Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Best Ancestry Website UK

Genealogy, Local, General
TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Re: Best Ancestry Website UK

Postby TahiPanasDua » April 11th, 2022, 3:41 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
TahiPanasDua wrote:I have only recently found out some basic and astounding facts about my mother's family hence my sudden interest in finding out more at the belated age of 77. My search will not be helped by my mother's infamous passing acquaintance truth. What little I do know about her family could be fictitious, at least in part. We basically never met them even though they lived a mere 30 miles away. I am only now wondering why. Dumb or what?

It is all suddenly fascinating!.

TP2.

When I delved into my family, I too realised that my Dad had a number of "half-Uncles" from a second marriage living only a few streets away. They were never ever mentioned, AFAIK and I have no idea they existed, nor of the more direct descendants I discovered and now occasionally email.

Arb.

Arb,
do you think one reason we can end up with such ignorance of near relatives is that children are so trusting and grow up totally accepting everything around them?

TP2.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 11th, 2022, 4:56 pm

TahiPanasDua wrote:I am an absolute beginner. I am considering tracing my grandfather. Should I join Ancestry? He was born in County Longford, Ireland but I believe that birth records in the 1800s were poor and often non-existent. He served in the Seaforth Highlanders. I think I can find his Scottish marriage certificate.

Where should I start. All advice greatly appreciated.

TP2

Don't bother with any site for now. Go round all the old folks in your family who might have known your grandfather and interview them thoroughly about him. Ask them to show you photos. Talk through the people, places and occasions the photos depict. Ask about other relatives. Try to prompt memories by taking the interviewee back in time to relive particular occasions. Record or make notes about everything they tell you with date, time, location of interview. Get copies of photos and documents they hold. File meticulously. Type up your notes and you will have a incredibly useful record unavailable anywhere else to refer to as you get into the detail of your family.

When this is satisfactorily completed you will know where to go next and can think about constructing a tree and filling in missing documentation from archives.
Good luck.

GS

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » April 11th, 2022, 5:43 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
TahiPanasDua wrote:I am an absolute beginner. I am considering tracing my grandfather. Should I join Ancestry? He was born in County Longford, Ireland but I believe that birth records in the 1800s were poor and often non-existent. He served in the Seaforth Highlanders. I think I can find his Scottish marriage certificate.

Where should I start. All advice greatly appreciated.

TP2

Don't bother with any site for now. Go round all the old folks in your family who might have known your grandfather and interview them thoroughly about him.

GS

GS,
Thanks. That's an eminently sensible approach. However, and perhaps unbelievably, I have no (known) living relatives.
TP2

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » April 11th, 2022, 5:50 pm

I should have added: no known living blood relatives other than my 2 sons.

Return to “History”