Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Books You Read in One Day - What a Pageturner!

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Books You Read in One Day - What a Pageturner!

Postby servodude » February 20th, 2022, 11:57 pm

gryffron wrote:My recommendation, Alfred Bester. Demolished Man and The Stars my Destination. Written in the 50s but timeless sci-fi.

Almost all of the "classic" sci-fi of that era are cracking one sitting books; The Stars my Destination (or "Tiger! Tiger!" ) was always a stand out (and has aged really well)
I'd rate "I am Legend" by Matheson similarly - it's so good they keep screwing up film adaptations :(

- sd

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » February 21st, 2022, 10:16 am

servodude wrote:I'd rate "I am Legend" by Matheson similarly - it's so good they keep screwing up film adaptations :(

Agree completely on both points.

Orion Publishing issued a SF Masterworks series of 24 (30?) Best early SF books. I worked my way through all of them. Have to say many had aged horribly. The technology they predicted for the far distant future happened about 1985 and was already obsolete by the time I read the book. Which sort of ruins them. But the 3 we mentioned above are timeless.

Starship Troopers is another good book but terrible film. One of the few "tech" sci-fis which still reads as futuristic (so far)

Gryff

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » April 15th, 2022, 12:57 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Walter J. Williams "Hardwired" (the Cyberpunk novel IMHO, especially since it heavily influenced the role playing game). William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy is another quick Cyberpunk read, though not as good as Hardwired.

Only just discovered William Gibson.
Started with his 'Blue Ant trilogy' or 'Bigend Trilogy'. Nothing to do with a car engine. One of the characters is Belgian and called Hubertus Bigend (pronounced Be-jahhn)
I did Pattern Recognition in 2 days and Spook Country in another.
Just about to start Zero History.

Gibson's way with the English language and his observations and asides are sublime.

elephanthunt11
Lemon Pip

Postby elephanthunt11 » July 30th, 2022, 9:15 pm

The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth

Set in the 60s, a journalist hunts down a former nazi kommandant in charge of the Riga ghetto.

Dbeckwith

Postby Dbeckwith » September 14th, 2022, 7:01 am

Gerry557 wrote:I suppose there are so many books that might be in that category it can be hard to find. Often you start and it either hooks you or it doesn't.

Often you pick up a book and it unexpectedly drags you in.

I found that after being handed one of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child whilst sat around the pool on holiday. It makes it easier having the time available.

Since then I've looked forward to having more, there are 20+. Even booking holidays after the publication of new ones so as to have a free day.

I have others that I'm still half way through errr two years ago when I started. I suppose if you get to know a particular author great.

I don't know if the downside of kindles is, just not seeing a front cover picture that makes you look a little further.

Which reminds me I still have a Reacher not started but it's Lee Childs brother that has taken over and comments online suggesting it not as good.

Ill let you know if it's a oner if I ever get it started. I hope it is

If you are a Jack Reacher fan, then can I recommend authors Zoe Sharpe and Rob Aspinall

Return to “Books and Reading”