Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fundsmith

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Fundsmith

Postby Adamski » June 22nd, 2021, 9:54 am

Great performance ytd for fundsmith, 10.25% ytd yesterday, after a daily drop of 0.77% (s&p has good day yesterday so could rebound that daily drop).

Can't find my thread but did a post start of year about how fundsmith, convinvced myself Terry Smith had lost it, and I reduced my holding. Large outflows so a lot of people did likewise.

Regret that now!! My portfolio return 5%, less than half of fundsmith this half year. Like typical retail investor looked at performance table charts and then did a series of sell at the low, buy high.

Lesson to be learned - have faith in quality investments, and not to be swayed by short term 1-month, 3-month movements!

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Fundsmith

Postby monabri » June 22nd, 2021, 10:33 am

If you were to search on "Fundsmith" with the author as "Adams*" using the search tool , your post is the 4th item.

viewtopic.php?p=380999#p380999

or

viewtopic.php?p=376764#p376764

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 22nd, 2021, 10:56 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:By far my best ever investment. By a significant margin too. One to buy and forget about in my opinion. I see nothing at the moment to suggest the wheels are falling off Fundsmith.

RVF

From a purely psychological point of view, the moment when you are feeling this sort of confidence is the right time to trim exposure to your certain bet.

GS

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » June 22nd, 2021, 11:06 am

I have a large investment in Fundsmith in my SIPP and will admit to having a wobble earlier in the year, but resisted the temptation to reduce my holding. I am pleased I did of course, but when you do back these managers with significant amounts of your capital it can cause the occasional worry.

MM

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 22nd, 2021, 11:09 am

GoSeigen wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:By far my best ever investment. By a significant margin too. One to buy and forget about in my opinion. I see nothing at the moment to suggest the wheels are falling off Fundsmith.

RVF

From a purely psychological point of view, the moment when you are feeling this sort of confidence is the right time to trim exposure to your certain bet.

GS

Similarly, you can be distracted from taking a long-term perspective of your investments by others posting on BB's. You really need to be very careful what you read and write on BB's as it can influence your decision making. Perhaps that was an element in the sell decision the OP made at the time, so they shouldn't beat themselves up too much. You really need to be very careful that your long term goals are not sent off track by the short termism of your average BB poster. Sell decisions are the hardest to make but the "sell" button is just as easy to press as the "buy" button. I keep a spreadsheet logging all my sells to monitor how they perform after I sell and then revisit the reasoning I made at the time. It can be a painful experience but is an essential part of managing your own psychology and learning lessons from past poor decisions.

All the best, Si

Return to “Investment Strategies”