Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dawes Super Galaxy (Bike Nerd Warning)

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Dawes Super Galaxy (Bike Nerd Warning)

Postby servodude » October 10th, 2022, 9:00 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:does the cost of the bike restoration need to be considered? Or is this project at a different level? I

Almost EVERYTHING on a pushbike wears out in use.
Whether through friction, abuse, or the elements.
...except for the frame.

And a Reynolds steel frame from way back will be as good as if not better than a frame since welding steel tubesets became a "niche and historical skill"

50quid for a galaxy - with all the bits!

That's like the "one that got away"...
.. but John bloody well caught the thing!

I've a mate who spent upwards of 600 AUD restoring a gents 3spd he paid a dollar for at a tip! Doubled his money selling it to a hipster - but it did have that third each way Sturmey hub with a weird number of spokes that made it a bit different

-sd

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 10th, 2022, 9:44 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Does the cost of the bike restoration need to be considered? Or is this project at a different level? I
servodude wrote:
Almost EVERYTHING on a pushbike wears out in use.
Whether through friction, abuse, or the elements.
...except for the frame.

-sd

Makes sense, of course :roll:

AiY(D)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 10th, 2022, 9:55 am

It's not the money but I expect to spend about £200 in total on a bike that will be better than that £1000+ 2021 Dawes Super Galaxy, built on a production line in Taiwan along with millions of other bikes but now discontinued and no longer available.

Last week I opened a wooden toolbox made by my father who died last year, I took out his Mitutoyo vernier caliper to measure the bearings on the DSG, and paused for a moment to reflect on times we had spent together over the years. I remember him showing me the toolbox about 5 years ago saying that he hoped I would take it when he was gone. It now sits in my workshop.

I imagine one day perhaps 40 years from now my own son might open that toolbox and take out a tool used by me in rebuilding the bike that he is just about to use for his own adventures. he will marvel at its classic clean lines and the quality of the materials used in its creation.

Perhaps he will conjure up a hint of admiration for the original workers, the salt of this country who brought it into being with a special thought for the old man who found it (stole it) in 2022 and brought it back to life for another 40 years.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 10th, 2022, 10:17 am

redsturgeon wrote:It's not the money but I expect to spend about £200 in total on a bike that will be better than that £1000+ 2021 Dawes Super Galaxy, built on a production line in Taiwan along with millions of other bikes but now discontinued and no longer available.

Last week I opened a wooden toolbox made by my father who died last year, I took out his Mitutoyo vernier caliper to measure the bearings on the DSG, and paused for a moment to reflect on times we had spent together over the years. I remember him showing me the toolbox about 5 years ago saying that he hoped I would take it when he was gone. It now sits in my workshop.

I imagine one day perhaps 40 years from now my own son might open that toolbox and take out a tool used by me in rebuilding the bike that he is just about to use for his own adventures. he will marvel at its classic clean lines and the quality of the materials used in its creation.

Perhaps he will conjure up a hint of admiration for the original workers, the salt of this country who brought it into being with a special thought for the old man who found it (stole it) in 2022 and brought it back to life for another 40 years.

John

Now you're getting soppy! ;)

But the bike to me is simply the pinnacle of classic engineering design
- there have been changes, "improvements" and stuff for sure
- but I could get on a bike from 150 years ago and know what to do
And I have done! (I'll exclude the Pedersen I tried once which was a bit of a shock :shock: )

Without them we wouldn't even have the idea of "standards" (looking at you ISO) on which most of modern "technical' life depends.

I've seen some brilliant reused steel frames - and I've a good friend who commutes on a French thing from the 60s with a proper suicide shifter (Front derailleur activated by a short lever not a cable!)

But yeah... 50quid ? It's not stealing if you bring it back to life :)

-sd

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 10th, 2022, 3:55 pm

servodude wrote:And I have done! (I'll exclude the Pedersen I tried once which was a bit of a shock :shock: )

-sd

A Pedersen, that's a rare and strange beast! Never seen one in the flesh and probably never will!

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 10th, 2022, 4:12 pm

redsturgeon wrote:It's not the money but I expect to spend about £200 in total on a bike that will be better than that £1000+ 2021 Dawes Super Galaxy, built on a production line in Taiwan along with millions of other bikes but now discontinued and no longer available.

John

I thought at first you were waxing lyrical about the toolbox. I have ridden a lot of miles on a bike but they were mostly at least 60 years ago.

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 10th, 2022, 4:30 pm

Dod101 wrote:

John

I thought at first you were waxing lyrical about the toolbox. I have ridden a lot of miles on a bike but they were mostly at least 60 years ago.

Dod

It is a fine piece of work too but my dad was no cabinet maker.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 10th, 2022, 9:59 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
servodude wrote:And I have done! (I'll exclude the Pedersen I tried once which was a bit of a shock :shock: )

-sd

A Pedersen, that's a rare and strange beast! Never seen one in the flesh and probably never will!

John

I stared in amazement at a gentleman (in full tweed) riding one round a busy roundabout in London about 10 years back.

I tried the one I rode at a community fair -- and came away with an understanding that they need careful adjustment for each rider :o

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2022, 9:15 am

Small but important step forward made yesterday. Fitted the new bottom bracket. The threads were not in the best shape and the BB did not want to start threading in straight and they are easy to cross thread or damage the threads leaving with two possible courses of action,

1. Get the threads recut at the bike shop (expensive)

2. Buy a threadless BB (not original)

I wanted to do neither so persisted by cleaning out the threads carefully with a small steel pick and then very slowly winding in the new BB going backwards and forwards to clear the thread with loads of lubrication. It worked and the BB is now installed. I am now waiting for a new headset since I decided to replace the existing with black cups (the visible part) with nice shiny chrome or alloy ones. Also going to pick up a donor bike today that may just have the perfect wheels to replace the existing ones.

I am not in a rush.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 11th, 2022, 11:38 am

redsturgeon wrote:Small but important step forward made yesterday. Fitted the new bottom bracket. The threads were not in the best shape and the BB did not want to start threading in straight and they are easy to cross thread or damage the threads leaving with two possible courses of action,

1. Get the threads recut at the bike shop (expensive)

2. Buy a threadless BB (not original)

I wanted to do neither so persisted by cleaning out the threads carefully with a small steel pick and then very slowly winding in the new BB going backwards and forwards to clear the thread with loads of lubrication. It worked and the BB is now installed. I am now waiting for a new headset since I decided to replace the existing with black cups (the visible part) with nice shiny chrome or alloy ones. Also going to pick up a donor bike today that may just have the perfect wheels to replace the existing ones.

I am not in a rush.

John

I'm not sure if I'm just jealous or vicariously sharing the satisfaction in what you're doing :)

When you said you had a set of taps I thought at the time "not to fit a bottom bracket you don't" ;)

But there's little down there that can't be solved with the right kind of wire brush and a pick
- and making sure that your parts have the correct pitch thread!

Have you picked out your accessories yet?

That red you've gone for could really suit hammered mud guards - polished silver might be too much but a blasted finish could look great!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2022, 12:22 pm

servodude wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm just jealous or vicariously sharing the satisfaction in what you're doing :)

When you said you had a set of taps I thought at the time "not to fit a bottom bracket you don't" ;)

But there's little down there that can't be solved with the right kind of wire brush and a pick
- and making sure that your parts have the correct pitch thread!

Have you picked out your accessories yet?

That red you've gone for could really suit hammered mud guards - polished silver might be too much but a blasted finish could look great!

I'm pleased there's at least a couple who appreciate the extreme nerdiness going on here!

Yes my taps were more to clear all the many M5 accessory threads but I think all but one are fine, the powder coater clearly did their silicone bunging and masking right! The only part I am concerned with now are the bosses for the downtube shifters but a quick sand should fix that.

I have fallen foul of the mysterious Italian threaded BB issue before so once bitten...

I have been pleasantly surprised by how tough the powder coating is and I'd certainly recommend it over both normal spray paint and stove enamel.

Accessories...I have a couple of TorTec aluminium racks that I will probably use front and back and have been looking at using canoe bags strapped to them rather than panniers which I've never really been a fan of since my big feet always seem to be clipping them at the heels. I like to travel light so a total of 30 litres will be plenty since I would not be camping.

As I mentioned I am not should of M5 mounting points so a couple of bottle cages and mudguards will be easy to fit...I will have a look at the hammered suggestion, not really aware of what you mean though. Certainly satin or matt finish would be my preference.

I am not a fan of electronic gizmos so will not be fitting fancy Garmins or the like. Also I would try to aoid travelling in the dark so lights will be emergency use only.

I will probably fit Schwalbe Marathons 700x35 since I have one already and I just hate punctures and am prepared to take the weight penalty to avoid them.

Back to work now, wheels today.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2022, 12:31 pm

Do you mean these SD?

https://freshtripe.co.uk/velo-orange-70 ... mudguards/

They are a thing of beauty but they cost more than the bike! ;)

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 11th, 2022, 12:39 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Do you mean these SD?

https://freshtripe.co.uk/velo-orange-70 ... mudguards/

They are a thing of beauty but they cost more than the bike! ;)

John

...and now you know they exist! ;)

They do look really really good on - especially if you get a finish that suits the rest of the kit out (sometimes matt is better than chromed)
- gives a bit of texture contrast against a smooth solid powder coat or 2-pac

-sd

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » October 11th, 2022, 1:34 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
I'm pleased there's at least a couple who appreciate the extreme nerdiness going on here!

I will probably fit Schwalbe Marathons 700x35 since I have one already and I just hate punctures and am prepared to take the weight penalty to avoid them.

John

I'm watching this thread with interest, also!

Btw, did you mean 700x35 for the tyres, that's like cyclo cross type size? I have a pair of 700x25 Marathons you could have (I put them on a leisure bike in an overreaction to getting a couple of punctures once, but have since replaced with Conti 4 seasons), but they are 600g+ each!

cheers, BigB

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2022, 1:39 pm

BigB wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

I'm watching this thread with interest, also!

Btw, did you mean 700x35 for the tyres, that's like cyclo cross type size? I have a pair of 700x25 Marathons you could have (I put them on a leisure bike in an overreaction to getting a couple of punctures once, but have since replaced with Conti 4 seasons), but they are 600g+ each!

cheers, BigB

Hi, that is a very kind offer...I bet you never had a puncture with them. Yes I did mean 35mm I run my road bikes on 28mm Zaffiros and would not go lower than that for road riding, however riding fully loaded on a tourer with myself at 90kg+ and luggage another maybe 15kg I think 35mm would be about right.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2022, 5:03 pm

I said I was sorting the wheels today, here they are...they just happen to be attached to another bike.
Found this yesterday being sold by a 70 year old who bought it new in 1987, the same year as my Galaxy was made...in the same factory...with the same wheels, only these are in much much better condition. And the best bit, the whole bike cost me £10, and he insisted I took his bike tools, pump and a can of GT spray too. He was very apologetic about the front tyre being punctured but I said it was fine.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 11th, 2022, 5:16 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I said I was sorting the wheels today, here they are...they just happen to be attached to another bike.
Found this yesterday being sold by a 70 year old who bought it new in 1987, the same year as my Galaxy was made...in the same factory...with the same wheels, only these are in much much better condition. And the best bit, the whole bike cost me £10, and he insisted I took his bike tools, pump and a can of GT spray too. He was very apologetic about the front tyre being punctured but I said it was fine.

I hope you resell the frame for £20 :lol:

What about the brakes and all the other shimy gear thingy's are they any use?

AiY(D)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2022, 6:21 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I said I was sorting the wheels today, here they are...they just happen to be attached to another bike.

AiY(D)

I probably have a more modern wheel set I can put on it and sell it on.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 12th, 2022, 4:52 am

redsturgeon wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

AiY(D)

John

...with fewer spokes I'd imagine. Are those both 40?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 12th, 2022, 8:29 am

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

AiY(D)

John

...with fewer spokes I'd imagine. Are those both 40?

These are 36 spoke and most of the modern ones I have are 32 or fewer.

In answer to AiY's earlier question, the donor bike has a good frame and wheels, I think it is a 501 rather than 531 though but the brakes, gears and shifters are definitely bargain basement compared to the Super Galaxy. Much more worth as a complete bike, it would be a solid station or pub bike for someone for £25.

John

Return to “Cycling”