Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

British history podcast

Genealogy, Local, General
SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

British history podcast

Postby SteMiS » January 24th, 2021, 6:28 pm

I've been listening to this and very much enjoyed it. It's has a very good analysis of Roman Britain and certainly broadened my knowledge. However I'm now on episode 50 and we've pretty much just entered the dark ages after Roman withdrawal. I'm aware that the actual series is now up to 362 (and still going) and they've just met the Godwins. I'm not sure I can do another 312 on the dark ages. Anyone listened that far...?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: British history podcast

Postby dealtn » January 24th, 2021, 6:33 pm

SteMiS wrote:I've been listening to this and very much enjoyed it. It's has a very good analysis of Roman Britain and certainly broadened my knowledge. However I'm now on episode 50 and we've pretty much just entered the dark ages after Roman withdrawal. I'm aware that the actual series is now up to 362 (and still going) and they've just met the Godwins. I'm not sure I can do another 312 on the dark ages. Anyone listened that far...?

To what?

With the title thread alone to go on it's difficult to know to what you refer (although clearly possible to answer "No" to your direct question).

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 24th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Using the header as a search term I found this:

https://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com/

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 24th, 2021, 6:55 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Using the header as a search term I found this:

https://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com/

Thank you

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » January 24th, 2021, 8:25 pm

dealtn wrote:
SteMiS wrote:I've been listening to this and very much enjoyed it. It's has a very good analysis of Roman Britain and certainly broadened my knowledge. However I'm now on episode 50 and we've pretty much just entered the dark ages after Roman withdrawal. I'm aware that the actual series is now up to 362 (and still going) and they've just met the Godwins. I'm not sure I can do another 312 on the dark ages. Anyone listened that far...?

To what?

With the title thread alone to go on it's difficult to know to what you refer (although clearly possible to answer "No" to your direct question).

Apologies. I probably thought it was obvious from the header but I can see that you might read is as a general subject, i.e. A British History Podcast, not The British History Podcast - https://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com/ (as correctly identified by PinkDalek)

Worth a listen anyway...

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » January 26th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Sounds very interesting, and if I have time I will listen. Of course, the problem with the Romans (and pre Romans) in Britain is that there is virtually no written material. Everything is based on archaeology. Much the same applies to the Anglo-Saxons for the first 200 years. So I guess those times can be glossed over pretty quickly.

However by the 600s the first laws and charters appeared, and by the time of Alfred there was the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. A lot happened between 600AD and 1066AD, what with the Danes, unification of England, relations between the Celtic and Roman churches and relations with Normandy etc. Much of it is highly relevant to understanding the UK of today, but has tended to be ignored in the past by historians who believed that British civilization began in 1066 - when the reverse is probably more correct. So I can well understand why there should be so many episodes.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » January 26th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:

Sounds very interesting, and if I have time I will listen. Of course, the problem with the Romans (and pre Romans) in Britain is that there is virtually no written material. Everything is based on archaeology.

That's not completely true wrt the Romans although it's true the Celts had no written tradition. However there's a couple of early podcasts which cover sources.

Nimrod103 wrote:Much the same applies to the Anglo-Saxons for the first 200 years. So I guess those times can be glossed over pretty quickly.

However by the 600s the first laws and charters appeared, and by the time of Alfred there was the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

The Chronicle isn't very reliable until maybe the mid late 9th century. Again there's a podcast or two which discuss sources and their reliability.

Return to “History”