Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,johnhemming,Anonymous,Rhyd6,dredd0, for Donating to support the site

Electric Assist Conversion Kits

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Electric Assist Conversion Kits

Postby dspp » June 23rd, 2020, 4:35 pm

tea42 wrote:After my lifetime pal, a fellow engineering apprentice, fitted a conversion kit

https://www.bikester.co.uk/ortler-bozen ... 01047.html

t42,
Can I ask why conversion kit you bought, and why did you junk it please ?
regards,
dspp

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 23rd, 2020, 7:04 pm

It wasnt me, it was a pal who fitted the front wheel motor to his Raleigh. He found there were dangerous issues with torque steer, slippage and skidding ascending slippery or gravel hills. So, it wasnt a technical or quality problem with the kit, just the front wheel drive concept on that particular bike. I know people with FWD kits fitted and some realise their problems, others just accept the problems because its an inexpensive route to an ebike. I know several folk with Bafang bottom bracket mounted motors who really rate them.

servodude
Lemon Quarter

Postby servodude » June 24th, 2020, 2:08 am

Tried a friend's bafang equipped hybrid bike recently
- mid-drive motor (750W) and the bike came with a link to get a 250W decal from ebay
- it was bought assembled by a local dealer (who looks like he needs a new bottom bracket tool)
- needless to say it's been "liberated" form the legal speed constraint

It's fun I'll grant you that
- but you could feel the motor and battery get noticeably warm though
- and I think that the rest of the bike isn't up to the constant 50km that it will likely be subjected to

Certainly it felt easier to steer than a hub conversion I'd tried previously (due I'm guessing to the added weight being in the same line as mine)

In a different bracket I have tried another friend's Giant Trance E+ 3 Pro and the next time he lets me near it he'll have his job cut out trying to get it back

- sd

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » June 24th, 2020, 10:00 am

servodude wrote:Certainly it felt easier to steer than a hub conversion I'd tried previously (due I'm guessing to the added weight being in the same line as mine)

- sd

= It is likely primarily the torque steer issue, not the weight itself.

tea42 wrote:It wasnt me, it was a pal who fitted the front wheel motor to his Raleigh. He found there were dangerous issues with torque steer, slippage and skidding ascending slippery or gravel hills. So, it wasnt a technical or quality problem with the kit, just the front wheel drive concept on that particular bike. I know people with FWD kits fitted and some realise their problems, others just accept the problems because its an inexpensive route to an ebike. I know several folk with Bafang bottom bracket mounted motors who really rate them.

= Thank you t42, food for thought. Do you happen to know what motor rating (W) it was.

regards, dspp

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 24th, 2020, 11:52 am

The kit my friend had was Cyclotricity, it was a 250w motor. He says they are a very good company, helpful and easy to communicate with.

https://www.cyclotricity.com/uk/

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » June 24th, 2020, 12:43 pm

tea42 wrote:The kit my friend had was Cyclotricity, it was a 250w motor. He says they are a very good company, helpful and easy to communicate with.

https://www.cyclotricity.com/uk/

thanks, dspp

Return to “Cycling”