Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Amazon

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Dod101
The full Lemon

Amazon

Postby Dod101 » November 23rd, 2022, 1:08 pm

I read a lot, usually for a couple of hours at least most evenings. TV is mostly a switch off for me although I am enjoying Tokyo Vice.

Anyway the point of this post is just to say that Amazon is amazing. Two evenings ago I decided to order a couple of books from Amazon. The usual offer of Prime was made but I declined since they no longer seem to offer free membership for a week or so. I ticked the box for Free Delivery and they said delivery by 25 November. I could live with that. Then last evening (that is 24 hours after ordering) they said the order has been dispatched and would be delivered today. It has just arrived. Had I paid for delivery, they were promising the same so why would anyone pay for delivery?

Anyway, I guess their delivery vehicle is out and about anyway but they provide an amazing service. I almost feel sorry for Waterstones because why would I get into my car, drive a round trip of 40 miles or so, park my car and go to Waterstones for the privilege of paying them more than I paid to Amazon?

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Amazon

Postby servodude » November 23rd, 2022, 1:36 pm

Dod101 wrote:why would I get into my car, drive a round trip of 40 miles or so, park my car and go to Waterstones for the privilege of paying them more than I paid to Amazon?

Big chain bookstores I can't care about.
But I do go out of my way to support a couple of local independent book stores - and make sure to visit any I find on my travels
- I was emotionally scarred when Smith's left St Vincent St

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » November 23rd, 2022, 1:44 pm

Not to everyone's taste, but have you tried a Kindle? Great for reading in bed (back lit, does not disturb partner). If you like the look of a book, you can download the first 10% free. If still impressed, delivery takes about 10 seconds. Don't understand a word? Touch it with your finger and up pops a dictionary definition, a Wikipedia summary or a translation. I didn't think I'd like it being a huge paper book fan, but was hooked on first use.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 23rd, 2022, 1:45 pm

servodude wrote:
Dod101 wrote:why would I get into my car, drive a round trip of 40 miles or so, park my car and go to Waterstones for the privilege of paying them more than I paid to Amazon?

But I do go out of my way to support a couple of local independent book stores - and make sure to visit any I find on my travels

I would not like to see Waterstones disappearing either and do use them from time to time but do not go out of my way to find them. As for other 'independents' I do not know of any in my locality, and by that I mean say within 50 miles or so.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 23rd, 2022, 1:47 pm

NotSure wrote:Not to everyone's taste, but have you tried a Kindle? Great for reading in bed (back lit, does not disturb partner). If you like the look of a book, you can download the first 10% free. If still impressed, delivery takes about 10 seconds. Don't understand a word? Touch it with your finger and up pops a dictionary definition, a Wikipedia summary or a translation. I didn't think I'd like it being a huge paper book fan, but was hooked on first use.

I have a kindle somewhere but really could not appreciate it. For reading in bed, I can see the benefit but I am afraid that when I go to bed I just go to sleep.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 23rd, 2022, 1:54 pm

Dod101 wrote:
servodude wrote:

I would not like to see Waterstones disappearing either and do use them from time to time but do not go out of my way to find them. As for other 'independents' I do not know of any in my locality, and by that I mean say within 50 miles or so.

Dod

See that's what I'm worried about
If we don't keep them going that could happen everywhere!
:shock:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 23rd, 2022, 1:57 pm

Dod101 wrote:Two evenings ago I decided to order a couple of books from Amazon. The usual offer of Prime was made but I declined since they no longer seem to offer free membership for a week or so.

Did you take up the Prime trial offer some time in the last year or so? I sign up for the 30 day trial every year or two and binge watch whatever interests me for a month and then cancel. After that they no longer offer me the trial for a while, but then after a year or so they start offering it again, which they are currently, so sometime soon I'll take a look at what they have I want to watch ... season two of Star Trek: Picard will be top of the list. :D

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 23rd, 2022, 2:00 pm

NotSure wrote:Not to everyone's taste, but have you tried a Kindle? Great for reading in bed (back lit, does not disturb partner). If you like the look of a book, you can download the first 10% free. If still impressed, delivery takes about 10 seconds. Don't understand a word? Touch it with your finger and up pops a dictionary definition, a Wikipedia summary or a translation. I didn't think I'd like it being a huge paper book fan, but was hooked on first use.

Quite agree, far better for the planet too - no trees cut down for paper, books being printed and distributed etc etc. Plus saves an awful lot of storage space in the house!

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 23rd, 2022, 2:06 pm

Snorvey wrote:Prime at what? £80? Per year Is a pretty good deal in my opinion.

It's going up to £95 next month, but still worth it for the quick delivery and Prime Video

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 23rd, 2022, 2:13 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Two evenings ago I decided to order a couple of books from Amazon. The usual offer of Prime was made but I declined since they no longer seem to offer free membership for a week or so.

Did you take up the Prime trial offer some time in the last year or so? I sign up for the 30 day trial every year or two and binge watch whatever interests me for a month and then cancel. After that they no longer offer me the trial for a while, but then after a year or so they start offering it again, which they are currently, so sometime soon I'll take a look at what they have I want to watch ... season two of Star Trek: Picard will be top of the list. :D

That is what I have been doing as well, not so much for binge watching but certainly for binge delivery! My reading of the offer two days ago was though that they now make a modest charge but maybe I have just outlived my welcome at least pro tem.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 23rd, 2022, 2:16 pm

pje16 wrote:

It's going up to £95 next month, but still worth it for the quick delivery and Prime Video

48 hours or less for free delivery is quite fast enough for me and I watch very little TV/video anyway so £80/95 I would never pay. Would rather give it to the Salvation Army.

Dod

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 23rd, 2022, 2:17 pm

Re: kindle.

It's the best thing since the invention of the "Three volume novel". What's a "three volume novel" I hear you cry. Well, it's a novel that would be almost impossible to read if it were a single book, so normally split into three volumes. I.E "The Lord of the Rings".
Sure, you CAN buy it as a single paper back, but just how heavy is it going to be and how small the text to keep the weight down?

This copy is 1200 pages!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Fel ... ngs&sr=1-1

But doesn't add a gram to the weight of the kindle.

The reduced distribution costs also mean that some chose to give the ebook version away for free. Ie, since TLF is a finance site, this book (due in Dec).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Investment-Tru ... C76&sr=8-3

I confess though that I've taken to listening to audiobooks (when available) instead of using my kindle.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 23rd, 2022, 2:20 pm

Dod101 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Did you take up the Prime trial offer some time in the last year or so? I sign up for the 30 day trial every year or two and binge watch whatever interests me for a month and then cancel. After that they no longer offer me the trial for a while, but then after a year or so they start offering it again, which they are currently, so sometime soon I'll take a look at what they have I want to watch ... season two of Star Trek: Picard will be top of the list. :D

That is what I have been doing as well, not so much for binge watching but certainly for binge delivery! My reading of the offer two days ago was though that they now make a modest charge but maybe I have just outlived my welcome at least pro tem.

Do you not have a "Click and Collect" pickup location conveniently nearby? Delivery to those is free and I have a couple close by, so I just use that when they want to charge me for home delivery.

pje16 wrote:

It says "£8.99/month after trial period" for me. I make that £107.88pa.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 23rd, 2022, 2:28 pm

mc2fool wrote:It says "£8.99/month after trial period" for me. I make that £107.88pa.

You get a discount for paying annually up front, or else I wouldn't do that

btw the price increase was back in September (my bad)
my own one renews next month

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 30th, 2022, 6:34 pm

Dod101 wrote:
pje16 wrote:

48 hours or less for free delivery is quite fast enough for me and I watch very little TV/video anyway so £80/95 I would never pay. Would rather give it to the Salvation Army.

Dod

Hopefully your means do not require this dilemma to be addressed frequently.

Personally, I have prime and a kindle and still give to charity - though not the Sally Army.

T7

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 30th, 2022, 6:37 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:Re: kindle.

It's the best thing since the invention of the "Three volume novel". What's a "three volume novel" I hear you cry. Well, it's a novel that would be almost impossible to read if it were a single book, so normally split into three volumes. I.E "The Lord of the Rings".
Sure, you CAN buy it as a single paper back, but just how heavy is it going to be and how small the text to keep the weight down?

This copy is 1200 pages!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Fel ... ngs&sr=1-1

But doesn't add a gram to the weight of the kindle.

The reduced distribution costs also mean that some chose to give the ebook version away for free. Ie, since TLF is a finance site, this book (due in Dec).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Investment-Tru ... C76&sr=8-3

I confess though that I've taken to listening to audiobooks (when available) instead of using my kindle.

I travel the world with the complete works of Shakespeare in my rucksack - ok actually a kindle. Just rereading Wolf Hall - glad I don't need to lug that volume around on the London tube.

T7

Return to “Books and Reading”