Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Conservation of energy and matter

Scientific discovery and discussion
jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Re: Conservation of energy and matter

Postby jfgw » March 21st, 2023, 7:04 pm

Tedx wrote:I did ask the question some years agon about wind turbines lifting internal weights, but the answer at the time said is wasn't feasible. I guess lifting a huge weight high up would seriously comprimise the tower - unless it was massively engineered to cope. Still, the excess energy can be stored elsewhere (weights, water, hydrogen etc), which is what they're working on, I'm sure.

A gravity battery. I do think it should be called a gravity cell, though, unless more than one are connected together. A single cell does not make a battery any more than does a single gun.

A weight inside the turbine tower would not be sufficient. You would need a system with much more capacity such as this (the article is paywalled but you can watch the video),

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/giant-battery-uses-gravity-to-convert-stored-energy-into-electricity-hq3r89b9r

And you thought that wind turbines were eyesores...

Julian F. G. W.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » March 21st, 2023, 7:23 pm

A British company is trying to do it with abandoned coal mines. Which helps the aesthetics of it I guess.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 21st, 2023, 10:52 pm

Tedx wrote:A British company is trying to do it with abandoned coal mines. Which helps the aesthetics of it I guess.

if perhaps not the smell?

Return to “Science”