Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Suggested reading list for quarantine

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Suggested reading list for quarantine

Postby redsturgeon » March 23rd, 2020, 11:00 am

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Suggested reading list for quarantine

Postby Dod101 » March 23rd, 2020, 11:04 am

I have a copy somewhere which I got when it was published but try as I might, I have never managed to get even half way through it, appropriate though its title may be.

A better choice if Proust I think.

Dod

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » March 26th, 2020, 4:05 pm

"Much Ado about Nothing"

If one is taking an optimistic view of how this all develops out.

or

"Lord of the Flies"

If one takes a very gloomy view about the eventual end game

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 26th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Didn't someone suggest Stephen King's The Stand somewhere else?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 26th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Just about to post "The Stand" ....
Or a good time to plough through some of the classics I've never got round to (Austen, Dickens, Proust, Guy N Smith...)

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 26th, 2020, 4:18 pm

If you like science fiction 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson.

RC

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 26th, 2020, 11:41 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:If you like science fiction 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson.

RC

If you like science fiction anything by William Gibson.

Possibly also a good time to get into the John Brunner near future dystopian stuff if you don't know them (or haven't for a while)

- Stand on Zanzibar
- Sheep Look Up
- Shockwave Rider
- Jagged Orbit

They've dated a bit but i find them really enjoyable reads and still very prescient

BBC ran a bit on him last year: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201905 ... cted-today

- sd

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » April 1st, 2020, 4:15 pm

Frank Herbert's Dune is an odd one, very hard to get into, extremely good if you can. Has not aged too badly as part of the premis is that computers are banned so the technology holds up well.

Where the technology does not hold up is in Tiger Tiger (The stars my destination in other parts of the world) by Alfred Bester. This is not a problem because the rest of the book is a delight. Have you ever wondered by the Tomorrow People teleported by Jaunting?

For sheer non stop breathless silliness, Harry Harrison's Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers goes far beyond anything else I think I have ever read.

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke is likely dated in places but the calm professional exploration of the giant spaceship holds up. I can also recommend the City and the Stars for the first act at least.

To my regret, one book I saw and didn't buy at the time was David Weber's on Basilisk Station. I eventually read it about 20 years later and if there's one thing he does best it's a space battle or two. Recommended, but you need to stick with it for a bit as he has to explain an awful lot about how the spaceships work before it gets going. Once it does get moving, it keeps up the pace with a vengance.

If you've not seen the film Jack Reacher, the Lee Child's One Shot is regarded as one of the better ones. I was lucky enough to read the book before seeing the film which has mixed reviews. While not the most interesting in the series, Echo Burning is set in Texas and I found the descriptions and the sense of heat make it a worthwhile read.

B.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 2nd, 2020, 11:04 pm

PrincessB wrote:If you've not seen the film Jack Reacher, the Lee Child's One Shot is regarded as one of the better ones. I was lucky enough to read the book before seeing the film which has mixed reviews. While not the most interesting in the series, Echo Burning is set in Texas and I found the descriptions and the sense of heat make it a worthwhile read.

B.

If you like a real sense of place (and heat) James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels take some beating - set in Louisiana (New Iberia and 'Noo Orlins')
The best of the bunch that I've read is "In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead"

Return to “Books and Reading”