Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Neutron Star burst

Scientific discovery and discussion
XFool
The full Lemon

Neutron Star burst

Postby XFool » July 21st, 2022, 3:14 pm

They don't seem to me to explain this very well. But I assume how it works is that when one or more of the existing gravity wave detectors gets a signal of such an event that is what causes this new telescope to spring into action to try and find the visible light flash.

Neutron star chaser: Telescope spots dead suns crash

BBC News

Scientists have developed a new telescope to detect the collisions of dead suns known as neutron stars.

""When a really good detection comes along, it's all hands on deck to make the most of it," Danny tells me with his typical enthusiasm."

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Neutron Star burst

Postby pje16 » July 21st, 2022, 3:46 pm

try and get your head round this (from the article)

"The stars are made from a substance that is so heavy that a small teaspoon weighs four billion tonnes."

One tonne is hard enough to think about

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 21st, 2022, 3:51 pm

pje16 wrote:try and get your head round this (from the article)

"The stars are made from a substance that is so heavy that a small teaspoon weighs four billion tonnes."

My mum made gravy like that :lol:

--kiloran

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 21st, 2022, 3:57 pm

kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

are you built like a brick SH :D

what was her custard like ;)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » July 21st, 2022, 7:56 pm

kiloran wrote:

--kiloran

[T:]I thought my mother was a bad cook but at least her gravy used to move about. Yours just sort of lies there and sets.
[H:] That's the goodness in it.
[T:] That's the 'alf a pound of flour you put in it!

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » July 21st, 2022, 8:06 pm

pje16 wrote:

Coincidentally, listening to an audio book on "Audible" , title "A short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.

Currently on Chapter 3, about Supernova, explained in layman's terms. The Reverend Evans actually recorded about 30 supernova, just using his telescope on his back porch. Astonishing.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » July 22nd, 2022, 12:09 pm

XFool wrote:They don't seem to me to explain this very well. But I assume how it works is that when one or more of the existing gravity wave detectors gets a signal of such an event that is what causes this new telescope to spring into action to try and find the visible light flash.

Neutron star chaser: Telescope spots dead suns crash

BBC News

Scientists have developed a new telescope to detect the collisions of dead suns known as neutron stars.

""When a really good detection comes along, it's all hands on deck to make the most of it," Danny tells me with his typical enthusiasm."

Yes, they try to zero in optically, on the flash created when the neutron stars collide which lasts for about two days, by looking in the areas gravitational wave detectors indicate. This is necessary because the gravitational wave detectors only broadly indicate the area where the collision occurred. Once the flash has been detected pinpointing the area of interest other instruments are then deployed to study the object in more detail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61911047

A neutron star is a dead sun that has collapsed under its immense weight, crushing the atoms that once made it shine. They have such strong gravity that they are drawn to each other. Eventually they crash together and merge.

When that happens, they create a flash of light and a powerful shockwave ripples across the Universe. It makes everything in the Universe wobble, including, imperceptibly, the atoms inside each one of us.

The shockwave, called a gravitational wave, distorts space. When it is detected on Earth, the new telescope scrambles into action to find the exact location of the flash.
"We have to do this very rapidly because the object will disappear within two days."
The team work with other astronomers to study the collision in greater detail.

Once they pinpoint the collision, they turn to larger, more powerful telescopes across the world. These probe the collision in much greater detail, and at different wavelengths.

https://goto-observatory.org/

The Gravitational-wave Optical Transient Observer (GOTO): identifying the optical counterparts to gravitational wave events.

The GOTO project consists of multiple wide-field telescopes on a single mount, necessary to map the large source regions on the sky that accompany detections of gravitational waves with LIGO and Virgo.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 22nd, 2022, 5:07 pm

A similar coordinated look for optical & other wavelength counter parts to gamma ray bursts is also done.

Regards,

Return to “Science”