Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Capital

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Capital

Postby dealtn » August 10th, 2020, 5:01 pm

onthemove wrote:I'm sorry but that is not the case.

Your simple model assumes that the retained dividend contributes to future earnings (and pretty much on a par with the returns on existing capital), and it is that contribution to future earnings that your simple model is using to offset the reduction in ownership.

The simple model was just to show an example of how it works.

Its along the same lines of someone having a savings account and a current account. The savings account has the option to pay its annual interest to either account.

For some they need the income so ask for it to be paid to the current account. For some they want the income but have it paid to the savings account, and then (needlessly perhaps) withdraw capital from the savings account.

For some they don't need the income and ask for it to be kept in the savings account and grow some more. For some they don't need the income but have it paid to the current account where it is then transferred and added to the savings account (again needlessly) as fresh "capital" where it can grow again.

It is simply maths and cashflows from the investors perspective.

I suspect we won't agree on this so it's perhaps pointless continuing.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 10th, 2020, 5:37 pm

dealtn wrote:
Other than tax, and costs, returns are returns to me, I don't see them as anything other than substitutes for each other.

I think it's a real shame that deep within all the long-running disagreements on this subject, the above single statement that many on both sides can actually agree on lies hidden...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 10th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Other than tax, and costs, returns are returns to me, I don't see them as anything other than substitutes for each other.

I think it's a real shame that deep within all the long-running disagreements on this subject, the above single statement that many on both sides can actually agree on lies hidden...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Well its taken 5 days and 162 posts to reach this point. Surely the topic has been exhausted - well at least I am :)

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 15th, 2020, 9:17 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:Do you happen to know what he thinks about gold?

I believe that Buffett has said that he would never invest in gold or gold miners because you have to pay to dig gold out of the ground and then you have to pay again to put it back in the ground, i.e. in a vault.

But this is where it all gets very confusing, because the poster who was raising Buffett's dislike for dividends seems to spend an awful lot of time *promoting* gold on almost every single thread that I read lately....

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-08-14/W ... -gold.html

Friday August 14, 2020 18:27
Warren Buffett, loaded up on Barrick Gold (NYSE:GOLD), according to a Berkshire Hathway 13F released today.

Buffett bought just under 21 million shares. Current stake is worth $563 million

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 15th, 2020, 9:58 am

1nvest wrote:
Warren Buffett, loaded up on Barrick Gold (NYSE:GOLD), according to a Berkshire Hathway 13F released today.

Buffett bought just under 21 million shares. Current stake is worth $563 million

What is it that they say?

'When the last bear turns bullish....'

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 15th, 2020, 11:43 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
1nvest wrote:Warren Buffett, loaded up on Barrick Gold (NYSE:GOLD), according to a Berkshire Hathway 13F released today.

What is it that they say? 'When the last bear turns bullish....'

... that would be when the BogHeads no longer berate gold and figure that its not domestic stock, foreign stock, bonds ... but domestic currency stock, primary reserve currency stock, gold (global currency). But that will be a while yet, as that doesn't serve Vanguards best interests.

Return to “Investment Strategies”