Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Asset Allocation For Perpetual Capital

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Re: Asset Allocation For Perpetual Capital

Postby 1nvest » July 11th, 2021, 2:25 am

Warren Buffett is oft cited as being anti-gold, yet in his 1997 letter
https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/1997.html
Our second non-traditional commitment is in silver. Last year, we purchased 111.2 million ounces.

He's made comments about inflation being a form of tax ...
http://warrenbuffettoninvestment.com/ho ... -investor/
The arithmetic makes it plain that inflation is a far more devastating tax than anything that has been enacted by our legislatures. The inflation tax has a fantastic ability to simply consume capital. It makes no difference to a widow with her savings in a 5% passbook account whether she pays 100% income tax on her interest income during a period of zero inflation, or pays no income taxes during years of 5% inflation. Either way, she is “taxed” in a manner that leaves her no real income whatsoever. Any money she spends comes right out of capital. She would find outrageous a 120% income tax, but doesn’t seem to notice that 6% inflation is the economic equivalent.

and in his 1979 letter noted ...
One friendly but sharp-eyed commentator on Berkshire has
pointed out that our book value at the end of 1964 would have
bought about one-half ounce of gold and, fifteen years later,
after we have plowed back all earnings along with much blood,
sweat and tears, the book value produced will buy about the same
half ounce. A similar comparison could be drawn with Middle
Eastern oil. The rub has been that government has been
exceptionally able in printing money and creating promises, but
is unable to print gold or create oil.

1933 to 1975 and it was illegal for Americans to hold/trade investment gold, so silver might have been the more preferred choice, broadly similar. There's US based historic prices for silver back to 1900 available from the US geological survey web site https://prd-wret.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws ... silve.xlsx

You can get £/$ historical data from https://www.measuringworth.com/datasets/exchangepound/ and from the FRED https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DEXUSUK/ (FRED can also source historical gold prices back to 1968 https://fred.stlouisfed.org/tags/series?t=gold )

For US stock data from 1871 ... Robert Shillers data http://www.econ.yale.edu/~shiller/data.htm

As mentioned earlier however pre 1933 US, 1931 UK and it made more sense for a PM investor to hold T-Bills, that was like the state paying you for it to securely store your gold. Shillers data also includes short term treasury interest rates. After that the legal obligation for conversion of gold/money by banks was removed and in the US gold was outlawed as a investment asset ... until 1975

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » July 11th, 2021, 2:37 am

1nvest wrote:
Bogle recommends the ultimate in buy-and-hold investing: a completely static portfolio. He would buy the 50 largest companies in the S&P 500 and then never buy another.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/1999/0614 ... 9cad9c6874

Indeed you did remember correctly. I'm amazed, not at the memory, but at the Forbes report.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 11th, 2021, 7:05 am

1nvest wrote:Warren Buffett is oft cited as being anti-gold, yet in his 1997 letter
https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/1997.html
Our second non-traditional commitment is in silver. Last year, we purchased 111.2 million ounces.

That does not exactly sound like an endorsement for gold.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 11th, 2021, 7:15 am

AWOL wrote:
1nvest wrote:
AWOL wrote: 3% is safer. 2% is about as close as you'll ever get to being perpetual for 50, 60 whatever years. IIRC 60/40 was found to be safer than 100/0 in that respect ... digging ...
... and that suggests that 75/25 was better/safer at 60 years/3.25% SWR than either all-stock or 50/50

Historically 2% looks ultra safe and 75/25 was a very sweet asset allocation. I think it all depends on the inputs modelled given were we are.

Project Future Real Returns
Stocks for next 10Y 2.61%
Stocks after that 5.00%
Bonds for next 10Y 0.00%
Bonds after that 1.50%
Cash for next 10Y -1.00%
Cash after that 0.00%
Custom Series for next 10Y 0.00%
Custom Series after that 0.00%
Gold for next 10Y 1.00%
Gold after that 1.00%
Retirement Horizon (Months) 360
Final Value Target (%of initial) 100%

Gives these kind of scary results.

SWRs to target different Failure Rates

Failure Rates All Since 1926 Since 1950 CAPE<=20 CAPE>20 CAPE>30
0.00% 0.57% 2.25% 2.25% 2.03% 0.57% 2.25%
1.00% 2.33% 2.67% 2.58% 2.55% 1.87% 2.29%
2.00% 2.54% 2.90% 2.87% 2.74% 2.15% 2.33%
5.00% 2.88% 3.21% 3.19% 3.06% 2.42% 2.39%
10.00% 3.23% 3.57% 3.46% 3.53% 2.88% 2.51%
25.00% 3.98% 4.22% 4.07% 4.33% 3.35% 2.84%
50.00% 5.44% 5.98% 5.50% 6.37% 4.00% 3.18%

Unless you think life is for studying numbers, I would give up on all this stuff. It will prove nothing and frankly I doubt that it will get you anywhere. My life is for living and I have regarded it as that from the day I was given early retirement with what was then a good settlement. The vicissitudes of real life are far more important than spending hours analysing numbers. Since 1926? Studying past numbers are very largely a waste of your time, believe me.

Dod

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » July 11th, 2021, 7:31 am

AWOL wrote:Hi :? ,

I am struggling to work out asset allocation for my retirement capital with a goal of a perpetual fund that will be there for my disabled son if he cannot get work as an adult but will support me for my life first. At the moment I am 95% equity and 5% premium bonds (to cover short dips but not long term bear markets). I have run simulations but when one assumes returns based on inverse CAPE, bond yields and inflation things look ugly and bonds look dreadful in most scenarios but helpful in some. I have even had the word gold pop briefly into my head.

Frankly I have spent days running simulations and building models and came to the conclusion that around 1-1.6% draw down on at least 90% equities looks cautious but I cannot stomach anything below 2%. I have also concluded that there is such a range of possibilities including events and sequences never seen before that it's impossible to eliminate risk.

With so many variables I am paralysed and thinking of sticking with current allocation and 2% drawdown. This combined with about 7k of guaranteed income until state pension is comfortable as long as we don't have a long bear market.

It's hard to make a forever portfolio when the models use historic data that covers very different situations from extreme CAPE, extremely low gilt yields. Should I look at golden butterfly or is there a better approach?

Thanks,
AWOL

PS- Sorry if this should have been in retirement investing. I always struggle choosing between these two forums! I think I got it wrong.

Hi AWOL,
reading this and trying to put myself in your shoes, and I come up with a different set of worries:

You have close to a £1m in assets, are looking to extract about 2%/year and have more than a couple of years cash/PB buffer. This should protect against any sequence of returns risk, so staying with global stock markets seems like an acceptable long term position.

How are you going to manage the transition for your son in a tax efficient way? Are you already putting moneys into ISA/LISAs for him? His pension? Have you set up a trust as the beneficiary of yours/your wife's SIPPs? Is he capable of making his own financial decisions? Will you need to spend time educating him on this, or look for executors that you trust/will be around after you have gone? Has he got property in his own name yet?

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » July 11th, 2021, 8:16 am

TUK020 wrote:How are you going to manage the transition for your son in a tax efficient way? Are you already putting moneys into ISA/LISAs for him? His pension? Have you set up a trust as the beneficiary of yours/your wife's SIPPs? Is he capable of making his own financial decisions? Will you need to spend time educating him on this, or look for executors that you trust/will be around after you have gone? Has he got property in his own name yet?

My fleeting sense of panic has passed, no doubt it was partly fuelled by stress caused by something else that happened in my non-financial life, and I am coming to the conclusion that we are either alone in a meaningless universe or buffeted by the whims of the gods and any changes in asset management need to address a specific threat that I have sufficient confidence in to surrender historic returns for downside protection and this is constrained by awareness that this is timing the markets. My lack of confidence in my powers of prophecy mean that I will just keep doing what I am doing.

There's a stronger argument for giving up the cash buffer and being 100% equities but the point of the cash buffer is to steady my hand when a severe correction or crash happens. I am going to play with modeling equity/gold barbells but ultimately gold is a mercurial investment that goes through long bear markets and leaps into life at times of anxiety but not all of them and is certainly not a protection against all types of inflation (which will lead to something more like a Harvard endowment allocation).

My son is a young schoolboy, I have a separate sum invested to cover my sons university costs should they go that way in time. I had been assuming that my pension would pass tax free to him via my wife but I only read yesterday about it becoming taxable at 75. This blows a hole in my plans and means I need to do my homework again. ISAs, although they can pass to spouses, are part of ones estimate for IHT when passing to children. I assume this mean I need to look into a trust.

I will need to educate both of my children on investment. The time isn't right yet, they won't take it in properly but I am concerned that I need to start subtle investment education.

It is hard to predict where my autistic son will be at adulthood. He is of above average intelligence but ADHD stops him applying himself. Fortunately this is improved by medication (which in turn carries it's own risks!) but we cannot give him enough to last all day or he won't eat so it's morning only. Where he'll land with education I don't yet know but he's only at the middle of his school years. So he may end up working as a marine biologist like he dreams of being or he may fail to get going. It's very hard to predict as he is both young and young for his age.

Poor social skills may also mean that he cannot get hired/stay hired in an era that wants new hires to be team players and social media agile more than ever. This all remains unknown but only 16-20% of autistic adults are employed (this is a real crime and one that society needs to address along with wider barriers to the disabled).

One worrying trend is that like many autistic children he gets very attached to things and hordes. Unfortunately this means that he won't spend money because he claims he remembers who gave him each note and has found memories of their kindness that he couldn't part with. He has every penny that he has ever received in a jar under his bed. (Cash given to me for him is in his investments).

So I have no idea if he will be living with us or what in the future. I also have another son who I love equally and that if things go well will get half of everything, if badly then I will need to address each child according to their needs (which shocks my in-laws but when faced with this situation is the right thing to do and my lawyer tells me the courts have forced this kind of division on estates in the past).

I hope both of my children are successes but have enough reason for doubt to have a plan for the worst. Of course events can always turn things on their head so I need to be aware of that.

You have however caused me to realise how remiss I am being with having a dysfunctional plan and I must address that. My will is reasonably bland but will need some tweaks. I also have to write down a guide for my wife as she, while an intelligent professional, isn't comfortable with financial matters and doesn't seam to retain what I say on this topic. We don't have JISAs as I had a friend whose child got money at 18 and blew it all on heroin (they were from a posher/better background than I am) and killed himself with it to her eternal distress.

Ironically I was a "my children will make their own way I am going to spend it all" guy before I had children! Even without one of them being autistic I would not think that way now although I can understand why I once did.

My plans do not count on the small inheritance that I will probably get (probably £100k from my parents) nor do they account for my wifes.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » July 11th, 2021, 2:57 pm

AWOL wrote:There's a stronger argument for giving up the cash buffer and being 100% equities but the point of the cash buffer is to steady my hand when a severe correction or crash happens. I am going to play with modeling equity/gold barbells but ultimately gold is a mercurial investment that goes through long bear markets and leaps into life at times of anxiety but not all of them and is certainly not a protection against all types of inflation (which will lead to something more like a Harvard endowment allocation).

£1M portfolio value 5% cash reserve £50K that sees stocks halve in real terms perhaps due to rising inflation and where cash also gets hit and sees its purchase power halved, at a time when the cost of replacing a roof that previously cost £20K but had risen to £40K as a result of inflation, could end up with you having to sell shares at bargain discount price levels to service other spending.

Historic data/outcomes is at best just a guide, but can still provide a image of relativity (these are all real figures)
T-Bills are all UK based, as is it all relative to UK inflation.
Min ongoing is the worst/lowest inflation adjusted portfolio value after withdrawals of SWR (yearly granularity).
Min End is the lowest real portfolio value at the end of 30 years.
Average and Median real gains reflect how much the portfolio grew by after SWR withdrawals at the end of 30 years. Average can be distorted by a single extreme case, so median is generally the better broader picture figure.

If forward time sees outcomes falling within historic limits then in the absence of anything else its a potential feed into making choices.

If for instance your definition of risk was ongoing capital value then you might prefer one choice over another; Or if maximising potential wealth expansion was more the objective then another choice might appear to be the more attractive.

30, 40, 50, 60 ... years i.e. with heirs in mind is a long time across which anything might occur and risks outside of simple worst case historic lows, average real gains ...etc. should also include other risk factors, such as taxation risk, divorce/partner claims against estate and even the possibility of a total devastation/loss of a single asset such as a uninsured loss of a home.

One could perhaps fully liquidate and just invest in stocks, but then have to find/pay rent, perhaps over a time when inflation, interest rates and taxation were all relatively high. Concentration risk is a major risk factor and accordingly I'd rather see less drawdowns even at the expense of less average rewards and broader diversification. If the income being provided is enough then additional 'surplus' gains are just icing.

Primarily its a case of picking what one is comfortable with and staying the course. Yet another significant risk is performance chasing that commonly costs 2% annualised on average, much worst for some. Historically those that thought they'd be OK with riding volatility has seen some capitulate at the lows to 'save what little remained'.

IIRC the Harvard endowment allocation is something like a third stocks, a third private equity, a third split between properties, commodities and bonds ... is that the sort of allocation to which you refer?

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » July 11th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Thank you. Something like that, yes. However the Ivy League style portfolios didn't do as well as they once did once everyone copied the asset allocation and priced in all the value.

They may do a bit better now that PE is in vogue but I don't think they are quite as all weather as they were. In backtesting they do really well.

I will mull over some of those interesting AAs although I'm more a global investor with a UK overweight on small caps. I think small cap investing is much easier for a manager that is based in the market and I think Small Caps are one area where active management adds value.

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » July 12th, 2021, 6:54 pm

@AWOL

The advice from DOD is excellent, I have been retired 14 years and investing for 30+ years. I have run 85% to 98% equities throughout and averaged real returns of around 8% ( nominal 10% to 12%)

Stop modelling the past, its interesting but pretty useless going forward. There are similarities between past events, but nothing predictive or prescriptive of future events. CAPE is interesting but won’t tell you what happens next, I understand the desire to play the numbers, a lifetime ago I read mathematics at Oxford and like to play with numbers, but it doesn’t help, honest !

A drawdown of 3% or 4% will probably be ok, but you need to be flexible with how much income you draw each year, be cautious in a period of poor returns, use a buffer. Your cash/NS&I/premium bonds/bonds are for certainty of income, like an insurance premium, don’t demand any returns of your insurance, it’s there so you don’t worry. I hold premium bonds and TIPs as my backup buffer, enough to last 5 to 10 years, that level of income is around 1.5% of the capital pool. That leads to a reserve/cash buffer/ low risk assets of 7.5% to 15% You have 5 to 10 years for markets to recover from a fall, probably be ok.

I went into 2007-2009 at the 98% equities, (that was too high an equity proportion) !!! it worked out well, opportunities present themselves, for Covid ,oddly I was (accidentally) closer to 20% safe assets, this removed money as a concern during a very uncertain period and very quickly provided investment opportunities. Like DOD I have more now than ever before.

High equity holdings can work out well but you need enough to cover your needs for an extended period, whilst markets hopefully recover, you would expect some dividends to keep coming in even during a crisis period.

We appear to be looking at a period of much lower returns going forward, we don’t know though….Your portfolio as a mix of passive and investment trusts, well diversified, sounds pretty sensible.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » July 12th, 2021, 8:04 pm

Hariseldon58 wrote:I have been retired 14 years and investing for 30+ years. I have run 85% to 98% equities throughout and averaged real returns of around 8% ( nominal 10% to 12%)
We appear to be looking at a period of much lower returns going forward, we don’t know though

Since 1990 even something like a 10 year gilt fund would have provided 6% nominal 4% real. Go further back to the 1980's and you could even have bought into index linked gilts paying 4% real. that rising tide looks to have peaked and indeed forward returns might not only flatten down but could even see a receding tide. In the 1960's/70's when the last tidal turn occurred those heavily into stocks and who were drawing a income/retired in some cases saw total devastation - a lifetime of savings/accumulation lost relatively quickly.

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » July 13th, 2021, 12:57 am

1nvest wrote: In the 1960's/70's when the last tidal turn occurred those heavily into stocks and who were drawing a income/retired in some cases saw total devastation - a lifetime of savings/accumulation lost relatively quickly.

Ugh! This sort of thing really sets me off worrying. The 60s are long enough ago that people forget about it/didn't experience it but recent enough such that maybe a repeat couldn't be ruled out.

I love a disaster story - are you able to elaborate on your statement a bit?

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » July 13th, 2021, 1:09 am

AWOL wrote:It is hard to predict where my autistic son will be at adulthood.

As a slight aside can I say I think there are increasingly good reasons to be positive about this.

Recognition of the value of diversity in the workplace is soaring.

Anecdotally I can tell you we recently hired someone with autism into our team and he has amazing skills on maths and spreadsheets that far surpass many others who have been in the team for a while. Our productivity is increasing because we are being more welcoming and accepting of more difference in the team.

I think recognition of the value that difference and different people can bring is on the increase, at least at the best and most successful firms.

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » July 13th, 2021, 9:14 am

@wanderer

History does not repeat, as they say it rhymes…

The 1960’s and 1970’s provided difficult periods of returns, it was not that disastrous for a diversified investor.

It was pretty grim in the UK in the 70’s but the US there was an extended period of poor returns from the mid 60’s through to the 70’s, the real returns were negative but the nominal returns with dividends were often positive.

The period of 2000 to 2010 was at least as bad in real terms for the US markets. We know what came next, as it did in the 80’s.

If you held a World index in the 2000’s your returns would have been positive, emerging markets soared …

For the S&P500 play with this returns calculator

https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/

In the 70’s Britain, inflation was the killer but we now have inflation linked government bonds , we have easy access to other markets / currencies.

It’s interesting that in the 60’s and 70’s US dividends were much higher than now. The main takeaway is to diversify, we don’t know what comes next and when we have a general feeling that any price is ok, dividends are very low, bonds are pointless etc The fed will rescue the market etc, shares prices may become/be frothy and poor returns may follow, with a decent reserve that need not be disastrous.

1invest takes a particular line on diversification that may we’ll be prescient, no one knows but spreading risk over different assets etc is probably sensible.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » July 13th, 2021, 9:49 am

Correct me if I am wrong but extremely expensive stocks, and very low bond yields are not a scenario that I believe we have seen before. Combine this with a rise of correlation between bonds and equities and I can see that alternatives are desirable. Gold, bitcoin, commercial property, absolute return funds (cough), Private Equity. I have PE covered. With rare exceptions like RICA, absolute return funds are awful and at best a recipe for lower returns except in the aftermath of calamity. Gold looks the most appealing, and bitcoin is even starting to look appealing but I have no faith in it. It's a greater fool buy until it goes legit and plays ball with the authorities.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » July 13th, 2021, 12:32 pm

http://warrenbuffettoninvestment.com/ho ... -investor/

The arithmetic makes it plain that inflation is a far more devastating tax than anything that has been enacted by our legislatures. The inflation tax has a fantastic ability to simply consume capital. It makes no difference to a widow with her savings in a 5% passbook account whether she pays 100% income tax on her interest income during a period of zero inflation, or pays no income taxes during years of 5% inflation. Either way, she is “taxed” in a manner that leaves her no real income whatsoever. Any money she spends comes right out of capital. She would find outrageous a 120% income tax, but doesn’t seem to notice that 6% inflation is the economic equivalent.

UK stocks with a retiree drawing a 4% SWR across 1973 and 1974 went into the start of 1975 with less than 25% of their inflation adjusted start date portfolio remaining and would have to drawn over 20% of that at the start of 1975 for that years spending, a year when there was also 25% inflation. And that's just pure mathematical based. In practice taxation had also soared, the Beatles for instance were singing 'Taxman' ... in reflection of 95% tax rates, even for Joe Average taxes were up at 40% type levels.

In the early 1980's Inflation Linked Gilts were introduced, however if such were available in those 1970's years I very much suspect that methods would be employed to dilute down the Treasury having to pay 25% type interest rates. Majors such as the UK don't default openly, so I suspect it would have been via taxation, 25% inflation, 40% taxation, -10% net real. Under present era conditions I guess ISA rules might be revised to only exempt capital gains from taxation, the path to potential taxation of ISA income sources was somewhat indicated in a budget some years back, can't recall exactly which, but where something along the lines of "ISA dividends continue to remain tax exempt" was said, which pricked my ears at that time as being a pointer to that removal of tax exemption of ISA income streams had been considered.

If you managed to get through those 1970's years with a reasonable amount of capital still intact then good gains followed, 1980's/1990's could be considered as 'compensation' years, but only for those who had capital. For some they might have seen the equivalent of a £1M portfolio value in todays money terms quickly reduced down to very low levels, more so if a unexpected expense occurred such as having to replace your roof. Returning to work would have been difficult given that many had been reduced to three day weeks and strikes were rife, with regular power cuts etc.

In other even earlier cases of receding tides real (inflation factored in) outcomes have seen both price and dividends declining more than 80%, that when combined with also drawing a income and paying taxes could have wiped retirement investors out relatively quickly. Such periods repeat across time, where some totally avoid stocks as being 'pure speculative' due to either personal or family past experiences. Groucho Marx for instance was a keen stock investor in his earlier years, lost a absolute fortune and thereafter remained in bonds in his later life.

A factor is that even a decent reserve might be harshly hit, enough spending for a year or two under high inflation, high taxation along with a unexpected expense could be all spent much quicker than anticipated.

Such bad cycles can and do occur, the question is when. Nobody knows but present day circumstances/valuations/interest rates etc. are perhaps more indicative of a potential cycle repeat being sooner rather than later. And when your horizon is perhaps 30 years there is a risk that many of today's "stocks have served me well, I'm near all-in" may get caught out as others have in the past.

Key is to get through those often relatively short periods, perhaps just 5 or 10 years, with enough capital still intact to benefit from the pre or post compensation/good-times. For accumulators that's a breeze as such declines can actually enhance your overall outcome/rewards. For retirees its a case of having enough that a low SWR/withdrawal rate has you near no different to being a accumulator. Plan for the worst, such as using a 2% SWR, hope for the best - where the portfolio value might grow well ahead of inflation such that additional periodic discretionary spending might be drawn/spent.

Being very pessimistic here, I'm not a doomster, rather just highlighting what can/does occur at times and forewarned is forearmed. We've just been through a era where central banks all around the world having been printing money to buy up bonds, where with such a big buyer on the block who has no regard for what return they achieve prices of bonds have risen to levels where negative real yields are apparent. With bond prices/values so high so pension funds rebalance out of bonds into stocks, that has pushed stocks to high valuations. In the US over the last 12 years stocks have rewarded around 14% annualised real gains and even if they paid just 0% for the next 12 years investors over those 24 years would still have achieved 7% annualised real rewards. But for a investor drawing perhaps 4% across a period of 0% real, well they're eating capital, see the income drawn rising as a percentage of ongoing portfolio value, perhaps half their portfolio value spent after 10 years. The reality is that each/any asset allocation during retirement/drawdown can dip to being down at 25% of former start date inflation adjusted value and you have to be prepared for that. Where a initial 4% may be up at being the equivalent of a 16% withdrawal rate relative to ongoing portfolio value and borderline sustainable. The best defence is having more than enough baseline capital, instead of 25 times yearly spending having 50 times such that a 2% SWR is enough. Better still is having enough in other sources of income to see you through. A retiree with a £10K/year state pension, another £10K/year index linked occupational pension or annuity, £25K/year spending, only needs £5K of yearly income from investments which if 2% = £250K portfolio value. For the next gen for whom inflation linked state/occupational pensions are perhaps no longer available, well they'll have to accumulate their own personal pots of around £1.25M to compare, and bear the risk of poor management/errors/circumstances of those funds, along with other higher expenses such as the transition towards self funding of their own health care etc.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » July 14th, 2021, 2:04 pm

AWOL wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but extremely expensive stocks, and very low bond yields are not a scenario that I believe we have seen before. Combine this with a rise of correlation between bonds and equities and I can see that alternatives are desirable. Gold, bitcoin, commercial property, absolute return funds (cough), Private Equity. I have PE covered. With rare exceptions like RICA, absolute return funds are awful and at best a recipe for lower returns except in the aftermath of calamity. Gold looks the most appealing, and bitcoin is even starting to look appealing but I have no faith in it. It's a greater fool buy until it goes legit and plays ball with the authorities.

Stocks might broadly offset/hedge inflation. 2i (where i=inflation) type reward expectancy i.e a price that rises with inflation along with paying dividends that might compare to cash interest, that also paces (broadly) inflation. Gold is a 1i type holding, might broadly just offset inflation.
HOWEVER FX can be as good as gold, US stocks provide stocks +/- FX gains/losses to a UK investor.
Third each UK stock, US stock, gold, but mentally shift the US FX over to gold and that could be considered a form of 67 stock, 33 2x gold (foreign currencies) combination. But where you are equally currency diversified across £ domestic, $ primary reserve currency and gold global currency (at any time one of those will be down (up) relative to the others). And where the broad reward expectancy is 2i, similar to all-stock.

Nominal US total return data for domestic (US stock), foreign (global excluding US), gold

If you draw to spend from the least-down/most-up then in most years that's almost like having 33% in cash reserves i.e. the best of the set may see relatively low declines even if others are down relatively heavily

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » July 14th, 2021, 7:20 pm

wanderer wrote:
AWOL wrote:It is hard to predict where my autistic son will be at adulthood.

As a slight aside can I say I think there are increasingly good reasons to be positive about this.

Recognition of the value of diversity in the workplace is soaring.

Anecdotally I can tell you we recently hired someone with autism into our team and he has amazing skills on maths and spreadsheets that far surpass many others who have been in the team for a while. Our productivity is increasing because we are being more welcoming and accepting of more difference in the team.

I think recognition of the value that difference and different people can bring is on the increase, at least at the best and most successful firms.

I really hope you are right and celebrate each success. We have a long way to go. Although things appear to have improved only 22% of autistic adults are employed in the UK. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... theuk/2020

When at my last employer (a major US tech company) I saw a number of people that I later learned had been autistic being fired for various reasons to do with "cultural fit". One of them is now a Role Model/advocate for Autism at a FTSE100 company 8-) as an example of the how talent can be overlooked when it's dissimilar to the hiring manager.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 14th, 2021, 7:37 pm

AWOL wrote:
I will need to educate both of my children on investment. The time isn't right yet, they won't take it in properly but I am concerned that I need to start subtle investment education.

I've addressed this with my children who are likely to receive a reasonable inheritance at some point later. Basically. I've pointed them in the direction of Vanguard Index Funds and explained the rationale. Youngest son has already followed my advice. I assume that my children won't have the time nor inclination to learn a great deal about investment apart from the basics.

AWOL wrote:It is hard to predict where my autistic son will be at adulthood. He is of above average intelligence but ADHD stops him applying himself. Fortunately this is improved by medication (which in turn carries it's own risks!) but we cannot give him enough to last all day or he won't eat so it's morning only. Where he'll land with education I don't yet know but he's only at the middle of his school years. So he may end up working as a marine biologist like he dreams of being or he may fail to get going. It's very hard to predict as he is both young and young for his age.

Poor social skills may also mean that he cannot get hired/stay hired in an era that wants new hires to be team players and social media agile more than ever. This all remains unknown but only 16-20% of autistic adults are employed (this is a real crime and one that society needs to address along with wider barriers to the disabled).

One worrying trend is that like many autistic children he gets very attached to things and hordes. Unfortunately this means that he won't spend money because he claims he remembers who gave him each note and has found memories of their kindness that he couldn't part with. He has every penny that he has ever received in a jar under his bed. (Cash given to me for him is in his investments).

So I have no idea if he will be living with us or what in the future. I also have another son who I love equally and that if things go well will get half of everything, if badly then I will need to address each child according to their needs (which shocks my in-laws but when faced with this situation is the right thing to do and my lawyer tells me the courts have forced this kind of division on estates in the past).

Of course I don't know your son but have worked with many autistic people and some can be a tremendous asset to a suitable organisation who value the particular skills that autistic people can give. My wife was recently given a tour of one of the GHCQ establishments, many of the staff are autistic to some degree, including the person who invited her for the visit. Good luck.

RC

Return to “Investment Strategies”