Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Sources of wealth

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.

How did you accrue your capital?

Routine investments from income/salary
57%
Infrequent investments e.g. annual bonus, commission
12%
Inheritance
16%
Lump sum, e.g. sale of a business
5%
Irregular lump sums, e.g. property development
3%
Property investments e.g. BTL, commercial units
1%
Something else
3%
What wealth??
3%

Total votes: 150

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Sources of wealth

Postby Lootman » February 27th, 2021, 1:05 pm

tjh290633 wrote:GS has shown a rate of return from fixed interest which obvious indicates a method of buying with a higher yield, holding until the yield has fallen and then switching to a similar bond. I have done something similar in a small way in the past with my mother-in-law's small portfolio, when interest rates were very high. I only have paper records, unfortunately, and the period covered was from 1975 until 1993. One of the gilts bought at the outset was T97 8.75%, standing at £64.50 with a ruhning yield of 13.6%. It was sold in 1993 at £108.72, when the yield had fallen to 8.05%. Another was T93 13.75% bought at £94.75 and sold in 1986 at £126.00, the yield having fallen to 10.91% as it headed for redemption.

Among those bought to replace the gilts sold was T98 15.5%, which was standing at £147.25 when bought, with a yield of 10.87%. Sold in 1993 at £137.75, the yield having risen to 11.25%. It would take me some time to recreate a cash flow, which I may do for interest. I am sure that the IRR would have been quite high.

It's hard to know how GS derived his numbers without seeing some of the detail, as you have done regularly. It's obviously possible that he might have bought bonds way back when yields were in double figures. I owned that 1998 15.5% gilt for a while myself. But that is not a repeatable exercise and hasn't been for a long time.

There are other ways to get returns from bonds that are more like equities. You can borrow at an interest rate lower than the bonds you are buying. You can borrow in a low interest currency like CHF and buy, say, Danish mortgage bonds. You can focus on junk bonds which, if you happen to get your timing right, can give equity like returns. You can even take a punt on bank preference shares in a financial crisis and hope that the government bails you out. And so on. Basically you are doing what you can do with equities and take on more risk, in the case of bonds usually interest rate risk or credit risk.

The question is how that all works out if we now have 40 years of rising yields to follow the 40 years of falling yields that have flattered the numbers for every bond investor. I have no use for bonds at this point in the cycle.

Of course if we want to cherry pick dates and returns, how about the S&P 500 over the last 12 years since the March 2009 intra-day low? That index is up 16% a year compounded, before dividends and currency gain. That beats every one of the returns cited. Trackers don't have to be "mediocre".

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » February 27th, 2021, 1:12 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:Unfortunately I'm struggling to find a Global tracker that goes back very far, they seem to be a relatively recent innovation. If anyone has access to one that goes back to 1999 or earlier please post a link.

BoE

A global tracker should be much the same if priced in US$ or Pounds (when adjusted to such), so for 1970 onward ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSCI_Worl ... al_returns

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DEXUSUK/

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » February 27th, 2021, 1:42 pm

Lootman wrote:There are other ways to get returns from bonds that are more like equities. You can borrow at an interest rate lower than the bonds you are buying. You can borrow in a low interest currency like CHF and buy, say, Danish mortgage bonds. You can focus on junk bonds which, if you happen to get your timing right, can give equity like returns. You can even take a punt on bank preference shares in a financial crisis and hope that the government bails you out. And so on. Basically you are doing what you can do with equities and take on more risk, in the case of bonds usually interest rate risk or credit risk.

Much of the good returns from bank bonds and prefs actually came after the banks were bailed out. It just took a long time for the markets to catch up, as happens some times.

Lootman wrote:The question is how that all works out if we now have 40 years of rising yields to follow the 40 years of falling yields that have flattered the numbers for every bond investor. I have no use for bonds at this point in the cycle.

I still hold and invest, though there are few stand out opportunities. Reluctance to pay CGT is a deterrent to disposal as well. My US Treasuries did extremely well when the market tanked last year, so there are diversification benefits to be had.

Lootman wrote:Of course if we want to cherry pick dates and returns, how about the S&P 500 over the last 12 years since the March 2009 intra-day low? That index is up 16% a year compounded, before dividends and currency gain. That beats every one of the returns cited. Trackers don't have to be "mediocre".

Precisely. Saying trackers give "mediocre" performance is just saying markets give "mediocre" performance because a tracker will give market performance minus a few bps. A demonstrably false statement, as you have indicated. Then there is the issue of "mediocre" compared to what? Certainly not "mediocre" compared to most actively managed funds. "Mediocre" compared to what some private investors have achieved, definitely, but certainly not all private investors and probably not most private investors.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » February 27th, 2021, 1:46 pm

1nvest wrote:
Bubblesofearth wrote:Unfortunately I'm struggling to find a Global tracker that goes back very far, they seem to be a relatively recent innovation. If anyone has access to one that goes back to 1999 or earlier please post a link.

BoE

A global tracker should be much the same if priced in US$ or Pounds (when adjusted to such), so for 1970 onward ...

No, you have to adjust for exchange rate at the start and end of the period. It can make a significant difference.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » February 27th, 2021, 1:50 pm

Lootman wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:GS has shown a rate of return from fixed interest which obvious indicates a method of buying with a higher yield, holding until the yield has fallen and then switching to a similar bond.

It's hard to know how GS derived his numbers without seeing some of the detail, as you have done regularly. It's obviously possible that he might have bought bonds way back when yields were in double figures.

Valuation and selectivity. Perhaps playing the yield curve. For instance a 2% coupon Gilt with 20 years remaining priced to a 1.3% redemption yield, whilst a 19 year 2% Gilt priced to a 1% yield will, all else staying the same, see around a +6.3% return if the 20 year is bought and held for a year (sold with 19 years remaining at a price reflective of 1% yields on 19 year Gilts). i.e. picking near the peak of the steepest part of the yield curve.

If applied to a inflation bond (index linked gilt) then that also accommodates unexpected inflation such that whilst the bond might be priced to a negative redemption real yield, actual overall gains with no other changes other than a year passing may see actual real gains.

Add in selectivity of bonds held, corporate for instance, and you in effect also have a stock like element added on top of that. A stressed company where its bond yields had risen to being above average in reflection of the stresses, might see recovery and bond yields declining substantially in reflection of the reduction of 'risk'.

Some bonds are as if not more risky than some stocks and gains/losses reflect the risks. Stocks might be considered as being a undated variable coupon bond. Gold might be considered as a perpetual zero coupon inflation bond. Some investors buy a barbell of long (20 year+) and short (1 year) bonds in equal measure - which broadly compares to a central 10 year bond bullet. Or you might buy a barbell of stocks and gold - that can combine to be like a central currency unhedged global bond bullet.

Along with other measures you might form a opinion as to which assets are the 'better valued' at any one time and/or appropriate percentage weightings to use at any one time. Such predictions will either work, or not and results be good or bad accordingly. Yet others just equal weight and do OK, such as the Permanent Portfolio that allocates 25% to each of stocks, gold, short and long dated Treasury bonds, two barbells, one domestic currency the other a global currency. https://tinyurl.com/353b9e48

everhopeful
2 Lemon pips

Postby everhopeful » February 27th, 2021, 3:47 pm

tjh290633 wrote:The key is to start saving early and keep doing it regularly. Increase the amount as funds allow. I would avoid tracker funds.

TJH

One of the reasons for using trackers is to gain access to more obscure parts of the market. Just as an example I hold EMQQ which is up around 90% in the last year. It is not for widows and orphans but I could not get access to its mix of stocks in any other way.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » February 27th, 2021, 4:02 pm

1nvest wrote:A global tracker should be much the same if priced in US$ or Pounds (when adjusted to such), so for 1970 onward ...

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I was obviously using the wrong search terms!

BoE

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » February 28th, 2021, 7:13 am

tjh290633 wrote:
GS has shown a rate of return from fixed interest which obvious indicates a method of buying with a higher yield, holding until the yield has fallen and then switching to a similar bond.

Exactly, same as savvy investors do with shares or any other security. It was an obvious strategy because: 1. inverted, then v. steep yield curve, 2. convexity, 3. flat risk curve 4. low inflation/deflationary environment.

I didn't necessarily switch though. I was buying gilts aggressively in 2006-8. I held the longer dated ones for a long time. (e.g. I bought 2.5% consols at around 55p before the GFC and they were repaid at the munificence of Mr Osborne at @100p a few years ago -- so almost 5% yield and 100% capital gain.)

Also, whenever yields backed up significantly I bought, mostly at the sweet spot of that extremely steep yield curve, or long-dated gilts. Often I bought using Fools like BoE and Paulypilot as a timing signal -- i.e. when the gilt sceptics were looking to short gilts or trash them as an asset. To me that was an indicator of general retail investor disgust with gilts and thus a perfect buying opportunity. Made good profits that way. Over on TMF LookingForClues bet me the 10y yield would not reach 1.5% when it was at 2.5%. I bought a load of the 10-year and I think it reached the target in less than 12 months. 10% profit in a year on a 10y gilt.

Finally there were the bank and other corporate bonds which were trading at yields of some 30-40% in certain cases. Loaded up on those; one or two failed but the others delivered very nicely. There even was a time in late 2008 when I'd call my broker and he'd tell me the market was in backwardation: he'd offer me bonds for 69p from one market maker and sell them on immediately for 80p to another MM!! Happy days...

If I'd written off bonds as an investment class as often encouraged to do I'd have completely missed these opportunities. Gilts have been in a long bull market fueled by very very sceptical retail investors.

GS

Walkeia
2 Lemon pips

Postby Walkeia » February 28th, 2021, 8:17 am

Since my mid teens I’d had the ambition to be somewhat wealthy (more for financial security reasons than expensive tastes). My education choices were geared towards this, I also had to move regions due to employment prospects where I grew up.

In my younger self’s view I decided routes to wealth were:

1. Maximising income if employed. Choice of industry, willingness to move jobs, change roles. Backing yourself etc. Effectively follow the money. Thereafter leverage up your assets.

With a bit of luck, a lot of work and given a few decades hopefully you’ll be wealthy.

Or,

2. Set up your own business; get an equity payoff. More risk but highest reward.

I spent a decade doing 1. which worked really well but the real game changer in our life was moving to an equity ownership in the business I worked (so 2.)

I’ve taken several big risks when others advised to settle as things were going well. Reflecting - the plan had been earn money, invest wisely with leverage, see where I am at 50. But my real wealth comes from other life decisions and not investing (which I see as wealth maintainence nowadays using almost exclusively trackers and investment trusts.

I think it’s a Buffet quote I read - ‘people ask him how to make money in the stock market, but best investment they can make is increasing their income by getting a raise or promotion’ or something to this effect.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » February 28th, 2021, 9:27 am

tjh290633 wrote:I would avoid tracker funds... a little due diligence will find you better vehicles.

You personally may or may not be able to beat passive trackers, but I think that's appalling advice to give to a beginner.

FT research showed 75% of active funds fail to beat passive trackers over just 5 years. And last year's best funds did no better than average (i.e worse than trackers) going forward. So how is a newbie supposed to "find better vehicles" if the FT says it can't?

I'd strongly recommend any newbie to share investing starts with trackers for the first few years until the learn the ropes and get a feel for how it all works and how much risk they are comfortable with.

"Mediocre" is much better than disaster.

Gryff

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 28th, 2021, 9:42 am

gryffron wrote:I'd strongly recommend any newbie to share investing starts with trackers for the first few years until the learn the ropes and get a feel for how it all works and how much risk they are comfortable with.

"Mediocre" is much better than disaster.

Gryff

Agreed, and that's the advice I've given one of my sons who currently has excess disposable income and who wishes to invest. I pointed him in the direction of Vanguard. He may learn more about investment over time but at the moment is spending long hours working and accumulating.

RC

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » February 28th, 2021, 10:17 am

GoSeigen wrote: Gilts have been in a long bull market fueled by very very sceptical retail investors.

Concurrent sure, but "fueled"?

Retail participation in the Gilt market is tiny. To suggest the opinions of retail investors, in either direction, rightly or wrongly, is driving prices in any way is fantasy.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » February 28th, 2021, 10:44 am

GoSeigen wrote:
If I'd written off bonds as an investment class as often encouraged to do I'd have completely missed these opportunities. Gilts have been in a long bull market fueled by very very sceptical retail investors.

GS

If by retail investors you mean direct household ownership of gilts (as opposed to pension/insurance funds) then this has always been tiny as a fraction of total financial assets.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... eatbritain

No doubt some of this will be down to a poor understanding of bonds generally but it's surely also a consequence of retail investors having access to cash accounts (deposit accounts, NS&I products etc) that offer a better or equal expected return and lower risk. These products are not always available to institutions with much larger bankrolls.

Do you have any other links showing changes in retail ownership of gilts?

BoE

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » February 28th, 2021, 11:48 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:

Look at the graph for the breakdown over time.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/co ... he%20value.

Retail ownership is so minimal it doesn't even feature.

Even if you allocate 100% of the Insurance and Pension industries as Retail (which is a significant error) it's at best a third.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » February 28th, 2021, 1:03 pm

dealtn wrote:
Bubblesofearth wrote:

Look at the graph for the breakdown over time.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/co ... he%20value.

Retail ownership is so minimal it doesn't even feature.

Even if you allocate 100% of the Insurance and Pension industries as Retail (which is a significant error) it's at best a third.

The gilt market (nominal and index-linked) is dominated by those who buy gilts because they are FORCED to by some regulatory or policy requirement not because they think they will deliver good investment performance. For me, that’s a huge red flag.

There are opportunities. I just bought a modest amount (roughly 2% of my portfolio) of a >20yr US Treasury ETF as I think the pound rally had gone to far and the Treasury sell off has been too sharp. I expect to be holding for 6-12 months.

But as a long term play? No way. Cash, gold miners and equities, in roughly 15%, 10%, 75% weights.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » February 28th, 2021, 3:06 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:

GS

If by retail investors you mean direct household ownership of gilts (as opposed to pension/insurance funds) then this has always been tiny as a fraction of total financial assets.

Exactly my point. One day their share will be much higher and I bet gilts will be expensive at that point, not cheap.

GS

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » February 28th, 2021, 4:17 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Exactly my point. One day their share will be much higher and I bet gilts will be expensive at that point, not cheap.

GS

But their share has never been much more, even when yields were higher. I don't think it's about their price, more retail attitudes.

In any case gilts could hardly be described as cheap just now!

BoE

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 1st, 2021, 11:33 am

tjh290633 wrote:GS has shown a rate of return from fixed interest which obvious indicates a method of buying with a higher yield, holding until the yield has fallen and then switching to a similar bond. I have done something similar in a small way in the past with my mother-in-law's small portfolio, when interest rates were very high. I only have paper records, unfortunately, and the period covered was from 1975 until 1993. One of the gilts bought at the outset was T97 8.75%, standing at £64.50 with a runing yield of 13.6%. It was sold in 1993 at £108.72, when the yield had fallen to 8.05%. Another was T93 13.75% bought at £94.75 and sold in 1986 at £126.00, the yield having fallen to 10.91% as it headed for redemption.

Among those bought to replace the gilts sold was T98 15.5%, which was standing at £147.25 when bought, with a yield of 10.87%. Sold in 1993 at £137.75, the yield having risen to 11.25%. It would take me some time to recreate a cash flow, which I may do for interest. I am sure that the IRR would have been quite high.

TJH

Since writing the above I have done cash flows for those gilt holdings, summarised here:

Stock        Bought     @        Sold       @        IRR      Change 
T97 8.75% 15/08/75 64.5 16/08/93 108.72 15.83% 68.56%
E92 12.25% 15/08/75 86.25 10/05/86 115.63 17.37% 34.06%
T93 13.75% 15/08/75 94.75 10/05/86 126 16.69% 32.98%
T96 15.25% 12/05/86 138.63 16/08/93 122.75 10.09% -11.45%
T98-01 14% 12/05/86 136.75 16/08/93 128.91 8.38% -5.73%
T95 12% 12/05/86 116.5 16/08/93 108.91 9.20% -6.52%
T98 15.5% 12/05/86 144.87 16/08/93 137.75 9.62% -4.91%

This was of course a time of high inflation and high yields. I have just checked the RPI at the end of year for start and finish.

Dec 1975: 119.9
Dec 1986: 379.5 XIRR 11.03%
Dec 1993: 559.8 XIRR: 8.93%

For the second interval the XIRR is 5.71%,
RPI is based on 100 in 1974.

TJH

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 1st, 2021, 3:44 pm

For reference, in the way of comparison ...

Some bond investors roll the yield curve, buy near the steepest part of the yield curve and hold for a while before rotating into another choice as the yield curve shifts around). i.e. all-else being equal and assuming no changes that will tend to yield the higher total return.

Some investors constantly roll a 10 year gilt, buy a 10 year, hold for a year, sell that to buy another 10 year. Others go with a barbell, 50/50 in a 1 year and 20 year that generally compares to a 10 year bullet (in practice for the long dated gilt holding you might buy a 25 year and hold that until 15 years remain and then sell that to buy another 25 year i.e. average the 20 year maturity). Yet another choice is to buy a 10 year ladder of 10 year gilts, each year buy a 10 year and as each year a bond matures use the proceeds to buy another 10 year. As you're not trading those, holding each to maturity, marked to market pricing is irrelevant, the rewards simplify to being approximately the rolling average of the past ten years 10 year Gilt yields. For such ... (UK historic 10 year Treasury yields)

Year	10yrYield	10yrLadder
1929 4.76 n/a
1930 4.31 n/a
1931 4.85 n/a
1932 3.67 n/a
1933 3.45 n/a
1934 3.13 n/a
1935 2.74 n/a
1936 2.73 n/a
1937 3.1 n/a
1938 3 n/a
1939 3.46 3.574
1940 3.03 3.444
1941 2.72 3.316
1942 2.63 3.103
1943 2.73 2.999
1944 2.69 2.927
1945 2.64 2.883
1946 2.31 2.873
1947 2.41 2.831
1948 2.52 2.762
1949 2.5 2.714
1950 2.62 2.618
1951 3.24 2.577
1952 3.95 2.629
1953 3.5 2.761
1954 3.2 2.838
1955 4.14 2.889
1956 5.13 3.039
1957 5.28 3.321
1958 5.44 3.608
1959 5.13 3.9
1960 5.82 4.163
1961 6.26 4.483
1962 5.81 4.785
1963 5.08 4.971
1964 5.6 5.129
1965 6.55 5.369
1966 6.88 5.61
1967 6.7 5.785
1968 7.51 5.927
1969 8.83 6.134
1970 8.63 6.504
1971 8.06 6.785
1972 8.37 6.965
1973 10.56 7.221
1974 14.21 7.769
1975 13.18 8.63
1976 13.61 9.293
1977 12.02 9.966
1978 12.12 10.498
1979 12.93 10.959
1980 13.91 11.369
1981 14.88 11.897
1982 13.09 12.579
1983 11.27 13.051
1984 11.13 13.122
1985 10.97 12.814
1986 10.14 12.593
1987 9.57 12.246
1988 9.68 12.001
1989 10.19 11.757
1990 11.8 11.483
1991 10.11 11.272
1992 9.06 10.795
1993 7.47 10.392
1994 8.17 10.012
1995 8.24 9.716
1996 7.82 9.443
1997 7.05 9.211
1998 5.52 8.959
1999 5.08 8.543
2000 5.31 8.032
2001 4.94 7.383
2002 4.91 6.866
2003 4.52 6.451
2004 4.84 6.156
2005 4.37 5.823
2006 4.43 5.436
2007 4.92 5.097
2008 4.58 4.884
2009 3.74 4.79
2010 3.75 4.656
2011 3.23 4.5
2012 1.96 4.329
2013 2.46 4.034
2014 2.62 3.828
2015 1.9 3.606
2016 1.3 3.359
2017 1.24 3.046
2018 1.46 2.678
2019 0.94 2.366
2020 0.37 2.085
2021 n/a 1.748

Each year you in effect know at year start the exact amount that will provide at year end, for example for 2021 its a 1.748% figure. Again however that's not marked to market so the value of the set/holdings at any one time if valued to the actual gilt prices at any one time would see variations/volatility - but when you're not intending to sell, just hold each bond to maturity, then that's just irrelevant noise.

Not perfectly accurate figures as in practice you wont have exactly the same amounts being invested in each 'rung', rather its a general-guide/close-enough.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 1st, 2021, 4:00 pm

1nvest wrote: the rewards simplify to being approximately the rolling average of the past ten years 10 year Gilt yields.

1981 14.88 11.897

2020 0.37 2.085

I mentioned earlier that from (distant) memory I recalled that bond yields peaked 40 years ago. Your data confirms that, showing a 10-year yield of almost 15% in 1981. I assume the yield curve was fairly flat then and so the best an investor could have done is buy the longest-dated issue, which at the time would have been 25 years in the UK and 30 years in the US. The last 40 years have been extremely flattering to bond investors. As the old saying has it, in a bull market everyone is a genius.

The problem of course, given that the topic is "source of wealth", is how well gilts and treasuries would work for someone starting out now. In 2061 how many people will be attributing their wealth to going all-in into fixed income in 2021?

As some wag recently mentioned, government bonds are now less about risk-free returns and more about return-free risks. There is a real danger of piling in at a 40 year price peak and losing value and wealth for years and decades.

Put it this way. If I offered to borrow for 30 years at 1% interest a year (and say for the sake of argument that there was double collateral in gilts, so no credit risk) would any bond fan here take me up on it? Corporate borrowers have certainly been taking advantage with issues for 40 years, 50 years and even 100 years. The smart money seems to be borrowing rather than lending at the moment.

Return to “Investment Strategies”