Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Luna 25

Scientific discovery and discussion
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Luna 25

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 20th, 2023, 3:08 pm

The failure of the Luna 25 mission is a pity despite my feelings for Russia at present. The search for water and minerals at the lunar south pole might have revealed some interesting results. Whilst I'm aware that the USSR <> Russia, the Soviets managed a soft lunar landing 57 years ago and I expect any of the old-timers who are still alive are probably weeping into their vodka. As a guess, the spacecraft failed to enter a stable lunar orbit prior to landing and consequently ploughed in. It will be interesting to see whether the Indian Chandrayaan 3 mission can succeed having failed at their last attempt, it came very close to landing, only failing in the last minute or so. It's due to land on Wednesday.

RC

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Luna 25

Postby stevensfo » August 20th, 2023, 4:18 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:The failure of the Luna 25 mission is a pity despite my feelings for Russia at present. The search for water and minerals at the lunar south pole might have revealed some interesting results. Whilst I'm aware that the USSR <> Russia, the Soviets managed a soft lunar landing 57 years ago and I expect any of the old-timers who are still alive are probably weeping into their vodka. As a guess, the spacecraft failed to enter a stable lunar orbit prior to landing and consequently ploughed in. It will be interesting to see whether the Indian Chandrayaan 3 mission can succeed having failed at their last attempt, it came very close to landing, only failing in the last minute or so. It's due to land on Wednesday.

RC

Yes, very sad. The discovery of large quantities of water will change everything, whether on the moon or Mars.

With so much solar power to produce electricity, they'll have water, oxygen and hydrogen on site, freeing up many tons for other payloads.

Steve

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 20th, 2023, 4:44 pm

I like the Python-esque terminology
Preliminary findings showed that the 800kg lander had "ceased to exist as a result of a collision with the surface of the Moon", it said in a statement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66562629

--kiloran

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 21st, 2023, 10:04 am

There were whispers of a Ukrainian squad waiting on the moon to blow it up. :o :D

Return to “Science”