Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Dawes Super Galaxy (Bike Nerd Warning)

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Dawes Super Galaxy (Bike Nerd Warning)

Postby redsturgeon » October 3rd, 2022, 1:52 pm

Bought one of these last week for £50. Well used and very grubby with some large patches of rust on the otherwise beautiful steel bronze coloured frame. A 1987 model, hand built in the UK by the fine craftsmen of Tysley in Birmingham. Hand welded from Reynolds 531 tubing that some still consider the finest bike frame material.

I stripped it down last week and all parts except bottom bracket, tyres and saddle were in a condition that will allow me to reuse them once cleaned and greased. All very high quality parts too. I could sell the pedals alone on eBay for the £50 I paid for the whole bike. All the rest of the parts being high end early Shimano products.

Looking at the state of the frame though it needed a total respray so I thought about stripping the old paint off, buying some rattle cans and doing it myself but decided against it. I considered my options, respray with automotive paint, stove enamel or powder coating. Decided on powder coating as the most durable, ecological and economic option. I found a local workshop that will do it for £70, bargain, considering they will degrease, shot blast and apply at least three coatings to the frame and forks.

So I took the bare frame along to this industrial unit in Aldershot and hoping they would know what they were doing and treat my frame with the care and attention I felt it deserved. My fears were allayed when I asked for Dave (who I'd had an email exchange with earlier that day) and was pointed towards a guy in a boiler suit in his 50s driving a forklift.

"Dave?" I asked looking in his direction.

" Yes", he replied. " Oh, a Dawes Super Galaxy!" he said looking at the collection of steel tubes in my hands.

He then regaled me for the next ten minutes with stories of always wanting one of those and how his best friend saved up his paper round and birthday money for two years to get one.

He took my details wrote then down on an A5 paper form along with my colour choice (bright red with a slight metallic finish), rolled up the form and stuffed it into the head tube of the frame.

I bade him farewell, secure in the knowledge that my frame was in safe hands.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Dawes Super Galaxy (Bike Nerd Warning)

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 3rd, 2022, 3:02 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Bought one of these last week for £50. Well used and very grubby with some large patches of rust on the otherwise beautiful steel bronze coloured frame. A 1987 model, hand built in the UK by the fine craftsmen of Tysley in Birmingham. Hand welded from Reynolds 531 tubing that some still consider the finest bike frame material.

I stripped it down last week and all parts except bottom bracket, tyres and saddle were in a condition that will allow me to reuse them once cleaned and greased. All very high quality parts too. I could sell the pedals alone on eBay for the £50 I paid for the whole bike. All the rest of the parts being high end early Shimano products.

Looking at the state of the frame though it needed a total respray so I thought about stripping the old paint off, buying some rattle cans and doing it myself but decided against it. I considered my options, respray with automotive paint, stove enamel or powder coating. Decided on powder coating as the most durable, ecological and economic option. I found a local workshop that will do it for £70, bargain, considering they will degrease, shot blast and apply at least three coatings to the frame and forks.

So I took the bare frame along to this industrial unit in Aldershot and hoping they would know what they were doing and treat my frame with the care and attention I felt it deserved. My fears were allayed when I asked for Dave (who I'd had an email exchange with earlier that day) and was pointed towards a guy in a boiler suit in his 50s driving a forklift.

"Dave?" I asked looking in his direction.

" Yes", he replied. " Oh, a Dawes Super Galaxy!" he said looking at the collection of steel tubes in my hands.

He then regaled me for the next ten minutes with stories of always wanting one of those and how his best friend saved up his paper round and birthday money for two years to get one.

He took my details wrote then down on an A5 paper form along with my colour choice (bright red with a slight metallic finish), rolled up the form and stuffed it into the head tube of the frame.

I bade him farewell, secure in the knowledge that my frame was in safe hands.

John

Before and after photgraphs required me thinks

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 3rd, 2022, 4:16 pm

Here she is.I had cleaned her before I took the photo though.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 3rd, 2022, 4:29 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Here she is.I had cleaned her before I took the photo though.

That's thoroughly mutilated. Super Galaxy is a tourer: it should at least have carrier rack and mudguards!

I note the change in style. My (later) Super Galaxy has a somewhat different geometry, with a slight slope to the top tube.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 3rd, 2022, 4:36 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Here she is.I had cleaned her before I took the photo though.

That's thoroughly mutilated. Super Galaxy is a tourer: it should at least have carrier rack and mudguards!

I note the change in style. My (later) Super Galaxy has a somewhat different geometry, with a slight slope to the top tube.

Patience, patience, the bloke I bought it from had been commuting on it and did not look after it at all. I have a rack and mudguards in my garage just waiting to be put into service. I even have some panniers but may treat her to a new set.

Her first real trial will be a trip around Brittany with my mate who has a Galaxy of similar vintage.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 8th, 2022, 11:28 am

The Galaxy frame is back, in fact I picked it up on Tuesday morning. The guys did a fantastic job.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 8th, 2022, 11:32 am

redsturgeon wrote:The Glaxy frame is back, in fact I picked it up on Tuesday morning. The guys did a fantastic job.

How is the paintwork protected as the bike is reassembled? Is it wrapped in bubble wrap or something similar?

AiY(D)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 8th, 2022, 11:38 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:The Glaxy frame is back, in fact I picked it up on Tuesday morning. The guys did a fantastic job.

How is the paintwork protected as the bike is reassembled? Is it wrapped in bubble wrap or something similar?

AiY(D)

Since it is powder coated it should be pretty tough so I will grip it in my workstand via the seat post and just be very careful not to drop a heavy spanner on it. Once assembled I will probably use helicopter tape to protect vulnerable areas where I may be strapping luggage or where chain slap or cable rub might occur.

At the moment I am awaiting a delivery of parts from SJS Cycles in Bridgewater who seem to have the best supply of parts for retro road bikes.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 8th, 2022, 11:45 am

redsturgeon wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

AiY(D)

Since it is powder coated it should be pretty tough so I will grip it in my workstand via the seat post and just be very careful not to drop a heavy spanner on it. Once assembled I will probably use helicopter tape to protect vulnerable areas where I may be strapping luggage or where chain slap or cable rub might occur.

At the moment I am awaiting a delivery of parts from SJS Cycles in Bridgewater who seem to have the best supply of parts for retro road bikes.

John

For something as boring as a bike (from my rather blinkered and poor perception) you've made this a very interesting subject. My cousin makes walking sticks and his work looks fantastic.

I'm [genuinely] looking forward to seeing this project develop. Are you replacing the wheels? I'm interested in how the "rusted" chrome is going to be dealt with? Or are the wheels staying as they are?

AiY(D)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 8th, 2022, 12:02 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
I'm [genuinely] looking forward to seeing this project develop. Are you replacing the wheels? I'm interested in how the "rusted" chrome is going to be dealt with? Or are the wheels staying as they are?

AiY(D)

I am looking at the wheels next week, I have re-greased the front wheel hub and all the ball bearings and cups were in good shape. I broke my old freewheel removing tool (those things can screw themselves on very tightly) so am awaiting a new tool to strip and service the rear hub. The rims are alloy so will polish up well. I want to keep the originals if I can, they are Maillard hubs but the Alesa rims may be a bit too worn on the braking surface to be usable so I may rebuild the hubs with new rims and spokes.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 8th, 2022, 12:26 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

AiY(D)

I am looking at the wheels next week, I have re-greased the front wheel hub and all the ball bearings and cups were in good shape. I broke my old freewheel removing tool (those things can screw themselves on very tightly) so am awaiting a new tool to strip and service the rear hub. The rims are alloy so will polish up well. I want to keep the originals if I can, they are Maillard hubs but the Alesa rims may be a bit too worn on the braking surface to be usable so I may rebuild the hubs with new rims and spokes.

John

Thank you

AiY(D)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 8th, 2022, 1:03 pm

redsturgeon wrote: I may rebuild the hubs with new rims and spokes.

That's the one thing I've never managed to get the hang of!
Tried twice and given up.

Have you done the forks to match?

How Retro are you keeping it?

I had a 501 framed steed of the same vintage for a while that I converted over the years with parts that made commuting easier (flat bar, pod shifting, direct pull breaks)
- it wasn't old enough at the time to be vintage
- might treat it differently if I had it now

-sd

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 8th, 2022, 1:16 pm

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote: I may rebuild the hubs with new rims and spokes.

That's the one thing I've never managed to get the hang of!
Tried twice and given up.

Have you done the forks to match?

How Retro are you keeping it?

I had a 501 framed steed of the same vintage for a while that I converted over the years with parts that made commuting easier (flat bar, pod shifting, direct pull breaks)
- it wasn't old enough at the time to be vintage
- might treat it differently if I had it now

-sd

Forks are matching.

I have rebuilt a couple of wheels before and it is fine if you take your time.

I have two plans regarding how original I will keep it.

It needed a new bottom bracket but I have sourced the same model as the one I removed. The headset bearings are fine so I will keep those. It needs new brake blocks, saddle, chain and possibly new freewheel and of course new cables but all of those could be considered to be consumable items. So in fact I will rebuild it in the first instance back to original spec.

I will then ride it locally for a few miles to see how it performs and how the ride compares to my more modern steeds. If it is significantly heavier, less comfortable and clunkier than I like, I have a cunning plan. I have a 2010 Kona cyclocross bike that runs a modern 10 speed Shimano 105 group set that I could swap across for any longer trips. Cheating maybe but at my age I need all the help and comfort I can get!

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 9th, 2022, 5:38 am

redsturgeon wrote:It needed a new bottom bracket but I have sourced the same model as the one I removed. The headset bearings are fine so I will keep those. It needs new brake blocks, saddle, chain and possibly new freewheel and of course new cables but all of those could be considered to be consumable items. So in fact I will rebuild it in the first instance back to original spec.

Sounds like a great plan.

I know they changed a lot over the years but the galaxy in my head was a 15sp - perfect for longer rides as you didn't need to uncessarily worry about being in the wrong gear (you'd know if you were ;) ).
The steel frames from then are really forgiving.

How did they go with the braze ons with the powder coat - is it easy enough to clean the thread?
Custom decals?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 9th, 2022, 11:10 am

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:It needed a new bottom bracket but I have sourced the same model as the one I removed. The headset bearings are fine so I will keep those. It needs new brake blocks, saddle, chain and possibly new freewheel and of course new cables but all of those could be considered to be consumable items. So in fact I will rebuild it in the first instance back to original spec.

How did they go with the braze ons with the powder coat - is it easy enough to clean the thread?
Custom decals?

I'll tell you next week when I've tried to bolt the bits on.

I do have a set of taps though if necessary.

They are supposed to have masked and used silicone bungs where necessary though.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 9th, 2022, 1:22 pm

servodude wrote:How did they go with the braze ons with the powder coat - is it easy enough to clean the thread?
Custom decals?
redsturgeon wrote:I'll tell you next week when I've tried to bolt the bits on.

I do have a set of taps though if necessary.

They are supposed to have masked and used silicone bungs where necessary though.

John

I was, very much tongue in cheek, going to ask if you proposed to fit a motor to your restored bicycle. A subliminal comment fermented in a poor sense of humour. However, it would appear that the joke is on me :oops: .

Dawes Super Galaxy, fitting an Easifit motor kit. Part One
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

I'm not inferring that you don't know how to restore your bike. But I found these video's too, which may help some of us looking in to understand some of the technical terms which have begun to appear. I am good with words like oil and wheel. But when headset bearings are mentioned I find myself in need of Google :lol:

Restoring the Galaxy - Rusty Bike Restoration - Part 1 The Strip Down!
Part 2 Paint & Parts Refurb!
Part 3 The BEST rebuild so far!

Well with all that said I think it's time for me to "get on my bike" :)

AiY(D)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 9th, 2022, 2:59 pm

All help and suggestions gratefully received, cogitated on and either adopted or discarded. :D

I had a little look at things today, not wanting to get into it full time but unable to resist seeing if a couple of the new parts that I bought fitted easily.

First new thing was the freewheel removal tool, fitted perfectly and the freewheel spun off as easily as any of them do (which is generally not that easily). Closer inspection of the rear wheel reveal a couple of not entirely unexpected problems. The freewheel is indeed not in good enough condition to salvage but as an expendable part will be replaced and they are not expensive.

The rim also shows signs of damage and as suspected has been worn down over the years to where it is too thin to be safe, the spokes are also rusty and need replacing. I could buy a new set of spokes and a new touring standard rim for about £30 and rebuild the hub, but I'm not convinced the hub is worth saving either, it OK but not wonderful. So I am leaning towards a new (perhaps second hand) wheel. I may see if I can find some Shimano Deore hubs with perhaps Mavic rims that would work well. I also have a selection of 700c wheels in my collection some of which might work.

So it looks like the thoughts of keeping it original are slipping away. Trigger's broom here we come!

The new bottom bracket (BB) I ordered will have to be returned though, it is a bit notchy and not up to standard for a new part.

BTW your suggestion of protecting the frame during the build has resonated with me and I will probably wrap it for safety while building it up.

More updates to follow.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 9th, 2022, 10:00 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
BTW your suggestion of protecting the frame during the build has resonated with me and I will probably wrap it for safety while building it up.

More updates to follow.

John

Could be a naff thought as I don't know if it would get in the way of the fittings but do you think pipe lagging would work?

I did think about the wheels. Is it possible to see if you can get some decent second hand ones from eBay or Gumtree? I suppose the issue with that is timing though.

AiY(D)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 10th, 2022, 12:45 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

More updates to follow.

John

Could be a naff thought as I don't know if it would get in the way of the fittings but do you think pipe lagging would work?

I did think about the wheels. Is it possible to see if you can get some decent second hand ones from eBay or Gumtree? I suppose the issue with that is timing though.

AiY(D)

Pipe lagging? It's not a BMX!

That said it would probably work - I've used split pool noodles before when I'd have 4 bikes lashed on the back of the car (easier than trying to keep them away from each other)
Powder coat is pretty tough though - but if you are serious about the helicopter tape do it first

I consider wheels consumables also.
If you decide now that you want to get new ones you'd probably be able to get them to drop in (with a freewheel and axles etc)
- simpler ... but you might want more of a project ?
Just make sure they're right for the brakes you're using (or vice versa ;) )

-sd

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 10th, 2022, 8:41 am

redsturgeon wrote:

More updates to follow.

John
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

AiY(D)
servodude wrote:
Pipe lagging? It's not a BMX!

That said it would probably work - I've used split pool noodles before when I'd have 4 bikes lashed on the back of the car (easier than trying to keep them away from each other)
Powder coat is pretty tough though - but if you are serious about the helicopter tape do it first

I consider wheels consumables also.
If you decide now that you want to get new ones you'd probably be able to get them to drop in (with a freewheel and axles etc)
- simpler ... but you might want more of a project ?
Just make sure they're right for the brakes you're using (or vice versa ;) )

-sd

Apprentice :lol:. The pipe lagging suggestion is using it temporary for protection from spanners dropping. And at the mere mention of the word spanner you can keep that thought "inside your head" :lol: . Working in the construction industry I'm never shocked to see the quantum of the the Magic Man's bill :) . I'm going to assert my "transferable skills " here too :P . I looked up the price of a new DSG. A staggering £1.1K. For that price I would definitely want a motor fitted and a full tank of something :lol: . But, in all seriousness does the cost of the bike restoration need to be considered? Or is this project at a different level? I know from speaking with others who enjoy bikes that they can spend serious wads on them. Carbon fibre. I did some work a few years ago for a gentleman who was worth about £300m. He'd spent £8K on a bike. Strewth I could get a car for less 8-)

That aside John referred to Triggers Broom and I have to say, and probably I shouldn't, I had thought the very same before John said it :oops:. At least I managed not to mention it before John 8-) . Who said you can't teach and old broom new tricks :lol:

I know from my teenage years that chrome is a difficult finish to keep clean. I have no idea but was it a production thing and has chrome manufacturing improved or was it just a gimmick invented by the "car salesman".

The thought of new wheels must be tempting though?

Monday morning and I'm awake reasonably early (for me), so perhaps the week is off to a great start for everyone else too.

Take care

AiY(D)

Return to “Cycling”