Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Magpie danger for Worlds

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
cinelli
Lemon Slice

Magpie danger for Worlds

Postby cinelli » September 20th, 2022, 10:07 pm

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Magpie danger for Worlds

Postby XFool » September 20th, 2022, 10:45 pm

cinelli wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/19/it-was-terrifying-swooping-magpies-cause-concern-for-elite-cyclists-at-world-championships

I heard this today on BBC radio, with an interview with an expert. They aren't "magpies", the early settlers called them that because they reminded them of magpies back home. They are Australia's biggest songbird and the attacks are territorial and come from a minority of male birds, during the breeding season I think.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Magpie danger for Worlds

Postby servodude » September 20th, 2022, 11:10 pm

XFool wrote:
cinelli wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/19/it-was-terrifying-swooping-magpies-cause-concern-for-elite-cyclists-at-world-championships

I heard this today on BBC radio, with an interview with an expert. They aren't "magpies", the early settlers called them that because they reminded them of magpies back home. They are Australia's biggest songbird and the attacks are territorial and come from a minority of male birds, during the breeding season I think.

I think the currawong (of the common songbirds) is a tad bigger
- and a lot less likely to try and knock you off a bike (but doesn't sound like modem dialing played on a recorder)

Weirdest thing about the swooping is that they pick their battles; if you are selected as a target they'll likely go for you day after day even if other folk are available (whether on a bike or not)
The traditional solution is to stick cable ties out of your helmet - or draw eyes on the top to intimidate them
- not sure it works though :(

-sd

Return to “Cycling”