Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Moneyworld

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Moneyworld

Postby stevensfo » December 7th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Has anyone read this book, recommended on the Monevator site? I downloaded it onto my Kindle and the two shocking messages are that not only are ministers and businessmen in the poorest countries siphoning off billions to offshore banks (which everyone knows) or how many London properties are owned anonymously (which everyone knows), but how laws, accountants and lawyers in the UK and USA are protecting all this and making it difficult for any prosecutions to even start, let alone reach a conclusion.

What struck a chord with me was how most things these days depends on what is being 'pushed' by the tabloids. So that if a potential criminal act is suddenly not being discussed in the tabloids, then it mysteriously disappears. The richest and most corrupt people hang onto their gains by keeping their mouths firmly shut and a low profile. With their mouths shut, the press is limited in what they can publish. c.f. Cummings and Prince Andrew.

I had no idea how easy it was to register a Ltd company, followed by another company that owns the first one, then a third, with directors swapping roles, then register in a safe offshore haven that has strict privacy laws.

Worth a read.

Steve

Return to “Books and Reading”