Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

World championship road races

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
cinelli
Lemon Slice

World championship road races

Postby cinelli » September 29th, 2018, 11:55 am

The world championship road races are on today and tomorrow. The BBC has excellent coverage of nearly all of these very long races – 162km for the women and 265km for the men.

Today, women, red button until 1430, BBC2 from 1400 to 1600.

Tomorrow for the men, red button 0835 to 1220, BBC2 1345 to 1630. Will Peter Sagan make it four in a row? The scenery around Innsbruck looks spectacular.

Cinelli

didds
Lemon Half

Re: World championship road races

Postby didds » October 1st, 2018, 11:10 am

SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!!
Well done Valverde.

didds

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 2nd, 2018, 10:30 am

didds wrote:SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!! SPOILER!!!
Well done Valverde.

He seemed quite pleased!

My my though, how brutal was that last climb? 28%? Did some at the back unclip and walk up? Not a day for the sprinters, he understates. When the likes of Dumolin are zig-zagging across the road to keep going, you know it's extreme. Probably done half deliberately so Sagan couldn't win another one.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 2nd, 2018, 11:22 am

Other than for personal pride, why would a pro that has had to walk up a 28% climb at the end of the race not just jump in the broom wagon? they aren't going to win it clearly, and its not a stage race requiring their presence tomorrow. they'll save their legs into the bargain.

Or is their some £££ for crossing the line that isn't there for sitting in a car being driven to the finish?

didds

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 2nd, 2018, 12:20 pm

didds wrote:Other than for personal pride, why would a pro that has had to walk up a 28% climb at the end of the race not just jump in the broom wagon? they aren't going to win it clearly, and its not a stage race requiring their presence tomorrow. they'll save their legs into the bargain.

Or is their some £££ for crossing the line that isn't there for sitting in a car being driven to the finish?

Pass. A was being facetious about getting off and walking, I expect pride wouldn't let them do that, even if they were going at walking pace.

I did see quite a few that were dropped by the main peloton drop out as they did a number of laps before the final lap diversion up the monster hill. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot would have to follow the course to get to the finish as otherwise they'd have no real idea where they were. I know they didn't have two way radios so there's no way to radio in for assistance. I'd guess many would get off and wait for a team car coming up from behind and flag them down. The actual broom wagon would be a last resort.

Of course, pride and bloody mindedness is probably pretty strong in elite cycling. Let's have a look...

188 starters of the men's elite road race, 53 finishers. So my take on that would be most that got to the last climb struggled over it, last place was only 10 minutes behind first. Most that were out of contention would have stepped off before the final climb, there's no shame in that.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 2nd, 2018, 1:16 pm

Indeed. If someone is that far behind they are useless to their team leader (if its even a team structure available) anyway.

didds

bombat

Postby bombat » October 6th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Other than for personal pride, why would a pro that has had to walk up a 28% climb at the end of the race not just jump in the broom wagon? they aren't going to win it clearly, and its not a stage race requiring their presence tomorrow. they'll save their legs into the bargain.

The 28% climb was in the last 10km. They've just ridden 250km at the sharp end of the World Championships. Why on earth would they give up at that point?

Even from a logistical perspective, waiting for the broom wagon would have taken them far longer than just cresting the hill and cruising the 6km or so to the finish line.

There's no money for the Worlds.

Indeed. If someone is that far behind they are useless to their team leader (if its even a team structure available) anyway.

Well, firstly, yes, it very much is a team structure - each nation has its protected riders (although it doesn't always necessarily work out when there are several big egos riding for the same country (although doesn't appear to have been an issue this year))

Secondly, the hill was in the last 10km. The time for helping team leaders was over - the French and Spanish team had delivered their protected riders perfectly at the bottom of the climb (Valverde, Bardet and Alaphilippe were pretty much invisible for the first 6 1/2 hours, which shows you how well those nations had done their jobs). At that point it was over to their leaders to deliver.

Return to “Cycling”