Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Short-term investment strategy

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Holts
2 Lemon pips

Re: Short-term investment strategy

Postby Holts » April 10th, 2023, 1:23 pm

I’m popping in here with something I know next to nothing about , for the same reason as others I guess , what to do with short term cash .

I have looked at Vanguard Sterling Short-Term Money Market Fund.

The yield shown is trailing and from what I understand is currently greater than 3.5 per cent , there is the possibility of some capital loss but this seems on very rare occasions and can be ridden out .

Any views on this type of instrument ?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 10th, 2023, 3:54 pm

Holts wrote:what to do with short term cash .

I like cash for all short term holdings a year or so and any planned expenditure. If you're buying an investment then there's spread, charges and market risk. Cash has none of them, premium bonds offer around 3% and enough cash savings account with similar amounts exist https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savin ... -interest/
Perhaps if I needed to handle a few million for a few moths I'd have a different view.

Holts
2 Lemon pips

Postby Holts » April 12th, 2023, 10:58 am

Perhaps if I needed to handle a few million for a few moths I'd have a different view.[/quote]

I have bought a small amount as an experiment .

makemakeolaf

Postby makemakeolaf » April 17th, 2023, 10:37 pm

I'm not completely sure about the rules regarding holding cash in an S&S ISA, but if you can't find anything definitive, liquidating and waiting may be your best option. As for investment strategies, there are some low-risk options like government bonds or high-yield savings accounts that may be worth looking into.

Degsy67
2 Lemon pips

Postby Degsy67 » April 19th, 2023, 2:19 pm

Holts wrote:I’m popping in here with something I know next to nothing about , for the same reason as others I guess , what to do with short term cash .

I have looked at Vanguard Sterling Short-Term Money Market Fund.

The yield shown is trailing and from what I understand is currently greater than 3.5 per cent , there is the possibility of some capital loss but this seems on very rare occasions and can be ridden out .

Any views on this type of instrument ?

I suggest you take a look at an accumulating Money Market Fund ETF which tracks the SONIA interbank rate. Something like Lyxor Smart Overnight Return (CSH2).

For 1 year returns see: https://www.google.com/finance/quote/CS ... &window=1Y

For a good video covering the options see: https://youtu.be/qMTkreV2CRU

Degsy

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » April 19th, 2023, 8:53 pm

makemakeolaf wrote:I'm not completely sure about the rules regarding holding cash in an S&S ISA, but if you can't find anything definitive, liquidating and waiting may be your best option. As for investment strategies, there are some low-risk options like government bonds or high-yield savings accounts that may be worth looking into.

Gov bonds may be low risk re default risk but if reasonable term left and bouncing interest rate setting in the UK the only capital certainty is holding to redemption, which may be longer than one wishes to hold, any redemption price earlier is at the whim of the market and may accordingly not be that low risk.

Holts
2 Lemon pips

Postby Holts » April 30th, 2023, 1:30 pm

For a good video covering the options see: https://youtu.be/qMTkreV2CRU

Degsy[/quote]

Thanks for suggestion and link .

Return to “Investment Strategies”