Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

European Stock Market Returns

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

European Stock Market Returns

Postby GeoffF100 » March 20th, 2024, 7:16 pm

Here is a good article from Monevator, "The contrasting fortunes of Britain’s European stock market rivals":

https://monevator.com/european-stock-market-returns/

A sobering tale.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Re: European Stock Market Returns

Postby 1nvest » March 22nd, 2024, 11:43 am

A recent jump in the price of gold, after the EU decides that its OK to redirect other (i.e. Russian) central banks money/assets. Euro down/gold up as other central banks become nervous about the integrity/safety of the Euro and sell/reduce exposure. The Euro is a odd currency, is the only one that is backed by/dependent upon nothing else other than the free movement of goods/services/capital/people. Not good in a world that is transitioning towards increased levels of mass migrations (global warming).

Idiotic governance isn't solely a UK thing.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 22nd, 2024, 12:23 pm

1nvest wrote:A recent jump in the price of gold, after the EU decides that its OK to redirect other (i.e. Russian) central banks money/assets. Euro down/gold up as other central banks become nervous about the integrity/safety of the Euro and sell/reduce exposure. The Euro is a odd currency, is the only one that is backed by/dependent upon nothing else other than the free movement of goods/services/capital/people. Not good in a world that is transitioning towards increased levels of mass migrations (global warming).

Idiotic governance isn't solely a UK thing.

Are you SURE that the EU has decided to take those Russian assets? I know that they have been talking about doing so and even talking of such shows just how much our governments respect property rights. However have they REALLY finally decided to help themselves? Can you provide a link?

I should say that I'd also question your contention that other fiat currencies are not dependent upon a balance of trade. I'd think that recent events with respect to the Egyptian pound and others might show that the EU is not alone in that regard.

Returning to the subject, the link is to an article by someone who is obviously only interested in index trackers. Who cares how well LVMH does? Unless it is an index, they are not interested. Worse, he draws conclusions about geographical areas, by stock market. Remind me, what part of the world does the Chillian miner Antofagesta operate in. Oh, that's right, London! ARM's operations are obviously mostly in New York!

OK, if we are to talk "market" returns, fair enough. But are not the S&P and Nazdaq in the same geographical area. What of the FTSE and AIM? Does it actually make ANY sense to compare any of these with any other and talk geography?

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » March 22nd, 2024, 12:47 pm

This explainer from Reuters I think puts it most clearly:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ho ... 024-03-21/

I guess you could argue that appropriating the profits is the first on a slippery slope to appropriating the assets on which those profits are made but the article suggests that given it is the former then it could be defended in court (and they're setting aside funds to cover that litigation)

EthicsGradient
Lemon Slice

Postby EthicsGradient » March 22nd, 2024, 12:55 pm

I can't see that this had any noticeable effect on the Euro, though - there was a significant drop, compared to the US dollar, from May 21 to Oct 22, from 1.22 to 0.98, but it recovered a bit and is now about 1.08 - about the average it's been over the past year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/ce2gz ... et=EUR-USD

Russian assets are a red herring in this thread.

Return to “Investment Strategies”