Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cycle rack

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
swill453
Lemon Half

Cycle rack

Postby swill453 » January 22nd, 2019, 6:56 pm

What type of cycle rack for a car would people recommend? I have a medium hatchback, no tow bar.

I'll only ever carry 2 bikes, and it would be good to be able to open the hatch while carrying the bikes. I guess this might mandate a roof rack?

Scott.

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Re: Cycle rack

Postby Hardgrafter » January 26th, 2019, 11:19 am

In the cycling groups I am a member of have observed that you only use roof racks if you have road bikes, which are generally only 7 to 12 kg in weight. Heavier off road bikes and certainly electric bikes are a no-no. Additionally you have to be absolutely careful that you don't enter a car park with a height restriction! But at least you can easily move the rack to another car.

So most use (especially the more elderly) use towbar racks. Easy to lift a 24kg electric bike onto one. Note that the ('nose') weight of tow bar plus bikes must not exceed 75kg with most cars. If you need access to the boot then either have a rack that's enough distance away from the hatch, or just use the rear doors. But the cost of fitting a tow bar is considerable, and you will also require a tailboard and lighting. But if you are going to do it regularly probably best bike carrying option.

The other option is a strapped on rack on the hatch. Cheap and easily moved from car to car. But I think only good for the occasional trip, and will require tailboard and lighting in most circumstances (as bikes obscure car rear).

You could change your car to an estate, or a bigger hatch back (like Skoda Octavia). You can fit one bike inside with wheels on, or two with front wheels removed. No luggage carrying of course!

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Cycle rack

Postby swill453 » March 3rd, 2019, 4:22 pm

To continue this with a specific question: is it possible to get a tailgate bike rack, for two bikes, that's reasonably securely lockable? I'm thinking there might be something that loops inside the hatch itself.

Scott.

Return to “Cycling”