Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Yay,wonderful denialism

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Pastcaring
2 Lemon pips

Yay,wonderful denialism

Postby Pastcaring » July 30th, 2022, 2:40 am

I received a link to a company I know well.WBC (ASX).
The title Longest unbroken dividend paying company in the world? .Paid a dividend every year.
From1817 £100 a share with 2000 shares on issue,to kick off a bank in the colonies.The trace on it is that is now worth around $27.5 million without reinvesting dividends.
I thought they stopped paying dividends during the 1890s banking crisis caused by what will always cause them. People couldn't pay back mortgages on land/ property etc in a recession.Many banks folded.

I thought I was on the lemon fool echo chamber.Everybody trying to prove undeniable facts are wrong.They haven't,they didn't,somebody else said ,I was waiting for the inevitable " Jimsusan bought shares in Lloyyds bank" and Enron went bust.

One was amazing,he would never forgive them for not paying a dividend in 2020,that proved the author wrong.Unfortunately as the author pointed out,paid every year.They did cancel the interim dividend in 2020 as regulators stepped in and told banks to conserve capital,they then increased the dividend for December 2020.They still paid a dividend in 2020.Still not having it,he had proved the author wrong,amazing.
Lemon fool echo chambers all over the world in all walks of life

The facts are wrong if they don't agree with what I want to see.

One very interesting comment was "my wife's grandfather was given 100 shares in 1912,the story going that the bank paid out in shares because they didn't pay a cash dividend,the shares are still in the family and are handed down over the generations".This proves that the author is wrong.Amazing.Could they have paid out a dividend and bonus shares?Did they pay out in shares in lieu of cash dividends to conserve capital?

Comments were closed,fanatical denialism.Not one person prepared to admit that it was probably correct,and even if they did miss the odd dividend the article pointed out long term investing.
The author of the article was selling his wares,a small fund that looked for companies like that and they had a 20 year track record of outperformance.
We'd better rebalance on an annual basis I suppose.Salesman said so and the herd agreed Got to buy and sell

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Yay,wonderful denialism

Postby bungeejumper » July 30th, 2022, 8:23 am

Your rambling rant against the rest of us was posted at 2.40 am. We've all had nights like that, but have you tried Horlicks?

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 30th, 2022, 8:25 am

bungeejumper wrote:Your rambling rant against the rest of us was posted at 2.40 am. We've all had nights like that, but have you tried Horlicks?

BJ

But he appears to live in Aussie Land

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 30th, 2022, 8:38 am

Dod101 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Your rambling rant against the rest of us was posted at 2.40 am. We've all had nights like that, but have you tried Horlicks?

BJ

But he appears to live in Aussie Land

Ah, thanks. My mistake. In that case, I imagine the sun was getting to our friend. As others have noted, there's some very good sense in his posting, but since it's wrapped in so much nonsense it can be rather hard to spot.

BJ

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 30th, 2022, 8:55 am

The end of Neighbours has upset a lot of people. Some things you just can't buy. Emmeline is devastated. (I never seened it.)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 30th, 2022, 9:47 am

If only we'd bought shares in "The Slate Rock & Gravel company". Fred said it was a good company but Barney put me off.

Return to “Investment Strategies”