Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Economist Style Guide

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

The Economist Style Guide

Postby bungeejumper » April 7th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Of more interest to writers than to readers, probably, but this one's a bit of a bargain for ten quid. The ESG is the de facto editorial standard for Sunday Times, Guardian, Telegraph, Financial Times, etc. You probably read ESG writing so often that you don't even notice how hard it is to write like that. (Until you try it yourself. :D )

My old copy is so ancient that it hardly even deals with the finer points of online writing, but I'd be pretty sure that this one has the whole thing nailed down. A cracking good manual on how to organise your thoughts and write simple clear prose on even technical subjects.

https://ukshop.economist.com/products/t ... ernational

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: The Economist Style Guide

Postby Dod101 » April 7th, 2020, 12:40 pm

I endorse all you say. My edition is dated 1986 and it is used regularly enough to be within hand's reach of my desk together with the Thesaurus and Chambers 20th Century Dictionary and Brewer's Phrase and Fable. These make up my literary reference books.

Dod

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Economist Style Guide

Postby absolutezero » April 7th, 2020, 8:44 pm

I do hope it contains a chapter on how to be wrong all the time.
The Economist is often used as a contrarian indicator - if it says something on the cover, do the opposite and you'll probably be alright!

Though you are right. I have written articles for several newspapers (including some you mentioned there) and getting the style right is not as easy as you might think.

Return to “Books and Reading”