Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

BNKR vs MNP?

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Newroad
Lemon Quarter

BNKR vs MNP?

Postby Newroad » July 27th, 2022, 5:21 pm

Afternoon All.

In the first half of last year, I switched WTAN to MWY (ISA's) - which generally worked out, and MYI to MNP (JISA's) - which didn't. It's time to reflect on the MNP holding, which has suffered, in particular, with the NASDAQ fall.

The prime candidate for me, were I to switch out of MNP would be BNKR.

In the event there were a second half recovery in the US, MNP would likely outperform the market (IMO). If not, BNKR rates to be better (and is currently on a higher discount to NAV. However, these are both simplistic starting views.

Welcome any further thoughts on either (or both).

Regards, Newroad

PS For the EPIC Code gendarmes, have a look at trying to find a reference to "Bankers" using the search function!

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: BNKR vs MNP?

Postby richfool » July 27th, 2022, 7:09 pm

Newroad wrote:Afternoon All.

In the first half of last year, I switched WTAN to MWY (ISA's) - which generally worked out, and MYI to MNP (JISA's) - which didn't. It's time to reflect on the MNP holding, which has suffered, in particular, with the NASDAQ fall.

In the event there were a second half recovery in the US, MNP would likely outperform the market (IMO). If not, BNKR rates to be better (and is currently on a higher discount to NAV. However, these are both simplistic starting views.

Regards, Newroad

PS For the EPIC Code gendarmes, have a look at trying to find a reference to "Bankers" using the search function!

Hi Newroad,

The global growth sector is one I have been looking at very recently. I already hold: Brunner (BUT) and Mid Wynd (MWY) and would like to add one other from that same sector, (or possibly top up MWY), - ideally a trust with a modest dividend yield. (My holding of Brunner is overweight). (Brunner has just lost its lead manager).

Looking at past performance, FCIT seems to have performed well and better than Bankers and Allianz which I also looked at. FCIT has a multi-manager approach, and holds quite a lot of private equity. I was less keen on the latter. I like that it pays a small dividend,about 1.5% yield, whereas MWY's yield is less than 1%. I liked the holdings of Alliance and its dividend yield of c 2.00%, but its capital performance, along with that of Bankers, also didn't compare to that of: FCIT, BUT or MWY.

I noted that FCIT has recently offloaded its holding of global smaller companies and reduced its gearing, if that is of any interest.

That's my two penneth for what it's worth.

Regards

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » July 27th, 2022, 7:13 pm

Thanks, Richfool.

I already hold FCIT, ATST and MWY in some form - so they are excluded for consideration (for this purpose, at least).

I don't fancy SMT (at some level, might as well keep holding MNP if I did) or LTI.

Hence BNKR being the next cab off the rank, if any, were I to switch.

Regards, Newroad

Mememe

Postby Mememe » July 28th, 2022, 9:47 pm

I can only guess at some of the tickers used but for the jisa’s, if the children are young, i would question whether rolling the dice on any trust is worth it over a tracker

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 28th, 2022, 10:11 pm

Mememe wrote:I can only guess at some of the tickers used but for the jisa’s, if the children are young, i would question whether rolling the dice on any trust is worth it over a tracker

Only for the manager of the fund would be my guess! ;)

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 7th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Newroad wrote:Afternoon All.

Regards, Newroad

Hi Newroad, I just stumbled on this thread from a year ago.

Well, I hope you hung on to MNP as it has done well over the last year, mainly, I suspect on the back of the likes of Nvidia.

I have recently taken a small holding of MNP and replaced FCIT with Alliance. (Alliance eeks out a bit more dividend income than FCIT and avoids PE and unlisted stuff). Though my main holding in that sector remains Brunner (BUT).

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » August 7th, 2023, 2:32 pm

Hi RichFool.

Yes, I kept MNP.

Regards, Newroad

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 7th, 2023, 3:01 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi RichFool.

Yes, I kept MNP.

Regards, Newroad

The performance table - "Exhibit 1", halfway down this link, might well interest you.

https://www.edisongroup.com/research/we ... %20Release

Return to “Investment Strategies”