Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Do you remember books?

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
cinelli
Lemon Slice

Do you remember books?

Postby cinelli » March 27th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Do you remember books? I am rather ashamed to write that I have just finished a book by a very well regarded author and, on adding its name to my list of books read, have found that I had already read it. Admittedly it was 30 years ago but, and this is the point, I didn’t remember a single thing about it. Do you remember books, plots, characters?

And that’s another question: do you keep a list of books you have read? The reason I do it is that, occasionally when I am looking to choose a new book to read, I look back on my list and say, “I enjoyed that – I must try another by him/her”.

Cinelli

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Do you remember books?

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 27th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Oh yes, have bought books I already own - but 90% come from charity shops anyway, so no great loss. Plus I recycle the paperbacks back to charity shops so I'm never quite sure what I've still got in a pile somewhere. One day I'll get organised (or my executor will organise stuff for me...)
I can usually remember if I've read something after the first chapter or so - if I cant remember it it's effectively 'new' anyway!

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 27th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Mostly, I remember those that I've read and I can usually remind myself as I probably still have them, if I bought them. Though there are quite a few that came from the library and so don't have them.

But, because I mostly keep books, no I don't keep a list. And even if I had kept one it would take quite a while to find any given book in it, given the numbers involved.

I have bought books more than once, by mistake, but only where they have been re-released under a different name.

But I can't claim to always remember books as I have just started reading Arthur C Clarke's Earthlight which I know I've read, but have almost no recollection of. Perhaps it will come back to me when I get past chapter 2.

Slarti

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 28th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Slarti wrote:But, because I mostly keep books, no I don't keep a list. And even if I had kept one it would take quite a while to find any given book in it, given the numbers involved.

This is the reason that I mostly buy eBooks now. It's easy to keep 100's (693 at present) of eBooks and searching the "stacks" is quick as the blink of an eye. That said I do sometimes buy books that I previously bought/read quite deliberately to re-read them. Especially if culling my paper books shelves.

BTW I use calibre to store, index and make them available by Wi-Fi at home. It will even convert formats so that I can read on either Kindle or Kobo (though DRM is an issue).

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 28th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
Slarti wrote:But, because I mostly keep books, no I don't keep a list. And even if I had kept one it would take quite a while to find any given book in it, given the numbers involved.

This is the reason that I mostly buy eBooks now. It's easy to keep 100's (693 at present) of eBooks and searching the "stacks" is quick as the blink of an eye. That said I do sometimes buy books that I previously bought/read quite deliberately to re-read them. Especially if culling my paper books shelves.

BTW I use calibre to store, index and make them available by Wi-Fi at home. It will even convert formats so that I can read on either Kindle or Kobo (though DRM is an issue).

I have eBooks, mostly for travel, but if I like the book then I buy a physical copy, if I can. That is probably why I have well over 10k of them.

eBooks just can't match up to the look, feel and smell of a book and I find that they give greater pleasure than an eBook. For a start it is easier to skip back a few pages, or more, to check if your memory is letting you down.

Slarti

Sblake

Postby Sblake » March 28th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Nope - only books I remember were ones I had to read at school then watched film - e.g. Lord of Flies.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 28th, 2017, 8:58 pm

Slarti wrote:eBooks just can't match up to the look, feel and smell of a book and I find that they give greater pleasure than an eBook.

I have a different opinion, but know many who would totaly agree with you.

Slarti wrote:For a start it is easier to skip back a few pages, or more, to check if your memory is letting you down.

Ah, in that I totaly disagree. It's many years ago, but I needed a quote from The Prince. It was a simple matter to search the eBook. Indeed I was able to go further and cut the quote out to post it rather than type it.
If you are using a reference book there may be only so much that can exist on one page, or it may refer back to a earlier chapter. Using multiple monitors and the book open more than once it's easily possible to have different pages of the same book available to read at the same time.
If you want (and know what you are doing) you can edit the book insering hot links or compiling cross reference tables rather than highlighting or noteing page numbers.
Even, for your own purposes, combine sections of different books together for easy reference.

I have an eBook (rather than paper book) with my personal kitchen recipys (not offered for publication). It just made so much sense to me to be able to carry my recipys with me in the early days of PDA's. These days I can just copy a recipy from it to a friend or work mate with a couple of clicks, and since they are not photocopys of other peoples recipy books, quite legaly.

Still if you prefer paper books I can't fault you for taking joy in the fact.

For those who do keep both paper books and records of what they have read then can I recomend Alexandria.
I don't use it because I've moved on to ebooks. But when I did, it seemed great.
http://alexandria.rubyforge.org/

10k is a lot of books, I had about 8k, which need a lot of space. I culled my paper books down to about 1-2k when ebooks came on the scene. There are some that simply can not be obtained anymore in paper form and never made it to digital. The others I'll buy again in eBook form if I want to re-read them.

BTW how do you organise your stacks* when you have series that have multiple authors to make it easy to find a book? Ie The Hairs of Alexandria series which had three authors but was a series? Do you order by author or group by series. With Calibre I automatically do both and also by genre and sub-genre ie indian-cookery.

LAST 2p worth. Paper books can be a joy, but eBooks have huge advantages.

*Stacks: Traditionally bound books were stacked, not put on shelves. Conservetors go to huge lengths to enable individual books to safely sit on shelves. Without such work the weight of an old book will over time rip it from its binding. Only the binding is normaly supported on a shelf with the bulk of the book hanging from it. Of course this is less of a problem if the book can be replaced with ease, after all is it not the content rather than the object that is important in that case?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 29th, 2017, 9:48 am

I love physical books - my favourite reading time is in bed before 'lights out', and there's no way i could curl up with an eBook...
They do have their uses though - my friend is an IT person and he keeps technical manuals on his Kindle - easy to transport and search. They are also useful for train journeys, holidays etc - better than having nothing to read !
My books are split between home and temporary rented accom at the moment. When I do shelve them they end up alphabetical by author , then subdivided into fiction/non fiction, with the fiction chronological and the non fiction by theme. So, Len Deighton gets Ipcress > Charity followed by cookbooks, military history.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 30th, 2017, 11:15 am

Urbandreamer wrote:BTW how do you organise your stacks* when you have series that have multiple authors to make it easy to find a book? Ie The Hairs of Alexandria series which had three authors but was a series? Do you order by author or group by series. With Calibre I automatically do both and also by genre and sub-genre ie indian-cookery.

LAST 2p worth. Paper books can be a joy, but eBooks have huge advantages.

For series with multiple authors, I start by placing them under the original author and then if someone else joins in I just follow on with the series. Only ones I can think of where that applies are some of the books set in David Webber's "Honourverse" where he has written most of the main series, but other SF writers have taken side trips with some of the minor characters.

For me the only advantage of eBooks is that I can put a library in my pocket when travelling.

Oh, and 95% of my books are fiction, reference works are mostly electronic.

Slarti

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 30th, 2017, 11:29 am

Only ones I can think of where that applies are some of the books set in David Webber's "Honourverse"
The most famous continuation novels are the James Bond ones - Amis, Gardner,Benson etc. In this case I ignore the author and stick them on the end of the original series in publication order.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 30th, 2017, 11:49 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Only ones I can think of where that applies are some of the books set in David Webber's "Honourverse"
The most famous continuation novels are the James Bond ones - Amis, Gardner,Benson etc. In this case I ignore the author and stick them on the end of the original series in publication order.

I should have said, only ones that I own where that applies :D

I did try the Amis Bond and was so impressed I gave it to my parents and they, book hoarders also, gave it to a jumble sale.

Slarti

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 30th, 2017, 11:58 am

It's not good (and I'm normally an Amis 'fan')
the only half-decent continuation one I've read is Devil May Care (S Faulks)

TopOnePercent
Lemon Slice

Postby TopOnePercent » April 5th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Most books I buy these days are special deals on the Kindle. Even then, Amazon has politely declined to sell me another copy of a digital book I already own so many times I'm thinking I'm senile. I've unintentionally read a number of dead tree books twice, but the way I look at it is that if I can't remember it before I get far into it, then re-reading it should be enjoyable enough.

Most fiction books are things I read to pass time and relax. I tend to recall very little of them a short while after I've read it. Things I've studied and not used I remember for a little longer but not for long. Things I've studied and applied I recall for a long time.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 6th, 2017, 7:00 am

TopOnePercent wrote:Most fiction books are things I read to pass time and relax.

I read a lot or listen to talking books, but so much so that it can't be said to "pass time". Indeed I need to find time.

TopOnePercent wrote: I tend to recall very little of them a short while after I've read it. Things I've studied and not used I remember for a little longer but not for long.

That may be a choice of genre or dictated by why you read fiction. "Hard" science fiction takes scientific concepts and wraps a story around them while "space opera" may be great fun but is not supposed to make you think. Fantasy can also be written or have been written to contain complicated ideas or even political satire (think Gulivers Travels).

It can be difficult to guess in advance, but sometimes the author drops a clue in the title.

Consider the book "Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen" synopsis on Wiki here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman ... _Red_Queen

and if, like me, you didn't instantly get the clue, here it is.
http://www.allaboutscience.org/evolutio ... is-faq.htm

TopOnePercent
Lemon Slice

Postby TopOnePercent » April 6th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:That may be a choice of genre or dictated by why you read fiction. "Hard" science fiction takes scientific concepts and wraps a story around them while "space opera" may be great fun but is not supposed to make you think.

:lol: Thank you for those entertaining definitions. It's genuinely the first time I've heard such, and I expect to remember them for quote a while. :D

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 7th, 2017, 1:07 pm

cinelli wrote:Do you remember books? I am rather ashamed to write that I have just finished a book by a very well regarded author and, on adding its name to my list of books read, have found that I had already read it. Admittedly it was 30 years ago but, and this is the point, I didn’t remember a single thing about it. Do you remember books, plots, characters?

Yes and no. It depends on what the book did for me. If I loved a book I'd be able to definitely summarise it and over some musing moments, recall many details.

On the other hand, books that haven't really did much for me, make little long term impression, especially in memory.

cinelli wrote:And that’s another question: do you keep a list of books you have read? The reason I do it is that, occasionally when I am looking to choose a new book to read, I look back on my list and say, “I enjoyed that – I must try another by him/her”.

Cinelli

I have tried a number of things from lists to writing small summaries of how I felt about a read and when I read it. I'm currently just doing the former.

If you're interested I'll paste my reads in the next post since I kept record from January 2017.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 7th, 2017, 1:09 pm

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
    Discourse on the Origin of Inequality - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Reveries of the Solitary Walker - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Civil Disobedience - Henry David Thoreau
    Autobiography - Gandhi
    A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
    This book will save your life - Amy M. Homes
    Clarissa - Samuel Richardson
    War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
    How to be Rich - Felix Dennis
    Carbon Calculator - Mark Lynas
    Why Vegan: The Ethics of Eating and the Need for Change - Kath Clements
    Questions Are the Answers: How to Get to Yes in Network Marketing - Allan Pease
    Your First Year in Network Marketing - Mark & Rene Yarnell
    Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
    I can make you Rich - Paul McKenna
    Ex Libris - Anne Fadiman
    Rich Dad's Guide to Investing - Robert Kiyosaki
    As a Man Thinketh - James Allen
    Life's Missing Instruction Manual - Joe Vitale
    The Richest Man in Babylon - George S Classon
    Waverley - Sir Walter Scott
    A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland - Samuel Johnson
    A Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides - James Boswell
    Free the Animals: The Story of the Animal Liberation Front - Ingrid Newkirk
    Getting Things Done - David Allen
    The Millionaire Mortgage Broker - Darrin Seppinni
    How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling - Frank Bettger
    Calum's Road - Roger Hutchinson
    A Waxing Moon, The Modern Gaelic Revival - Roger Hutchinson
    The Life of Samuel Johnson - James Boswell
    The Life of Cardinal Mezzofanti - Charles William Russell
    Why I Am Not a Christian - Bertrand Russell (r)
    All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque
    The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer (r)
    The Life of Pi - Yann Martel
    Chinese Cinderella - Adeline Yen Mah
    The History of King Lear - William Shakespeare
    Z for Zachariah - Robert O'Brien
    In My Own Words - Dalai Lama
    Buddhism Without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening - Stephen Batchelor
    The Buddhism Handbook - John Snelling
    The Path of Insight Meditation - Joseph Goldstein & Jack Kornfield
    Wisdom of the Buddha - F. Max Muller (ed)
    Buddhist Meditation in the Southern School - G.Constant Lounsbery
    Holy Cow - Sarah MacDonald
    Ulysses - James Joyce
    Becoming and Effective Teacher - Tony Fetherston
    Educational Psychology - Anita Woolfolk, Kay Margetts
    Touching the Void - Joe Simpson
    Nonviolence: The History of a Dangerous Idea - Mark Kurlansky
    Notes from the Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Kim - Rudyard Kipling
    Teach Yourself How to Run a Marathon - Tim Rogers
    Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
    The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
    The Steppe - Anton Chekhov
    The Duel - Anton Chekhov
    The Story of an Unknown man - Anton Chekhov
    Three Years - Anton Chekhov
    My Life - Anton Chekhov
    Your Money or Your Life - Vicki Robin
    Interactions: Collaboration Skills for School Professionals - Marilyn Friend & Lynne Cook
    Silas Marner - George Elliot
    Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
    To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
    The Spy who came in from the Cold - John Le Carré
    The Outsider - Albert Camus
    Malone Dies - Samuel Beckett
    I'm Not Scared - Niccolò Ammaniti
    The Ball and the Cross - G.K. Chesterton
    Tomorrow when the War Began - John Marsden
    Poor Fellow My Country - Xavier Herbert
    Dracula - Bram Stoker
    A Memoir of the 'Forty-Five - James Johnstone
    Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Macbeth - William Shakespeare
    Catriona - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Master of Ballantrae - Robert Louis Stevenson
    First Folio a Little Book of Folio Forewords - Katherine Taylor
    Woodbrook - David Thompson
    The Snow Goose - Paul Gallico
    The Aeneid - Virgil (trans. Robert Fitzgerald)
    The Histories - Herodotus
    The Weir of Hermiston - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Iliad - Homer
    The Witches - Roald Dahl
    The Twits - Roald Dahl
    Georges Marvellous Medicine - Roald Dahl
    The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis
    The Greek Philosophers - W.K.C. Guthrie
    The Hunchback of Notre-Dame - Victor Hugo
    Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
    The Diary of a Village Shopkeeper - Thomas Turner
    The Call of the Wild - Jack London
    The Royal House of Stewart - the Scottish National Portrait Gallery - H. Scruton
    Tam O'Haggis: The Life and Times of Robert Burns - Fiona Morton
    The Queen of Spades - Alexander Pushkin
    The Overcoat - Nikolai Vasilevich Gogol
    Robert Louis Stevenson - Lord Guthrie
    Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Dubliners - James Joyce
    The Story of Tom Brennan - J.C. Burke
    The God of Philosophy - Roy Jackson
    The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins
    The Black Arrow - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Bride of Lammermoor - Sir Walter Scott
    I'm Not Scared - Niccolò Ammaniti (r)
    Hard Times - Charles Dickens
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams
    Life, the Universe and Everything - Douglas Adams
    So long and thanks for all the Fish - Douglas Adams
    Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder - Shamini Flint
    The Memoirs of Sir James Melville of Halhill - James Melville
    Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams
    Marx in 90 Minutes - Paul Strathern
    Nietzsche in 90 Minutes - Paul Strathern
    Spinoza in 90 Minutes - Paul Strathern
    Schopenhauer in 90 Minutes - Paul Strathern
    The History of Scotland - Knox and Houston
    The prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark
    Running Through the Wall - Neil Jamison
    Father Damien - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Odyssey - Homer
    An Inland Voyage - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Fontainebleau - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Forest Notes - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Karl Marx's Theory of History, A Defence - G.A. Cohen
    Why Read Marx Today? - Jonathan Wolff
    The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
    Macbeth and Son - Jackie French
    Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
    Mumu - Ivan Turgenev
    Thrawn Janet - Robert Louis Stevenson
    East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    The Rights of the Reader - Daniel Pennac
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
    To Kill a Mocking-Bird - Harper Lee
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
    Travels with a donkey in the Cévennes - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Amateur Emigrant - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Across the Plains - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Word Brain - Bernd Sebastian Kamps
    The Silverado Squatters - Robert Louis Stevenson
    My Ántonia - Willa Cather
    The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored man - James Weldon Johnson
    Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson - Thomas Jefferson
    Why Marx was Right - Terry Eagleton
    The Lord of the Flies - William Golding
    Human Chain - Seamus Heaney
    The Hunting Sketches - Ivan Turgenev
    Truth Freedom and Love - Anton Chekhov
    The Aeneid - Virgil (trans. Cecil Day Lewis)
    St Ives - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The English Language by Robert Burchfield
    Home from the Sea - A Robert Louis Stevenson Poetry Anthology by Ivor Brown
    Moby Dick - Herman Melville
    The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
    Master and Commander - Patrick O'Brian
    The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx and Frederick Engels
    Men at Arms- Evelyn Waugh
    Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer
    Officers and Gentlemen - Evelyn Waugh
    The Quiet Man - Maurice Walsh
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    Unconditional Surrender - Evelyn Waugh
    In The South Seas - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Reading the Oxford English Dictionary - Ammon Shea
    Unweaving the Rainbow - Richard Dawkins
    Please Understand Me II by David Keirsey
    Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin - Tracy Lee Simmons
    Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
    Call for the Dead - John le Carré
    The Social Animal - David Brooks
    Socialism made Easy - James Connolly
    Fatal Purity: Robespierre and the French Revolution - Ruth Scurr
    The German Ideology - Karl Marx and Frederick Engels
    How Marxism Works - Chris Harman
    The Pleasure Trap - Douglas J Lisle
    African Diary - Bill Bryson
    Songs of Innocence and of Experience - William Blake
    The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
    The 5:2 Diet Book - Kate Harrison
    The Well-Educated Mind - Susan Wise Bauer
    How Marxism Works - Chris Harman (R)
    The Communist Manifesto - Marx and Engels (R)
    Deep Green Resistance - McBay, Keith, Jensen.
    Treat Your Own Back - Robin Mackenzie
    The Fast Diet - Michael Mosley
    The General Danced at Dawn - George MacDonald Fraser
    McAuslan in the Rough - George MacDonald Fraser
    The Sheikh and the Dustbin - George MacDonald Fraser
    When the Clyde Ran Red - Maggie Craig
    The Mountains of California - John Muir
    Stickeen - John Muir
    I married a Communist - Philip Roth
    Dreams That Die - John Wight
    The Soul of Man under Socialism - Oscar Wilde
    The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
    Bilbo's Last Song - JRR Tolkien
    The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien (BBC Radio Dramatisation)
    The Prophet Armed: Trotsky 1879-1921 - Isaac Deutscher
    Connected Communities: Philosophical Communities - Jules Evans
    Philosophies for Life and other Dangerous Situations - Jules Evans
    The Consolations of Philosophy - Alain De Botton
    The Inklings: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends - Humphrey Carpenter
    On Fairy Stories - JRR Tolkien
    Speaker's Meaning - Owen Barfield
    The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis
    The Power of Myth - Joseph Campbell
    JRR Tolkien - Michael Coren
    The Most Reluctant Convert. C.S. Lewis' Journey to Faith - David Downing
    Rob Roy - Sir Walter Scott
    The Steps to the Empty Throne - Nigel Tranter
    Venus and Adonis - William Shakespeare
    The Path of the Hero King - Nigel Tranter
    The Merry Wives of Windsor - William Shakespeare
    The Price of the King's Peace - Nigel Tranter
    A Midsummer Night's Dream - William Shakespeare
    Henry V - William Shakespeare
    The Merchant of Venice - William Shakespeare
    Philosophy for Beginners - Max Charlesworth
    Rhyme and Reason, St. Thomas and Modes of Discourse - Ralph McInerny
    Daily Readings with Blaise Pascal - Robert van den Weyer
    Daily Readings with Søren Kierkegaard - Robert van den Weyer
    Handbook of Christian Apologetics - Peter Kreeft
    The Tempest - William Shakespeare
    The Dawkins Delusion - Alister McGrath
    The Way - Saint Josemaría Escrivá de Balaguer
    Tolkien - Humphrey Carpenter
    Pascendi Dominici Gregis - Pope Pius X
    Open Letter to Confused Catholics - Marcel Lefebvre
    Mercy - Cardinal Walter Kasper
    From Ecumenism to Silent Apostasy - Society of Saint Pius X
    JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century - Tom Shippey
    The Problems With the New Mass: A Brief Overview of the Major Theological Difficulties Inherent in the Novus Ordo Missae - Rama P. Coomaraswamy
    Providentissimus Deus - Pope Leo XIII
    Catholic Conversion Book - Tracy Tucciarone
    Friendly Reflections - Christopher Ferrara
    They Have Uncrowned Him - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
    No Crisis in the Church? - Simon Galloway
    Medjugorie: A Warning - Michael Davies
    St. Louis de Montfort - Total Consecration
    The Goldfish Bowl: The Church since Vatican II - Michael Davies
    The Barbarians have Taken over - Michael Davies
    Saint Athanasius - Frances A Forbes
    Saint Pius X - Monsignor John P Carroll Abbing
    The Christian Father: What he should be and what he should do - Rev. W. Cramer
    Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
    Angels and Devils - Rev. Dr. L. Rumble
    The New Paganism - John Vennari
    St. Antony of the Desert - St. Athanasius
    St. Joseph, Fatima and Fatherhood, Reflections on the Miracle of the sun - Msgr. Joseph Cirrincione
    Why not share the Faith? - A.R. Winter
    A Scientist finds God - Alexis Carrel
    Can we be Saints? - Frank Duff
    The Liturgical Year Volume I: Advent - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    The Dominican Life - FD Joret
    The Liturgical Year Volume 2: Christmas Book One - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    The Liturgical Year Volume 3: Christmas Book Two - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    Sapientiae Christianae - Pope Leo XIII
    The Liturgical Year Volume 4: Septuagesima - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    Uniformity with God's Will - St Alphonsus de Ligouri
    Leisure the basis of Culture - Josef Pieper
    The Liturgical Year Volume 5: Lent - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    The Reign of Christ the King - Michael Davies
    The Holy See's Teaching on Catholic Schools - Archbishop J. Michael Miller, CSB
    St Peter Damian: his teaching on the spiritual life - Owen J. Blum, O.F.M
    Teacher and Training - Richard Henry Tierney SJ
    St Edmund Campion: A Life - Evelyn Waugh
    Hamlet - William Shakespeare
    The Silmarillion - JRR Tolkien
    The Confessions - St Augustine
    Sins of the Tongue: The Backbiting Tongue - Fr. Belet
    My Daily Bread - Anthony J Paone SJ
    Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson (r)
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (r)
    Advice to Parents - St Alphonsus de Ligouri
    David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
    Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence - Fr. Jean Baptiste Saint-Jure & St. Claude de la Colombiere
    Love thy Neighbour - Mary Foster
    Richard III - William Shakespeare
    Freelance Writing - Linda Jones
    Blogging for writers - Robin Houghton
    E-books the Smart Way - Pat Flynn
    The Divine Comedy - Dante translated by Dorothy Sayers
    What will Hell be like? - St Alphonsus de Ligouri
    Canonisation of Blessed John Ogilvie - The Office for Papal Ceremonies
    St Paul - Frederick WH Myers
    The Old and the New Pacific Capitals - Robert Louis Stevenson
    A Mountain Town in France - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet - Dr Michael Mosley
    Edinburgh: Picturesque Notes - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Realist Guide to Religion and Science - Fr. Paul Robinson
    The Heart of Midlothian - Sir Walter Scott
    Sideways - Rex Pickett
    The Thirty-Nine Steps - John Buchan
    A Handful of Dust - Evelyn Waugh
    Success or your Money Back - Shed Simove
    It's The Mass that Matters - Michael Davies
    The Magic of Written Goals - Kim Broemer
    79 Network Marketing Tips - Wes Linden
    The Obstacle is the Way - Ryan Holiday
    Humility of the Heart - Fr. Cajetan Mary de Bergamo
    The Art of Wandering - Merlin Coverley
    Don Quixote de la Mancha - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
    Aristotle for Everybody: Difficult Thought Made Easy - Motimer J. Adler
    The Divine Comedy - Dante translated by Mark Musa
    The Four Temperaments - Rev. Conrad Hock
    Thoughts of a Philosophical Fighter Pilot - James Stockdale
    The Temperament God Gave You - Art Bennett and Laraine Bennett
    Culture Counts - Roger Scruton
    Uniformity with God's Will - St Alphonsus de Ligouri (R)
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (R)
    Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
    The Importance of Being Ernest - Oscar Wilde
    Oedipus Rex - Sophocles
    The Life of St Mungo - Jocelyn, Monk of Furness
    Ego is the Enemy - Ryan Holiday
    The Art of War - Sun Tzu
    The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
    The Warren Buffet Way - Robert Hagstrom
    The Soul of the World - Roger Scruton
    Essay on Man - Alexander Pope
    The Catholic Book of Character and Success - Edward F Garesche SJ
    Scotch - Robert Bruce Lockhart
    Churchill - Roy Jenkins
    Natural born heroes - Christopher McDougall

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 7th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Halicarnassus wrote:
    The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
    Discourse on the Origin of Inequality - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Reveries of the Solitary Walker - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    Civil Disobedience - Henry David Thoreau
    Autobiography - Gandhi
    A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
    This book will save your life - Amy M. Homes
    Clarissa - Samuel Richardson
    War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
    How to be Rich - Felix Dennis
    Carbon Calculator - Mark Lynas
    Why Vegan: The Ethics of Eating and the Need for Change - Kath Clements
    Questions Are the Answers: How to Get to Yes in Network Marketing - Allan Pease
    Your First Year in Network Marketing - Mark & Rene Yarnell
    Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
    I can make you Rich - Paul McKenna
    Ex Libris - Anne Fadiman
    Rich Dad's Guide to Investing - Robert Kiyosaki
    As a Man Thinketh - James Allen
    Life's Missing Instruction Manual - Joe Vitale
    The Richest Man in Babylon - George S Classon
    A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland - Samuel Johnson
    A Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides - James Boswell
    Free the Animals: The Story of the Animal Liberation Front - Ingrid Newkirk
    Getting Things Done - David Allen
    The Millionaire Mortgage Broker - Darrin Seppinni
    How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling - Frank Bettger
    Calum's Road - Roger Hutchinson
    A Waxing Moon, The Modern Gaelic Revival - Roger Hutchinson
    The Life of Samuel Johnson - James Boswell
    The Life of Cardinal Mezzofanti - Charles William Russell
    Why I Am Not a Christian - Bertrand Russell (r)
    All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque
    The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer (r)
    The Life of Pi - Yann Martel
    Chinese Cinderella - Adeline Yen Mah
    The History of King Lear - William Shakespeare
    Z for Zachariah - Robert O'Brien
    In My Own Words - Dalai Lama
    Buddhism Without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening - Stephen Batchelor
    The Buddhism Handbook - John Snelling
    The Path of Insight Meditation - Joseph Goldstein & Jack Kornfield
    Wisdom of the Buddha - F. Max Muller (ed)
    Buddhist Meditation in the Southern School - G.Constant Lounsbery
    Holy Cow - Sarah MacDonald
    Ulysses - James Joyce
    Becoming and Effective Teacher - Tony Fetherston
    Educational Psychology - Anita Woolfolk, Kay Margetts
    Touching the Void - Joe Simpson
    Nonviolence: The History of a Dangerous Idea - Mark Kurlansky
    Notes from the Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Kim - Rudyard Kipling
    Teach Yourself How to Run a Marathon - Tim Rogers
    Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
    The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
    The Steppe - Anton Chekhov
    The Duel - Anton Chekhov
    The Story of an Unknown man - Anton Chekhov
    Three Years - Anton Chekhov
    My Life - Anton Chekhov
    Your Money or Your Life - Vicki Robin
    Interactions: Collaboration Skills for School Professionals - Marilyn Friend & Lynne Cook
    Silas Marner - George Elliot
    Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
    To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
    The Spy who came in from the Cold - John Le Carré
    The Outsider - Albert Camus
    Malone Dies - Samuel Beckett
    I'm Not Scared - Niccolò Ammaniti
    The Ball and the Cross - G.K. Chesterton
    Tomorrow when the War Began - John Marsden
    Poor Fellow My Country - Xavier Herbert
    Dracula - Bram Stoker
    A Memoir of the 'Forty-Five - James Johnstone
    Macbeth - William Shakespeare
    The Master of Ballantrae - Robert Louis Stevenson
    First Folio a Little Book of Folio Forewords - Katherine Taylor
    Woodbrook - David Thompson
    The Snow Goose - Paul Gallico
    The Aeneid - Virgil (trans. Robert Fitzgerald)
    The Histories - Herodotus
    The Weir of Hermiston - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Iliad - Homer
    The Witches - Roald Dahl
    The Twits - Roald Dahl
    Georges Marvellous Medicine - Roald Dahl
    The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis
    The Greek Philosophers - W.K.C. Guthrie
    The Hunchback of Notre-Dame - Victor Hugo
    Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
    The Diary of a Village Shopkeeper - Thomas Turner
    The Call of the Wild - Jack London
    The Royal House of Stewart - the Scottish National Portrait Gallery - H. Scruton
    Tam O'Haggis: The Life and Times of Robert Burns - Fiona Morton
    The Queen of Spades - Alexander Pushkin
    The Overcoat - Nikolai Vasilevich Gogol
    Robert Louis Stevenson - Lord Guthrie
    Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Dubliners - James Joyce
    The Story of Tom Brennan - J.C. Burke
    The God of Philosophy - Roy Jackson
    The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins
    The Black Arrow - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Bride of Lammermoor - Sir Walter Scott
    Hard Times - Charles Dickens
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams
    Life, the Universe and Everything - Douglas Adams
    So long and thanks for all the Fish - Douglas Adams
    Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder - Shamini Flint
    The Memoirs of Sir James Melville of Halhill - James Melville
    Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams
    Marx in 90 Minutes - Paul Strathern
    Nietzsche in 90 Minutes - Paul Strathern
    Spinoza in 90 Minutes - Paul Strathern
    Schopenhauer in 90 Minutes - Paul Strathern
    The History of Scotland - Knox and Houston
    The prime of Miss Jean Brodie - Muriel Spark
    Running Through the Wall - Neil Jamison
    Father Damien - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Odyssey - Homer
    An Inland Voyage - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Fontainebleau - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Forest Notes - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Karl Marx's Theory of History, A Defence - G.A. Cohen
    Why Read Marx Today? - Jonathan Wolff
    The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
    Macbeth and Son - Jackie French
    Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
    Mumu - Ivan Turgenev
    Thrawn Janet - Robert Louis Stevenson
    East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    The Rights of the Reader - Daniel Pennac
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
    To Kill a Mocking-Bird - Harper Lee
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Travels with a donkey in the Cévennes - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Amateur Emigrant - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Across the Plains - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Word Brain - Bernd Sebastian Kamps
    My Ántonia - Willa Cather
    The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored man - James Weldon Johnson
    Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson - Thomas Jefferson
    Why Marx was Right - Terry Eagleton
    The Lord of the Flies - William Golding
    Human Chain - Seamus Heaney
    The Hunting Sketches - Ivan Turgenev
    Truth Freedom and Love - Anton Chekhov
    The Aeneid - Virgil (trans. Cecil Day Lewis)
    St Ives - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The English Language by Robert Burchfield
    Home from the Sea - A Robert Louis Stevenson Poetry Anthology by Ivor Brown
    Moby Dick - Herman Melville
    The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
    Master and Commander - Patrick O'Brian
    The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx and Frederick Engels
    Men at Arms- Evelyn Waugh
    Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer
    Officers and Gentlemen - Evelyn Waugh
    The Quiet Man - Maurice Walsh
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    Unconditional Surrender - Evelyn Waugh
    In The South Seas - Robert Louis Stevenson
    Reading the Oxford English Dictionary - Ammon Shea
    Unweaving the Rainbow - Richard Dawkins
    Please Understand Me II by David Keirsey
    Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek and Latin - Tracy Lee Simmons
    Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
    Call for the Dead - John le Carré
    The Social Animal - David Brooks
    Socialism made Easy - James Connolly
    Fatal Purity: Robespierre and the French Revolution - Ruth Scurr
    The German Ideology - Karl Marx and Frederick Engels
    How Marxism Works - Chris Harman
    The Pleasure Trap - Douglas J Lisle
    African Diary - Bill Bryson
    Songs of Innocence and of Experience - William Blake
    The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
    The 5:2 Diet Book - Kate Harrison
    The Well-Educated Mind - Susan Wise Bauer
    How Marxism Works - Chris Harman (R)
    The Communist Manifesto - Marx and Engels (R)
    Deep Green Resistance - McBay, Keith, Jensen.
    Treat Your Own Back - Robin Mackenzie
    The General Danced at Dawn - George MacDonald Fraser
    McAuslan in the Rough - George MacDonald Fraser
    The Sheikh and the Dustbin - George MacDonald Fraser
    When the Clyde Ran Red - Maggie Craig
    The Mountains of California - John Muir
    Stickeen - John Muir
    I married a Communist - Philip Roth
    Dreams That Die - John Wight
    The Soul of Man under Socialism - Oscar Wilde
    Bilbo's Last Song - JRR Tolkien
    The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien (BBC Radio Dramatisation)
    The Prophet Armed: Trotsky 1879-1921 - Isaac Deutscher
    Connected Communities: Philosophical Communities - Jules Evans
    Philosophies for Life and other Dangerous Situations - Jules Evans
    The Consolations of Philosophy - Alain De Botton
    The Inklings: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends - Humphrey Carpenter
    On Fairy Stories - JRR Tolkien
    Speaker's Meaning - Owen Barfield
    The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis
    The Power of Myth - Joseph Campbell
    JRR Tolkien - Michael Coren
    The Most Reluctant Convert. C.S. Lewis' Journey to Faith - David Downing
    Rob Roy - Sir Walter Scott
    The Steps to the Empty Throne - Nigel Tranter
    Venus and Adonis - William Shakespeare
    The Path of the Hero King - Nigel Tranter
    The Merry Wives of Windsor - William Shakespeare
    The Price of the King's Peace - Nigel Tranter
    A Midsummer Night's Dream - William Shakespeare
    Henry V - William Shakespeare
    Philosophy for Beginners - Max Charlesworth
    Rhyme and Reason, St. Thomas and Modes of Discourse - Ralph McInerny
    Daily Readings with Blaise Pascal - Robert van den Weyer
    Daily Readings with Søren Kierkegaard - Robert van den Weyer
    Handbook of Christian Apologetics - Peter Kreeft
    The Tempest - William Shakespeare
    The Dawkins Delusion - Alister McGrath
    The Way - Saint Josemaría Escrivá de Balaguer
    Tolkien - Humphrey Carpenter
    Pascendi Dominici Gregis - Pope Pius X
    Open Letter to Confused Catholics - Marcel Lefebvre
    Mercy - Cardinal Walter Kasper
    From Ecumenism to Silent Apostasy - Society of Saint Pius X
    JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century - Tom Shippey
    The Problems With the New Mass: A Brief Overview of the Major Theological Difficulties Inherent in the Novus Ordo Missae - Rama P. Coomaraswamy
    Providentissimus Deus - Pope Leo XIII
    Catholic Conversion Book - Tracy Tucciarone
    Friendly Reflections - Christopher Ferrara
    They Have Uncrowned Him - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
    No Crisis in the Church? - Simon Galloway
    Medjugorie: A Warning - Michael Davies
    St. Louis de Montfort - Total Consecration
    The Goldfish Bowl: The Church since Vatican II - Michael Davies
    The Barbarians have Taken over - Michael Davies
    Saint Athanasius - Frances A Forbes
    Saint Pius X - Monsignor John P Carroll Abbing
    The Christian Father: What he should be and what he should do - Rev. W. Cramer
    Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
    Angels and Devils - Rev. Dr. L. Rumble
    The New Paganism - John Vennari
    St. Antony of the Desert - St. Athanasius
    St. Joseph, Fatima and Fatherhood, Reflections on the Miracle of the sun - Msgr. Joseph Cirrincione
    Why not share the Faith? - A.R. Winter
    A Scientist finds God - Alexis Carrel
    Can we be Saints? - Frank Duff
    The Liturgical Year Volume I: Advent - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    The Liturgical Year Volume 2: Christmas Book One - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    The Liturgical Year Volume 3: Christmas Book Two - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    Sapientiae Christianae - Pope Leo XIII
    The Liturgical Year Volume 4: Septuagesima - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    Leisure the basis of Culture - Josef Pieper
    The Liturgical Year Volume 5: Lent - Dom Prosper Gueranger
    The Reign of Christ the King - Michael Davies
    The Holy See's Teaching on Catholic Schools - Archbishop J. Michael Miller, CSB
    St Peter Damian: his teaching on the spiritual life - Owen J. Blum, O.F.M
    Teacher and Training - Richard Henry Tierney SJ
    St Edmund Campion: A Life - Evelyn Waugh
    Hamlet - William Shakespeare
    The Silmarillion - JRR Tolkien
    The Confessions - St Augustine
    Sins of the Tongue: The Backbiting Tongue - Fr. Belet
    My Daily Bread - Anthony J Paone SJ
    Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson (r)
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (r)
    Advice to Parents - St Alphonsus de Ligouri
    David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
    Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence - Fr. Jean Baptiste Saint-Jure & St. Claude de la Colombiere
    Love thy Neighbour - Mary Foster
    Richard III - William Shakespeare
    Freelance Writing - Linda Jones
    Blogging for writers - Robin Houghton
    E-books the Smart Way - Pat Flynn
    The Divine Comedy - Dante translated by Dorothy Sayers
    What will Hell be like? - St Alphonsus de Ligouri
    Canonisation of Blessed John Ogilvie - The Office for Papal Ceremonies
    St Paul - Frederick WH Myers
    The Old and the New Pacific Capitals - Robert Louis Stevenson
    A Mountain Town in France - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet - Dr Michael Mosley
    Edinburgh: Picturesque Notes - Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Realist Guide to Religion and Science - Fr. Paul Robinson
    The Heart of Midlothian - Sir Walter Scott
    Sideways - Rex Pickett
    The Thirty-Nine Steps - John Buchan
    A Handful of Dust - Evelyn Waugh
    Success or your Money Back - Shed Simove
    It's The Mass that Matters - Michael Davies
    The Magic of Written Goals - Kim Broemer
    79 Network Marketing Tips - Wes Linden
    The Obstacle is the Way - Ryan Holiday
    Humility of the Heart - Fr. Cajetan Mary de Bergamo
    The Art of Wandering - Merlin Coverley
    Don Quixote de la Mancha - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
    Aristotle for Everybody: Difficult Thought Made Easy - Motimer J. Adler
    The Divine Comedy - Dante translated by Mark Musa
    The Four Temperaments - Rev. Conrad Hock
    Thoughts of a Philosophical Fighter Pilot - James Stockdale
    The Temperament God Gave You - Art Bennett and Laraine Bennett
    Culture Counts - Roger Scruton
    Uniformity with God's Will - St Alphonsus de Ligouri (R)
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (R)
    Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
    The Importance of Being Ernest - Oscar Wilde
    Oedipus Rex - Sophocles
    The Life of St Mungo - Jocelyn, Monk of Furness
    Ego is the Enemy - Ryan Holiday
    The Art of War - Sun Tzu
    The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
    The Warren Buffet Way - Robert Hagstrom
    The Soul of the World - Roger Scruton
    Essay on Man - Alexander Pope
    The Catholic Book of Character and Success - Edward F Garesche SJ
    Scotch - Robert Bruce Lockhart
    Churchill - Roy Jenkins
    Natural born heroes - Christopher McDougall

You read that lot in 3.5 months? :o

Slarti

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 7th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Slarti wrote:You read that lot in 3.5 months? :o

Slarti

I'm sure that the date's a typo. However I now vividly recall Selina Scott questioning the char of the Judges for the Booker prize (Fay Weldon) if she had actually read all 100 books!

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 8th, 2017, 12:21 am

Ha :D Sorry that was meant to read January 2007. Just over ten years ago.

Return to “Books and Reading”