Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Climate change - all gone strangely quiet in UK

Scientific discovery and discussion
scotview
Lemon Quarter

Climate change - all gone strangely quiet in UK

Postby scotview » March 20th, 2022, 11:53 am

Has anyone noticed how quiet the meja has gone on climate change.

Surely if we were following the science, Attenborough, Thunberg and the like should be even more hysterical than usual, with all this talk of North Sea rejuvenation, mini reactors, even clean coal.

I got the impression that science had proven that climate change was binary and the biggest threat to mankind. Serious question and sorry if this comes across as negative, it's not meant to be.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Re: Climate change - all gone strangely quiet in UK

Postby absolutezero » March 20th, 2022, 12:29 pm

Climate Change and Net Zero have had a collision with reality and reality (as always) has won.
Pretty simple.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 20th, 2022, 12:32 pm

scotview wrote:Has anyone noticed how quiet the meja has gone on climate change.

Not particularly... But have you seen the news recently? That should answer your question, IMO.

Of course, climate change mitigation strategy could turn out to be yet another 'victim' of Putin's war.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 20th, 2022, 12:35 pm

Perhaps Covid and Ukraine have stolen all the headlines. When you face imminent death then the environment is just a nicety.

There was also that climate meeting in Glasgow that led to pronounced coverage for what now seems like about 15 minutes.

Whilst many are concerned about it, it is not the number one priority for most people, who see it as a distant threat rather than an immediate one.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 20th, 2022, 12:35 pm

absolutezero wrote:Climate Change and Net Zero have had a collision with reality and reality (as always) has won.
Pretty simple.

No, not really.

The trouble is climate change IS reality. So it's more a case of human folly in a collision with reality.

But you are right in one way: In the long run reality will win. As always.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 20th, 2022, 12:44 pm

XFool wrote:
absolutezero wrote:Climate Change and Net Zero have had a collision with reality and reality (as always) has won.
Pretty simple.

No, not really.

The trouble is climate change IS reality. So it's more a case of human folly in a collision with reality.

Yes but the OP was not asking about what will happen, but rather why the climate change narrative has become subdued and largely ignored.

So it is a question about how the advocates are failing in their attempt to motivate the change they want to see. They have gone quiet. Thunberg was a thing for a while but she has gone quiet, or at least the media has moved on from the perceived novelty and publicity value of her stunts.

Blocking roads did not help their cause much either.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 20th, 2022, 1:14 pm

XFool wrote:
Pretty simple.

No, not really.

In the long run we are all dead. Reluctantly, I have to say that I think climate change is a reality but but so is the Ukraine situation and it is a matter of priorities. Not much point in worrying about what may or may hot happen in 30 or 40 years time when we might all be wiped out next week and the Ukraine refugees are not really concerned I would think about the possible effects of climate change.

Dod

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 20th, 2022, 1:19 pm

Lootman wrote:
Whilst many are concerned about it, it is not the number one priority for most people, who see it as a distant threat rather than an immediate one.

Until the next storm arrives and blows over a load of fences and trees.

Edit to add:
Oh, and a load of power lines. My power was off for six days here in the hovel, and I just got a cheque for £350 compensation! Not entirely sure why, as power cuts were a fact of life when I was a child.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » March 20th, 2022, 1:23 pm

If we all lived a thousand years which way would it go do you think?

Would the world be dominated by unremovable psychopathic loonies like Putin or would we all achieve wisdom, sustainability, fairness.

In a word, sanity.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 20th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:Whilst many are concerned about it, it is not the number one priority for most people, who see it as a distant threat rather than an immediate one.

Edit to add:
Oh, and a load of power lines. My power was off for six days here in the hovel, and I just got a cheque for £350 compensation! Not entirely sure why, as power cuts were a fact of life when I was a child.

I could be wrong but I am fairly sure that we had storms decades and centuries ago. And yes, there have always been power cuts. I am old enough to remember the 3-day week in the 1970s. We told ghost stories by candlelight.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 20th, 2022, 1:43 pm

Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:Whilst many are concerned about it, it is not the number one priority for most people, who see it as a distant threat rather than an immediate one.

Edit to add:

I could be wrong but I am fairly sure that we had storms decades and centuries ago. And yes, there have always been power cuts. I am old enough to remember the 3-day week in the 1970s. We told ghost stories by candlelight.

No you could be right. ISTR quite a good one in 1987 which blew down several trees around here.

Point is though, every storm we get now makes the headlines as the news outlets are so starving hungry for content. And blaming each storm on global warming (I dislike the euphemism 'climate change') makes easy content for the news media.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 20th, 2022, 1:48 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Edit to add:

No you could be right. ISTR quite a good one in 1987 which blew down several trees around here.

Point is though, every storm we get now makes the headlines as the news outlets are so starving hungry for content. And blaming each storm on global warming (I dislike the euphemism 'climate change') makes easy content for the news media.

Agreed, and then there is now all the overblown rhetoric used by the media.

So we don't have a storm any more, but rather an "atmospheric river", a "polar vortex" or a "beast from the east".

And the whole naming of storms thing just adds to the hyperbole.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » March 20th, 2022, 1:49 pm

If there's just one good thing to come out of the current energy crisis, it might be that we have learned the lesson that energy security is something we ignore at our peril. We really do need to revisit domestic energy resources of all kinds on the grounds of national security. I am unconvinced that the present set of no hoper politicians will learn this long term. They are far too easily blown of course by lobbyists and the next crisis that arrives. I live in hope that the country has learned a lesson about energy security. I have to say, I think I am likely going to be disappointed.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 20th, 2022, 1:59 pm

Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Edit to add:

Agreed, and then there is now all the overblown rhetoric used by the media.

So we don't have a storm any more, but rather an "atmospheric river", a "polar vortex" or a "beast from the east".

And the whole naming of storms thing just adds to the hyperbole.

The 1987 storm wasn't hyperbole actually, it even blew over the stock market as well as a load of trees. I remember a guy working for me at the time turning up and wailing about being ruined, all his share stock has been trashed.

I have the idea in my head that storms have always been given names, but a brief goggle suggests not. The practice began here in 2015 according to The Guardian, here:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... orologists

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » March 20th, 2022, 2:00 pm

Yes I noticed too. Nature of modern 24-7 media. Every TV news channel, every newspaper, Internet news.

Brexit was all that mattered. Then it was Covid. Then Climate crisis whilst cop26 was on. Then partygate. Now its Ukraine.

Nothing else matters whilst they're focused on one topic to exclusion of everything else.

You can sense were getting War fatigue now, as 2000 miles away, so probably be something else very soon.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 20th, 2022, 2:05 pm

Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Edit to add:

In the 1970s I was earning my living in Hong Kong and so stories of the 3 day week have taken on a mythological aura about which I know nothing but surely the power cuts then were nothing to do with the meteorological climate and thus nothing to do with the ability of the power companies to reconnect homes?

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 20th, 2022, 2:06 pm

Not completely out of the news. The Guardian has a front page article reporting freak heatwaves at both the north and south poles right now https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... scientists

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 20th, 2022, 2:08 pm

BullDog wrote:If there's just one good thing to come out of the current energy crisis, it might be that we have learned the lesson that energy security is something we ignore at our peril. We really do need to revisit domestic energy resources of all kinds on the grounds of national security. I am unconvinced that the present set of no hoper politicians will learn this long term. They are far too easily blown of course by lobbyists and the next crisis that arrives. I live in hope that the country has learned a lesson about energy security. I have to say, I think I am likely going to be disappointed.

I agree entirely and of course not just energy security but also defence security but that is off topic for this thread.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 20th, 2022, 2:10 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Edit to add:

In the 1970s I was earning my living in Hong Kong and so stories of the 3 day week have taken on a mythological aura about which I know nothing but surely the power cuts then were nothing to do with the meteorological climate and thus nothing to do with the ability of the power companies to reconnect homes?

Sure. I was addressing only the claim that power cuts are somehow a new and recent thing.

Of course go back to the 19th century and there was no power to be cut anyway.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 20th, 2022, 2:13 pm

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Edit to add:

Sure. I was addressing only the claim that power cuts are somehow a new and recent thing.

Of course go back to the 19th century and there was no power to be cut anyway.

You're kidding! How did they run their freezers and central heating and charge their Teslas??

Return to “Science”