Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Code Breaker

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Dod101
The full Lemon

The Code Breaker

Postby Dod101 » March 27th, 2021, 7:47 am

This title sounds like a book on Bletchley Park but the title in fact refers to our genetic code. This is the most amazing non fiction book I have read for a long time. It is in part a biography of Jennifer Doudna, an American biochemist who last October with her collaborator, Emmanuelle Charpentier, won a Nobel prize for her work on human gene editing, building of course on the work on DNA and RNA since the discovery of the structure of DNA by Watson and Crick in the 1950s, and part an enquiry of the ethics of 'interfering with nature' now that we can have designer babies.

It contains an up to date comment on the Covid vaccines and the work that she with others are doing on Covid.

The author is a US writer, Walter Isaacson, who writes in that flowing relaxed way that some US writers have and so its 500 or so pages, whilst long and detailed, are not a difficult read, although I will reread parts of it again quite soon.

I thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested in this subject, and who could not be? It is our future we are considering.

Dod

Return to “Books and Reading”