Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Planet earth's spare tyre

Scientific discovery and discussion
88V8
Lemon Half

Planet earth's spare tyre

Postby 88V8 » June 17th, 2022, 3:54 pm

A comment at the foot of this article https://newatlas.com/environment/rising-beaches-antarctic-glaciers-melting/ surprised me, leaving aside the mangled linguistics
... the melting of trillions of tons of solid ice that had been locked up at high latitudes flowing into the oceans is migrating to the equator due to centrifugal force from the earth’s rotation. This is also causing a redistribution of both mass and gravitation to the equatorial regions.

Is this not going to affect the earth's tilt, and place strains on the tectonic plates?
Perhaps not this week of course.

V8

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Planet earth's spare tyre

Postby XFool » June 17th, 2022, 8:24 pm

88V8 wrote:A comment at the foot of this article https://newatlas.com/environment/rising-beaches-antarctic-glaciers-melting/ surprised me, leaving aside the mangled linguistics
... the melting of trillions of tons of solid ice that had been locked up at high latitudes flowing into the oceans is migrating to the equator due to centrifugal force from the earth’s rotation. This is also causing a redistribution of both mass and gravitation to the equatorial regions.

Is this not going to affect the earth's tilt, and place strains on the tectonic plates?
Perhaps not this week of course.

I don't know about that, but seems to me likely to affect the rate of rotation of the Earth over time. Stand by for Leap Seconds!

Return to “Science”