Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Bike racks now being sawn in two

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Bike racks now being sawn in two

Postby ursaminortaur » May 20th, 2023, 12:17 pm

Thieves now appear to be resorting to using angle grinders to cut through cycle racks.

https://road.cc/content/news/railway-says-no-bikes-stolen-after-cycle-rack-cut-two-301353

While bike thieves have commonly used angle grinders to cut through locks, we reported earlier this year that in London they now appear to be resorting to cutting through entire racks, a practice which seems to have already spread to Bristol and Bath.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bike racks now being sawn in two

Postby DrFfybes » May 20th, 2023, 12:42 pm

Probably easier and quicker than to attack the lock - a nice stable piece of metal to grind.

A few years ago a cycle place insisted on locking bikes bearing adverts for their business to lamp columns. We had complaints they were a trip hazard, asked them nicely not to, and also pointed out that if we needed to access the column door for any electrical work/maintenance/LED replacement scheme we would have to cut them off.

"Those locks are quite hard to get through" was their reply
"I'll bet the bike frame isn't" I said.

The practice stopped quite quickly.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 20th, 2023, 12:59 pm

Yeah, I'd think the bike rack is softer Steel than the lock as well.

These battery powered angle grinders are really powerful these days. A thief doesn't need much more than one of them to wreak havoc on your stuff. Bike racks, Catalytic converters, door locks, steel fences, cash machines....

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 20th, 2023, 10:31 pm

DrFfybes wrote:"Those locks are quite hard to get through" was their reply

Hmmm ...

And if a car parks where it blocks my legitimate access to something, I should be able to send it away to get crushed, and charge the bill to the owner.

Not sure a court would see it that way. Nor how your scenario is any different. Though the world might be a better place if that routinely happened to cars parked on pavements, bus or bike lanes, etc.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 21st, 2023, 2:07 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Hmmm ...

And if a car parks where it blocks my legitimate access to something, I should be able to send it away to get crushed, and charge the bill to the owner.

Not sure a court would see it that way. Nor how your scenario is any different.

Lantern hanging from the bracket, or cover hanging off, both quite common. Failed beacon on a crossing or crossing point illumination, statutory illumination for a statuory sign, all are classed as "emergency attends" and need access to remove the door to isolate the supply before repairing.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 21st, 2023, 2:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Hmmm ...

Not sure a court would see it that way. Nor how your scenario is any different. Though the world might be a better place if that routinely happened to cars parked on pavements, bus or bike lanes, etc.

Alternatively put your own lock on the bike? :D

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 21st, 2023, 10:01 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Hmmm ...

Not sure a court would see it that way. Nor how your scenario is any different.

Lantern hanging from the bracket, or cover hanging off, both quite common. Failed beacon on a crossing or crossing point illumination, statutory illumination for a statuory sign, all are classed as "emergency attends" and need access to remove the door to isolate the supply before repairing.

Talking of emergency attends ...

Once upon a time, I had occasion to call 999. There was a fire nearby, spreading rapidly over creosoted fences, along with whatever vegetation there was. The fire made not just the local news, but also featured in election leaflets (how good the emergency services were) afterwards.

Fire engines couldn't get access to where they really needed to be past the parked cars. But they couldn't (legally) remove the cars, they had to jump through hoops and bring in extra emergency equipment instead.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 22nd, 2023, 9:48 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

Talking of emergency attends ...

Once upon a time, I had occasion to call 999. There was a fire nearby, spreading rapidly over creosoted fences, along with whatever vegetation there was. The fire made not just the local news, but also featured in election leaflets (how good the emergency services were) afterwards.

Fire engines couldn't get access to where they really needed to be past the parked cars. But they couldn't (legally) remove the cars, they had to jump through hoops and bring in extra emergency equipment instead.

Fire engines couldn't get access to where they really needed to be past the parked cars. But they couldn't (legally) remove the cars,

Now that is one of the most absurd things I've heard for ages! Emergency services should have the right to remove whatever is in their way!

Steve

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 22nd, 2023, 10:54 am

stevensfo wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Talking of emergency attends ...

Fire engines couldn't get access to where they really needed to be past the parked cars. But they couldn't (legally) remove the cars,

Now that is one of the most absurd things I've heard for ages! Emergency services should have the right to remove whatever is in their way!

Steve

Well, they perhaps could've got cars towed away, provided that could be done without damaging them.

But that would have taken much longer than bringing in the extra fire-fighting equipment.

Return to “Cycling”