Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

My guilty secret(s)

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

My guilty secret(s)

Postby redsturgeon » November 5th, 2018, 9:24 am

OK I admit it, I have too many bikes, my current list is, in age order:

1990ish Ridgeback Liberte Metro Gents bike for the pub (no lock required)

1992 Specialized Rockhopper rigid MTB (my first MTB and unbreakable)

1993 Kona Cinder Cone Rigid MTB (with the great project 2 forks)

1999 Kona Muni Mula Hardtail MTB (The first Kona MTB with aluminium frame...read the name backwards)

2009 Kona Jake the Snake CycloCross (Nice tange steel frame, 105 groupset)

2010 Cube Peloton RoadBike ( Bought cheaply as a project, light aluminium frame and Tiagra groupset)

2012 Charge Grater rebuilt as a fixie.

2013 Cube Ltd Hardtail MTB ( great MTB with XTR groupset and Fox forks)

2014 Boardman Hybrid Pro ( Bought cheaply as a fast commuter)

2015 Boardman Road Bike (Ultegra spec, will be main road bike once I change the superhero 53/39 and 12-25 gear ratios)

In addition I bought and maintain for my son a Commencal Hybrid, a Genesis MTB and a Cannondale CAAD8.

And for Mrs RS a carbon fibre Speciaized Sirrus Pro and a carbon Trek Madone.

Do you think a have a problem?

John

Oh I forgot I also have a Marin Bear Valley I bought as a project to sell but haven't got round to finishing...

Oh and I still have an 1993 Specialized SportRock MTB I bought for my son a few years ago and can't bring myself to sell.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Re: My guilty secret(s)

Postby EssDeeAitch » November 5th, 2018, 9:49 am

redsturgeon wrote:OK I admit it, I have too many bikes............................................
Do you think a have a problem?

Problem? Not sure I catch your drift here.

Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

And if your partner is giving you stick, then please refer to Rule #5 - follow the link below.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 5th, 2018, 11:59 am

Ah, how the other half live.

The other half being, those with space to keep all that lot. And the security to know it's unlikely you'll be forced to move and could end up without the space. Even one bike is an issue with many places one might end up.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 6th, 2018, 9:01 am

ap8889 wrote:5 MTBs does seem like 4 more than necessary. Though it’s nice to hear of some classy old frames still going strong!

One thing that I have found to be very true as I settle into middle age is that the things that you own, end up owning you. Just keeping all those chains oiled and tyres pumped seems a pain in the butt, not to mention costing you physical space and mental capacity.

I am no paragon of minimalism here, I have a largely unused Canadian canoe decaying gently in the garden. What is the cost of keeping it? Well not only does it sit there reminding me I havent yet taken the upriver trip I planned to, so some nagging guilt there, also a broken wrist when I absentmindedly tripped over it one morning. If I just hired a canoe when I needed to I would probably be just as happy, and wouldn’t have to replace decaying wooden parts that the wet season has rotted. I also wouldn’t need a roof rack and whole bunch of other accoutrements I keep for the rare occasions I get on the water.

You can console yourself that a cycling habit is far better for you than most other habits.

Wise words.

John

jofc

Postby jofc » January 9th, 2019, 2:03 pm

I'm still trying to get round to freecycling:
My wifes old Mixte sports bike she has has since she was about 12 & has since been used by my son for CX & me as a spare bike to leave at work for lunchtime sojourns if the weather is nice.

My old road bike (I bought it from my brother when mine got nicked back in 1989/1990).
I never grew into it & replaced it with a 2nd hand 2008 model Genesis Vapour CX bike that I swear by.

And I need to sell on:
a 24" kids road bike - as used by my son in local club races
a 650c road bike - bought 2nd hand for daughter for same races - only to have venue removed the next season & the kids then stopped racing.

Return to “Cycling”