Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Books and the weather...

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Books and the weather...

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 12th, 2022, 3:35 pm

Perhaps I'm odd, but I find certain books suit certain seasons/weather
I'm not talking about 'Christmas' books etc, just those that seem to be made for reading when the weather is right...
During the current mini heatwave I'm catching up on James Lee Burke's 'Dave Robicheaux' series, set in Lousiana (mainly New Orleans/New Iberia)
The weather (and food, and flora) play a big part in the stories

Is it just me ? Reading 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' (set Autumn/early winter) or 'Ice Station Zebra' would just feel wrong...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Books and the weather...

Postby Dod101 » July 12th, 2022, 3:54 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Perhaps I'm odd, but I find certain books suit certain seasons/weather
I'm not talking about 'Christmas' books etc, just those that seem to be made for reading when the weather is right...
During the current mini heatwave I'm catching up on James Lee Burke's 'Dave Robicheaux' series, set in Lousiana (mainly New Orleans/New Iberia)
The weather (and food, and flora) play a big part in the stories

Is it just me ? Reading 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' (set Autumn/early winter) or 'Ice Station Zebra' would just feel wrong...

I think you may be right. I had not thought of that. My late wife was a great fan of James lee Burke and I read a few of the Robicheaux series. Yes a good read for now. I may even have one or two of them somewhere.

Dod

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 12th, 2022, 3:59 pm

They are very good - inevitably with a long series some are better than others and he has, apparently, 'gone off the rails' a bit recently with metaphysical/science fiction elements (he is gettin' on a bit to be fair)
If I had to recommend one, it would be the excellently-named "In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead"

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 12th, 2022, 8:22 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:They are very good - inevitably with a long series some are better than others and he has, apparently, 'gone off the rails' a bit recently with metaphysical/science fiction elements (he is gettin' on a bit to be fair)
If I had to recommend one, it would be the excellently-named "In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead"

Thanks. I will get that book. I read a lot anyway and am always looking for books.

Dod

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 17th, 2022, 10:56 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Perhaps I'm odd, but I find certain books suit certain seasons/weather

Yes I have thought this too. Fowles The Magus is a book I find best read in blistering heat, being set in Greece as it is. Taking that away with me next week.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 18th, 2022, 1:21 pm

Yes, read that one many years ago - it would be a 'good fit'

Haven't read any Fowles for ages - last one was The Ebony Tower , or possibly Wormholes

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » July 30th, 2022, 1:31 pm

The reference to John Fowles reminds me of when I was intrigued by the number of people who took photos of a small block of flats that I had just moved into in Hampstead some 40 years ago. After a number of these occasions, I went out and asked an American tourist why he was taking photos and he said that's where JF wrote the Collector.

Incidentally there was no cellar in the building.

T7

Golam
Lemon Pip

Postby Golam » July 30th, 2022, 2:11 pm

Fiction, indoor winter reading, non fiction conservatory summer reading. That's my seasonal habit.
I find hard copy so much more readable than screen material. Even more so when the content is of importance.

Of particular interest is an item in today's Financial Times. ' How to regain the habit of deep reading' by Nilanjana Roy. I resonate with the message within this item.

Return to “Books and Reading”