Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Spread Betting - Long term

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
investingfool

Spread Betting - Long term

Postby investingfool » March 14th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Hi Folks

With recent falls in the market, I am looking to start long term spread bet positions on indices primarily SP500, FTSE100, and possibly global ETFs.

What providers have you used that have lowest holding cost (margin over Libor + roll over cost) for futures/forward positions and would recommend?
Would prefer to open 6 or 9 months into the future/forward contracts that can be rolled over at low cost.

Please share your experience.

Thanks

ModernMicawber

Re: Spread Betting - Long term

Postby ModernMicawber » March 16th, 2020, 10:27 pm

I did this last time around; I was pretty fortunate with the timing, bought in March 2009 and took the best part of a year and a half to get stopped out.

On pricing; much has changed; I never filled in the "professional client" forms as I hardly use my SB account any more, so the prices I see now are quite a bit worse. FWIW I have only ever used CapitalSpreads, now LondonCapitalGroup.

From memory, the spreads were wider on the far quarter so I stuck to the near one.

I'd take some time to figure out what your stop loss strategy is in advance and make sure you stick to it.

Return to “Investment Strategies”