Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

100% equity funds

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Re: 100% equity funds

Postby Bubblesofearth » January 8th, 2024, 10:26 am

Urbandreamer wrote:I'm curious.

Of those who keep significant cash, how many do so in currencies other than their domestic one? For example, living in the UK and keeping $'s. Or living in Europe and keeping £'s.

In other words, is it an investment, or simply spending money?

Keeping cash in ones domestic currency is called savings. Investment is distinct from savings in that you are putting money into assets that you hope will give better returns than savings whilst accepting the higher (volatility) risk that goes with that. So putting money into other currencies would IMO be classed as investing.

Accepting of course that savings carry inflation risk.

BoE

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 8th, 2024, 10:39 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:I'm curious.

Of those who keep significant cash, how many do so in currencies other than their domestic one? For example, living in the UK and keeping $'s. Or living in Europe and keeping £'s.

In other words, is it an investment, or simply spending money?

Keeping cash in ones domestic currency is called savings. Investment is distinct from savings in that you are putting money into assets that you hope will give better returns than savings whilst accepting the higher (volatility) risk that goes with that. So putting money into other currencies would IMO be classed as investing.

Accepting of course that savings carry inflation risk.

BoE

Hence my question, Given the name of the board.

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » January 8th, 2024, 12:05 pm

The irony of a 100% equity portfolio is that it doesn't improve safe withdrawals rates at all - so if you are holding cash because you aren't confident that you portfolio will survive a deep bear market or is susceptible to sequence risk, properly adjusting your asset mix is the better strategy. If you want to enjoy your money rather than continually worrying about the next bear market, I have, for a while, been saying that 70/20/10 stocks/bonds/gold is a very good starting point

I have been thinking some more

60% equity
30 % bond funds such as VAGS - which may or may not be a good idea - could delve into single bonds instead.
10 % cash to use as emergency/buffer/replace the roof/car etc.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » January 8th, 2024, 1:28 pm

Oggy wrote:
The irony of a 100% equity portfolio is that it doesn't improve safe withdrawals rates at all - so if you are holding cash because you aren't confident that you portfolio will survive a deep bear market or is susceptible to sequence risk, properly adjusting your asset mix is the better strategy. If you want to enjoy your money rather than continually worrying about the next bear market, I have, for a while, been saying that 70/20/10 stocks/bonds/gold is a very good starting point

I have been thinking some more

60% equity
30 % bond funds such as VAGS - which may or may not be a good idea - could delve into single bonds instead.
10 % cash to use as emergency/buffer/replace the roof/car etc.

Sometimes it is hard to marry up what all the historical backtests say with your own experience and inklings-

All the backtests show that the cash buffer doesn't do anything for you:
https://earlyretirementnow.com/2017/03/ ... h-cushion/ , the irony is that it would have been an absolutely perfect strategy if you had retired in Dec 2021 right at the peak of the market.

All the backtests show that holding a moderate amount of bonds is better than holding full equities, the irony is holding a balanced portfolio got you beaten up worse over the last 2 years than the riskier all-stock strategy.

Takeway: personal finance isn't easy, and real life future events rarely unfold as well as backtests have you believe.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 8th, 2024, 1:58 pm

As stated, I've bought that IT and my cash level is down to 1.6%, most of which is in my current account.

If I need a new car, I'll sell some gold or equities to cover it.

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » January 8th, 2024, 3:10 pm

Sensible stuff, and here's a couple more takeaways for me....

Past performance is no guarantee of future, but not to be ignored either I feel.
I am realizing for sure this stuff is not easy, but I like to canvass as much opinion as possible, read up about things, and then think a bit before I hit the buy button on HL/AJ Bell websites. A second's slip of my keyboard finger could cost me dear...

hokkaidobear

Postby hokkaidobear » February 17th, 2024, 9:15 am

Btw there are some excellent links in the weekly investing press review on Bankeronwheels.com about 100% Equity Portfolios:

- AQR on why 100% Stocks is not optimal
- ERN about retirement simulations related to 100% Stocks portfolios

EthicsGradient
Lemon Slice

Postby EthicsGradient » February 17th, 2024, 1:17 pm

hokkaidobear wrote:Btw there are some excellent links in the weekly investing press review on Bankeronwheels.com about 100% Equity Portfolios:

- AQR on why 100% Stocks is not optimal
- ERN about retirement simulations related to 100% Stocks portfolios

That AQR article is here: https://www.aqr.com/Insights/Perspectiv ... 0-Equities

Its key paragraph (which it says has been proved, but doesn't say by who or how), seem to be

In finance 101 we are taught that in general we should separate the choice of 1) what is the best return-for-risk portfolio?, and 2) what risk we should take? This new paper, and many like it, confuse the two. If the best return-for-risk portfolio doesn’t have enough expected return for you, then you lever it (within reason). If it has too much risk for you, you de-lever it with cash. Remarkably this has been shown to work.

and it has a footnote saying
BTW, “within reason” is not doing a ton of work here, as the leverage levels needed to make 60%/40% comparable risk to 100% equities are not at all scary.

So it seems to say that the thing to do is borrow some money (as a private individual), ie "lever it", and buy bonds with that (lending it to companies or governments). Which, since I pay far more interest to borrow as a private individual than nearly all governments or companies, does not make sense to me. Can someone explain what that guy really means? Or what he has assumed as "finance 101" which is not obvious from the article?

EthicsGradient
Lemon Slice

Postby EthicsGradient » February 17th, 2024, 1:47 pm

The ERN article is https://earlyretirementnow.com/2024/02/ ... -long-run/

Part 6 says " You’d do better by leveraging the maximum-Sharpe-Ratio portfolio", and seems to be saying that means borrowing at the T-bill rate - to get the same return as a 50/50 US/international stock portfolio (this is from a US investor point of view), you'd invest 77% in 10 year Treasury bonds, 32% US stocks, 32% international stocks, and "-41%" in T-bills - which means borrowing 41% of your available money at the short term rate the US government can. Well, that's great if you can find someone to lend you money like that ... This would decrease the risk from 15% to under 12% (a standard deviation measurement).

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » February 19th, 2024, 12:18 am

If you decided on an equity / bond mix and perhaps chose an intermediates fund with a duration of say, 7 years, you could also hold an equal mix of say a short duration version, 1 year and a long duration version of the same bond index, say duration 13 years, the blended duration is still 7 years and the combo will perform in a very similar manner to the intermediaries index.

The advantage is that short duration half gives you more optionality in the event of significant changes in interest rates.

By extension cash accounts are very close to short duration bonds in practice.

Personally I hold significant sums in unhedged US dollar bonds, TIPs ETFs , logic is a conscious choice to hold additional currency exposure to £ bonds, my equity exposure is 60+% plus in dollars, thus I can move equities to bonds without the complications of currency movements.

Real yields on tips are presently around 2%, so a store of value , subject to interest rate risk but minimal credit and inflation risk.

With TIPs ETFs you can choose duration via TP05, ITPS and UBTL ( short total market/intermediate and long)

Ps ( TP05 is similar to TIP5 , there are various tickers depending on trading currency , dust or acc and depending on platform)

bots33

Postby bots33 » February 20th, 2024, 4:14 pm

I currently hold 28% of my portfolio in cash - most of it in Cash ISAs returning greater than inflation (for the moment). Hold £1k in AUD, EUR, USD as holiday spend money - otherwise all GBP since that's what my outgoings are in. The purpose is to avoid sequencing risk and identify an amortisation amount to reduce cash to zero, when state retirement pension is received in 10 years time. Then use the equity to fund health care / longer term care.

The other reason to hold cash is so there's an incentive to spend it! No dependents, so anything left will go to my partner and HMRC. Helps get over the mental hurdle of decumulating after a lifetime of saving.

DaveP

Postby DaveP » March 26th, 2024, 8:07 pm

I'm not quite sure how to answer this, but basically it's "Yes".

I'm still working and I'm fortunate to have a police pension but my "investments" are 100% in equities (with about six months worth of cash in a savings account).

I used to run a HYP(ish) portfolio but these days all of my investments are in Vanguards "UK Equity Income" Inc fund. It does pretty much the same as a HYP but without the maintenance.

And it's done well for me for the last 6 years or so.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 26th, 2024, 8:33 pm

bots33 wrote: Helps get over the mental hurdle of decumulating after a lifetime of saving.

By avoiding accumulating?

ukmtk
2 Lemon pips

Postby ukmtk » March 27th, 2024, 3:37 am

In my SIPP I only hold a small amount of cash.
I normally use the generated dividends to buy more of what I'm currently buying.
I do this on a quarterly basis. I'm still saving monthly (V3AB).

.%   Area      Ticker
7% property API, CREI, RGL
10% bonds BIPS, SMIF, NCYF
35% non-UK HFEL, MYI, V3AB, VFEM, VHYL
47% UK AEI, HHI, IUKD, MRCH, VUKE

Just over half is IUKD, VHYL, VUKE

I'm a year or two away from using my SIPP for drawdown income.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 27th, 2024, 7:32 am

vand wrote:The irony of a 100% equity portfolio is that it doesn't improve safe withdrawals rates at all - so if you are holding cash because you aren't confident that you portfolio will survive a deep bear market or is susceptible to sequence risk, properly adjusting your asset mix is the better strategy. If you want to enjoy your money rather than continually worrying about the next bear market, I have, for a while, been saying that 70/20/10 stocks/bonds/gold is a very good starting point.

+1 but without the bonds. Bonds and cash deposits are loans, often where the borrower gets to set/change the rules, and pay relatively little. I see occupational+state pensions as a inflation bond ladder, that is fully exhausted the day you die.

67/33 stock/gold is inclined to rise less during good times, fall less during bad times, and a degree of inverse correlations, whatever might drive stocks to halve could see the price of gold double. 67/33 stock/gold -> 33/67 stock/gold and rebalancing has you back to 67/33 stock/gold, no capital loss after stocks had halved, still holding 67/33 but where you're holding twice as many shares as before (less ounces of gold). At other times it swings the other way, end up with fewer shares, more ounces of gold.

Most wont be lumping in or out, will time average in (working/saving) and out (retired) over many years. Sometimes you'll be adding (removing) at lows, at other times highs, averages out. As such little cash needs to be held, just draw from whichever is the most up at the time. A couple of credit cards each with £5000/whatever limit is near instant £10,000 cash to hand. Daily spend using those, a week before the credit card payment date sell enough in your brokerage account and transfer the proceeds to your regular account in time to pay off the credit card bill.

Many might also own their own home, which adds to overall diversity.

A factor with stock funds is that they may benchmark/align to a index that discounts withholding taxes. SP500TRN ... US S&P500 total return net of 30% US default US dividend withholding taxes. If dividends were 4%, the index discounts 1.2%, so if the share price had remained unchanged across a year long period, the gross index total return gain of 4% would be recorded as a 2.8% Index total return gain, that actual funds might then compare/align their funds performance to. 2.8% index gain, fund achieved 2.1% gain in reflection of its 0.7% fund fees. Your £100,000 investment amount has £2100 credited (the broker actually owns the shares, not you), but discounts £10/month, £120/year in brokerage account fees. +£1980. But as part of sales pitches, by the taxman, market makers, brokers, fund managers ... etc that share a part of your money, will tend to use historic gross index total returns as enticement as to why you should invest in their products. Oh look if you'd invested in stocks you could have enjoyed a 4% SWR (withdrawal rate), but where after costs maybe more than half of that was actually directed towards others. The high wages, expensive buildings in expensive locations across the financial sector are a indication of just how good they are at filtering off little bits here and there of other peoples money to very good collective effect.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 27th, 2024, 7:55 am

ukmtk wrote:In my SIPP I only hold a small amount of cash.
I normally use the generated dividends to buy more of what I'm currently buying.
I do this on a quarterly basis. I'm still saving monthly (V3AB).

Bluntly I invest to make money, not feel good, V3AB - excludes Johnson and Johnson, BRK, General Electric etc. because they make someone/somewhere feel uncomfortable. I see it includes Amazon, which given its history of workers abuse may not align with what you yourself may feel to be appropriate or not.

V3AB has a short history of just a couple of years or so, but over that time is lagging VWRP by 1.68%

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 27th, 2024, 8:28 am

Oggy wrote:Folks

All of my pension is in 2 SIPPS (HL and AJ Bell), distributed with Fundsmith, an S&P tracker and the rest in global trackers - Mainly Vanguard. Split is about 1/3 each. To mitigate against a possible crash I have around 2 to 3 years of annual costs in cash.

Apologies for perhaps repeating myself and risking the same answers but has anyone else adopted a broadly similar policy, and how do you feel about the risk in so doing?

Cheers

Sounds sensible, though in my case I have only carried around 18 months cash since retiring in 2010. Pension is paid from dividends and I'm all bar a small investment in IP monthly income plus, entirely equity invested.

Haven't yet found any anxiety creeping in and through each reverse in the market I grow more confident that if my scheme falls over, society will have much biger worries than I could cope with. I don't like years' worth of cash doing almost nothing, so I'd rather take the equity risk.

I could be blind or foolhardy, so it's a question of what suits your personality.

Arb.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » March 29th, 2024, 9:54 am

Oggy wrote:Folks

All of my pension is in 2 SIPPS (HL and AJ Bell), distributed with Fundsmith, an S&P tracker and the rest in global trackers - Mainly Vanguard. Split is about 1/3 each. To mitigate against a possible crash I have around 2 to 3 years of annual costs in cash.

Apologies for perhaps repeating myself and risking the same answers but has anyone else adopted a broadly similar policy, and how do you feel about the risk in so doing?

Cheers

Subjective, and more of a personal 'sleep well' preference.

State/occupational pensions might be considered as a form of index linked gilt ladder, that ends the day you die. "Bonds".

Own a home and home + imputed rent, and that might broadly be considered to be the same/similar to stock + dividends. "Equities".

Depending upon your asset allocation you may prefer to hold some cash for cash-flow purposes. At an extreme for instance if someone sold all their future pension income rights for a single lump sum, sold their home, invested the proceeds/everything into stocks along (100% stock), then there are risks that may present from that, such that having some cash to fall back upon might be considered as being wise.

One persons "I'm all in stock" often fail to also indicate that they own their own home and have state/occupational pensions in addition to that, where perhaps they might even be able to get by with just the pension income cash alone in times of difficulties.

Return to “Investment Strategies”