Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Shares & Market Progress

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
robertbanking
Lemon Pip

Shares & Market Progress

Postby robertbanking » July 22nd, 2022, 6:18 pm

Hello you amazing and wonderful people, i do hope you have had a pleasant week and are looking forward to the weekend.

I please wondered how really experienced investors like Warren Buffett know when to add to their holding for instance increasing the size of his position in Apple. I do alot of research into the company, looking at its annual accounts, how the company works, its market share for instance. Does Warren Buffett for instance possibly take note of recent quarterly profits and news in making his decision to top-up please? Further or how does some of you investors kindly know when to top-up after you have done alot of initial research, i know there is no crystal ball to know how well a company is performing, but does anyone kindly have any indicators please to increase the chance of success?

Thank you very much for your time and for reading my post. I would be forever grateful and thankful for any advice or support you can give. Take care and sending you lots of good wishes. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Shares & Market Progress

Postby Gerry557 » July 23rd, 2022, 1:10 pm

I can't comment on what or why decisions Warren makes but he has something. I did note him saying it's been more difficult of late but has built up lots of cash.

As for me and topping up. Generally I have done some research or found something I think I like.

I have to have in place spare capital, normally cash from previous dividends. Note Warrens fund does not pay divis. Can't top up unless you have free funds available know matter how good you think the opportunity is.

Then if something I own shares fall I might consider adding more. After all I thought they were OK so bought in the first place and more likely to be keeping an eye on them. It does depend on why it's fallen though. The market falls and everything gets dragged down is OK but if the individual company has issues I might not unless it's likely to be a temporary situation. Of course you are most likely missing out on lots of other good deals but you can't watch and understand everything.

Personally I like to look at 200 day average and the market if both are down its likely to be rewarding than buying when the market is on a run and the share is on a 200 day high.

I think luck and time in the markets are probably the biggest factors starting out and probably we're for Warren too. Allow those dividends to keep rolling in and compound interest them.

There are lots of other methods which work for other people. Hopefully I can be a lucky investor cos I don't think I'm as good as Warren. I've had some good wins but some losses too. Top performance shares have turned bad and bad ones have got better.

I bought one share, a property company when the market was down. As things improved my return went up. I was a good investor! and I topped up as things were going well and I wanted more. Things ran happily for a while then covid hit. The shares tanked as shops and offices were closed. I was now a bad investor! Things looked bleak but I knew if we got past the worst of covid the shares would follow. I topped up more shares at an even lower price than my previous "good" buy. Now we are post covid things are looking up again but haven't reached the highs of the expensive top up. I'm back in the green again but am I lucky, fortunate, good or bad.

I do know I have a bigger holding than I imagined and that dividends will be more. Divs were cancelled at one point though. You never know when a share is going to have a BP moment or a premium bid offer.

elephanthunt11
Lemon Pip

Postby elephanthunt11 » July 23rd, 2022, 3:51 pm

I buy more whenever the price goes back down to soemthing similar to my entry price, providing there’s no obvious reason that the shares have dropped.

I also buy more if the drop is out of kilter with the stock price’s usual fluctuations

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 23rd, 2022, 4:17 pm

What the OP is trying to do is time the market. If I get it right then look how clever I have been, but mostly it is down to luck. I rarely do any top ups but if I do it is because I want to build a position and then I just buy. This last week I sold Haleon, acquired as a spin off from GSK. With the proceeds I topped up my holding in JP Morgan Global Growth and Income. I have checked the price earlier today and I am modestly up but so what? I wanted to hold more of them so it makes no difference except over a long period what they do.

Dod

Return to “Investment Strategies”