseas markets.
VTU Asset backed contrarian play in motor industry. Plenty of demand in servicing and second hand cars, despite consensus view on switch to BEV.

Lloyds Bank Q3 Interim Management Update

https://www.investegate.co.uk/lloyds-ba ... 00024985Q/

Outlook

• Given our solid financial performance and the improved UK macroeconomic outlook, the Group is enhancing its guidance for 2021. Based on the Group's current macroeconomic assumptions:

- Net interest margin now expected to be modestly above 250 basis points

A pleasing overlap with my reasons for holding

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » November 17th, 2021, 2:04 pm

Dod101 wrote:That is a very useful exercise and I have been practising it for a long while, although usually on 1 January when the exercise is included in my yearly review. It is to mind essential to keep the portfolio sharp and focussed. I do not think I am going to have time this week to do this because i find that it needs a certain frame of mind and some time.

Dod

If you can manage that on 1st January I take my hat off to you, either that or your Hogmanay is somewhat restrained.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » November 17th, 2021, 2:57 pm

Stock

Asia, Far East, Japan
Aberdeen Asian Income Fund Ordinary NPV Shares
Abrdn China Investment Company Limited ORD GBP0.01
Fidelity China Special Situations PLC Ordinary Shares 1p
Henderson Far East Income Ltd Ordinary NPV
Schroder Oriental Income Fund Ordinary 1p
VinaCapital Vietnam Opportunity Fund Ltd USD0.01

India
JPMorgan Indian Investment Trust plc Ordinary 25p

North America
Berkshire Hathaway Inc Class B USD0.0033 *1 *R
Blackrock Sustainable American Income Trust plc Ordinary 1p Shares *1
Canadian General Investments Ltd Nil Par Value (CDI)
Middlefield Canadian Inc - GBP PC Part Pref Shs Npv *2
North American Income Trust plc ORD GBP0.05

Europe
European Assets Trust plc GBP0.10

FTSE 100 Focused
Edinburgh Investment Trust plc Ordinary 25p Shares

Emerging
JPMorgan Emerging Markets Investment Trust plc ORD GBP0.025

World Focused
JPMorgan Global Growth & Income plc Ordinary 5p
Murray International Trust plc Ordinary 25p Shares
Monks Investment Trust plc Ordinary 5p

Real Estate/Property
Aberdeen Standard European Logistics Income plc Ordinary Shares
Urban Logistics REIT plc Ordinary 1p
Warehouse REIT plc Ord

Technology
Allianz Technology Trust plc Ordinary 2.5p
Polar Capital Technology Trust plc Ordinary 25p
Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust plc Ordinary Shares 5p

Smaller Cos UK

Abrdn UK Smaller Companies Trust Plc Ordinary 25p Shares

Mining
BlackRock World Mining Trust plc Ordinary 5p

Smaller Cos Multimedia
Herald Investment Trust plc Ordinary 25p

Music Royalties
Hipgnosis Songs fund Ltd Ord NPV

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 17th, 2021, 4:05 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
Dod101 wrote:That is a very useful exercise and I have been practising it for a long while, although usually on 1 January when the exercise is included in my yearly review. It is to mind essential to keep the portfolio sharp and focussed. I do not think I am going to have time this week to do this because i find that it needs a certain frame of mind and some time.

Dod

If you can manage that on 1st January I take my hat off to you, either that or your Hogmanay is somewhat restrained.

Thank you. Yes I have a very restrained Hogmanay.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 17th, 2021, 6:38 pm

HYP shares:

Aberdeen
Admiral
BATS
BHP
BP
Centrica, alas
CLIG City of London Investment Group
CSN Chesnara
DEC Diversified Gas
GSK
IMB
LGEN
Lloyds
MNG M&G
NG. National Grid
NRR New River
PHNX Phoenix
RBS
RDSB
RIO
SDRC Schroders non-voting
SMDS Smiths DS
ULVR
UU United Utilities
VOD

ITs:

ASEI Aberdeen
ATY Athelney
AXI Axiom European
BERI Blackrock Energy
BIPS (was CMHY)
CTY City of London
HFEL Henderson Far East
JCH JPM Claverhouse
JETI JPM Euro Income
LWDB Law Deb
MAJE Majedie
MCT Middlefield Canadian
MRCT Merchants
MUT Murray Income
NCYF New City High Yield
SEQI Sequoia Infrastructure
SHRS Shires Income

Others;

42TE Co-op
AV.A & B Aviva prefs
BOI Bank of Ireland 13.375%
BP.A & B BP prefs
BWRA Bristol Water prefs
DNA2 Doric Nimrod
ELLA Ecclesiastical Prefs
ENQ1 Enquest
IPF2 International Personal Finance
LLPC & D Lloyds prefs
MBSP & R Manchester PIBS
NATW Natwest 11.5%
NBSR Newcastle 12.675%
NWBD Natwest Prefs
SKIP Skipton 12.875%
STAC Standard Chartered prefs

Some of these are the wife's and I would have jettisoned them, notably VOD, UU, STAC and perhaps LLPC/D.

They are all held for income.
The ITs mostly have good dividend reserves and records.
The HYP shares were chosen because they seemed a good idea at the time, and most of them still are although some of them have paid me divis out of my capital, notably BATS, IMB, CSN.
The Fixed Income were mostly bought a few years ago when yields were fatter, with the exception of MBSP/R which was a brainwave of Gosiegen.

Presently I'm adding to the ITs, and occasionally topping up DEC .

The portfolio is about 25% IT, 40% HYP, 35% Fixed Interest.

V8

Return to “Investment Strategies”