Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

A treasure trove

Genealogy, Local, General
XFool
The full Lemon

A treasure trove

Postby XFool » December 13th, 2020, 7:20 pm

Fit for a king: true glory of 1,000-year-old cross buried in Scottish field is revealed at last

The Guardian

Part of the Galloway Hoard, found in 2014, the piece is so spectacular it may have belonged to a monarch

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Re: A treasure trove

Postby Nimrod103 » December 18th, 2020, 7:28 pm

While on the subject of Anglo Saxon treasures, this interested me in today's Daily Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ction.html

It is clearly old, the rider is not using stirrups, which did not enter Western Europe until the 8th century (according to Wikipedia). However, I am not clear as to why it is confidently identified as early Anglo Saxon, rather than say late Roman.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » December 18th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:While on the subject of Anglo Saxon treasures, this interested me in today's Daily Mail:

It is clearly old, the rider is not using stirrups, which did not enter Western Europe until the 8th century (according to Wikipedia). However, I am not clear as to why it is confidently identified as early Anglo Saxon, rather than say late Roman.

How does one date bronze?

Could dating be based upon anything else found with it at the same level or has it been done by comparing the design with other designs that have been dated?

Interesting question.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 18th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:While on the subject of Anglo Saxon treasures, this interested me in today's Daily Mail:

How does one date bronze?

Could dating be based upon anything else found with it at the same level or has it been done by comparing the design with other designs that have been dated?

Interesting question.

Bronze artifacts cannot be radiometrically dated, so it must just be on stylistic grounds. From the article, it was found in a farmer's field by a detectorist. So no context.

It is just that the style doesn't look conclusively Anglo-Saxon to me, and I don't recall ever seeing Anglo Saxons being regarded as great horsemen, unlike say the Roman cavalry regiments. But I might be wrong.

Return to “History”