Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

School Photo Reproduction

Kit, locations and help
penym
Lemon Pip

School Photo Reproduction

Postby penym » May 22nd, 2018, 10:07 am

I have a .psd file of my school photo taken In 1946. It was originally sent to me in .jpg and Snappy Snaps printed it for me.The print is 23 ins. Wide but only 6ins. In height. I now have the download in .psd

I live in London and want to find a company who would be able to reproduce the photo making it bigger in height. I realize that it is a compromise between size and clarity, but does anyone know a company I could visit to do this work?

Thanks

penym

eepee
Lemon Slice

Re: School Photo Reproduction

Postby eepee » May 22nd, 2018, 10:40 am

What do you mean 'bigger in height' ? Presumably the image is a scan photo of a whole class hence the 23 x 6 ?

If so 'bigger in height would also be wider to maintain the correct ratio - you cannot add detail that is not there although some creative artwork might invent some height.

Or is it that your psd file is of a taller image?

Or lastly are you wanting to crop a section of the picture and enlarge that?

Questions, questions, questions! If you can clarify your requirements, I am sure someone will indicate a good company for the task.

Regards,
ep

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » May 22nd, 2018, 6:09 pm

Snappy Snaps printed the photo of the whole school in .jpg and it is 23" long by 6" high. The height or depth if you prefer is too narrow. I managed to get it changed to a.psd file as I understand I could have it printed into a more acceptable size. I want the whole photo and am not wanting just to enlarge part of it.

I am sorry my question is not clear enough. I just want to know the possibility of putting the .psd file on a memory stick and finding a shop I could take it to in order the get the photo printed in a better size than Snappy Snaps produced.

penym

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 22nd, 2018, 6:42 pm

penym wrote:Snappy Snaps printed the photo of the whole school in .jpg and it is 23" long by 6" high. The height or depth if you prefer is too narrow. I managed to get it changed to a.psd file as I understand I could have it printed into a more acceptable size. I want the whole photo and am not wanting just to enlarge part of it.

I am sorry my question is not clear enough. I just want to know the possibility of putting the .psd file on a memory stick and finding a shop I could take it to in order the get the photo printed in a better size than Snappy Snaps produced.

penym

Any printer will bee able to print the file from a .jpg rather than a .psd file which is a Adobe Photoshop file. I'm not sure why the original jpg was converted to psd file.

What size do you want the file printed? Any local printer will be able to print it but the results you get will depend on the resolution of the file you give them. Did you want it 12 inches high and 46 inches wide for instance. That require a file with four times as much information as the original size. You may have this already or the file need to be upsized which can be done to the psd file in Photoshop.

Sorry to baffle you with science.

John

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » May 22nd, 2018, 7:13 pm

penym wrote:... and want to find a company who would be able to reproduce the photo making it bigger in height...

Thanks

penym

I'm still unsure what you mean penym. When you say you want the height increasing, do you mean that at present the subjects are "squashed", and you want to increase the height to correct the aspect ratio, or is it of the correct proportion already and you want it larger?

If the latter, and you want the height increasing by, say, 50% to 9", then of course the width would be increased by 50% to 34.5" to retain the correct proportions of the subjects.

As others have said, a psd file is simply an image file in a format used by Adobe, usually Photoshop, and is more often than not a work in progress, which might have different layers, or other adjustments. An image saved as a psd file is usually exported as a jpg or a tif file once finished. Other photo manipulation files can usually open psd files and then save them as jpgs or tifs if this helps.

Staffordian

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 22nd, 2018, 7:58 pm

penym wrote:I have a .psd file of my school photo taken In 1946. It was originally sent to me in .jpg and Snappy Snaps printed it for me. ...

I might be misunderstanding but can't a branch of Snappy Snaps (perhaps not your one?) do this for you?

Randomly http://www.snappysnaps-lincoln.co.uk/about/enlargements includes:

We offer a wide range of photo sizes, from standard to large sizes. If you want it even larger, we can print your image as a canvas or a poster. Come in store and speak to one of our photo advisors who can advise and inspire you on how best to display your memories.

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » May 23rd, 2018, 12:08 pm

Okay you have a photograph and you want the ratio changed.

Simply having it printed at say, 12 inch height is not going to help because the width will now be 46 inches!

So in order to achieve what you want some creative meddling is going to be needed.

Is there unnecessary space to the sides? If so cropping the sides will lower the h x d ratio and perhaps give you the print to your satisfaction.

If not somebody is going to have to add vertical space.This is of course creative in the sense that something that is not there is being created.

If the top is quite clear (such as sky), it is relatively easy to copy a part of it, and retouch if necessary to give you want you want.

If the top is cluttered, have a look at the ground in front. If this is fairly plain, perhaps increasing this area might do. Or even a combination of these two suggestions.

It is quite obvious that you do not want to play with it yourself. Is there a college near you that perhaps run Photoshop or other photographic creative courses? It would be an ideal (and probably simple) student project. If it is a whole class excercise, you will be able to pick and choose which one you prefer at little or no cost. Then you can have it printed normally.

Not sure if any of this helps!

Regards,
ep

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » May 23rd, 2018, 10:44 pm

Thank you all for her helpful advice. I am going to visit the biggest Snappy Snaps and also an Asda super store to find out if they can reproduce the photo in an acceptable size.

penym

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 24th, 2018, 8:38 am

eepee wrote:Okay you have a photograph and you want the ratio changed.

Simply having it printed at say, 12 inch height is not going to help because the width will now be 46 inches!

No I don't think she wants the ratio changed. I quote from her posts:

penym wrote:https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=140482#p140482
The print is 23 ins. Wide but only 6ins. In height.
I live in London and want to find a company who would be able to reproduce the photo making it bigger in height. I realize that it is a compromise between size and clarity, but does anyone know a company I could visit to do this work?

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=140601#p140601
I want the whole photo and am not wanting just to enlarge part of it.

So it's a straight full-photo enlargement she wants even if it ends up 46in wide.

I'm sure any decent sized printers could do this for her.

GS

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » May 24th, 2018, 10:24 am

Yes, I think you are right.

It is all this mention of 'bigger in height' that made me assume that the ratio was wrong.

Regards,
ep

Return to “Photography”